Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-20, 06:17 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Rowing Machine Recommendations

My husband wants to buy a rowing machine. Is the Concept 2 Rower still considered the best or are there new kids on the block that compete?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 07:15 AM  
lizr

It depends on what motivates him. C2 is a very good one but I found it soooooo boring. My husband got me a hydrow for my birthday and I am in looooove! Its expensive and you pay a monthly subscription for access to classes- similar to the pelaton concept but the design is a little classier than the c2 and it's very quiet. One tip- I emailed cs a question before I bought it and they responded and included a code for 15% off.

www.hydrow.com

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!
lizr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 11:52 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

thank you lizr. That looks cool and I will show him but I don’t think he needs all those features.
I gather you order online or is there a way to find a dealer to try it out?

I am hoping someone else chimes in with other recommendations.
Old 03-07-20, 12:44 PM  
Sissy B

My husband got me a Concept 2 for Christmas. I like it.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-20, 12:46 PM  
Sissy B

I had wanted one for years but held off because I wanted to be able to try one first and no one carries rowers locally and none of the local gyms have them. Before Christmas I finally got a chance to try an inexpensive rower at Academy.
Old 03-07-20, 01:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

The local fitness supply places around here have the Bodycraft brand. We are going to check them out. Has anyone here tried them.?
Old 03-07-20, 01:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
My husband got me a Concept 2 for Christmas. I like it.
I checked out the C2 website and it looks like the performance monitor doesn’t have an interactive component. Are there online programs you can use or download onto a tablet? I am asking because noticed there is a tablet mount accessory available.
Old 03-07-20, 03:32 PM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I checked out the C2 website and it looks like the performance monitor doesn’t have an interactive component. Are there online programs you can use or download onto a tablet? I am asking because noticed there is a tablet mount accessory available.
I'm new to rowing and I've been sick a couple of times this winter so I'm still learning the basics and doing short workouts (5 minute sessions as recommended by Concept 2) playing my own music right now. So I still have a lot to learn. I do know you can sign up for an online logbook and keep up with your workouts that way and that Concept 2 does offer a workout of the day.

As far as interactive workouts/apps, I did find this blog entry after a google search:

https://www.concept2.com/news/pm5-er...and-other-apps

Here are some of the apps that work with the Concept 2:

https://www.concept2.com/service/software/other-apps

and they also offer a podcast:

https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowe...orkout-podcast
Old 03-07-20, 10:15 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Concept 2 is the standard and the company really stands behind their products. They almost always have some kind of challenge going on and their online log book is highly motivating. Their rowers are well built, hold up well, and hold their value too.

All of the above statements are true, but there are other good rowers. I started with a Concept 2 but now have a monorail WaterRower. They are both excellent machines, but I like the feel of the WaterRower better. I've read a lot of elitist derogatory comments directed at all rower brands that are not Concept 2s. My reaction is a very pronounced eye roll.

Here https://sport.woot.com/review/B00TLV...&page=3&sort=0 is an air rower that looks sturdy and very reasonably priced. For Amazon Prime members the shipping is free.
Old 03-10-20, 08:51 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Thanks to all for your input.

Tags
concept 2, hydrow, rowing machine