Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-15, 09:06 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I just finished reading the book 'Body of Truth' by Harriet Brown. Her first book, 'Brave Girl Eating' is the story of her family's battle with her daughter's anorexia. It is an excellent book.

'Body of Truth' is part journalistic endeavor/part personal story. In my opinion, the personal story might infringe a little too much on the journalistic aspect, but it is still a very interesting and well-written discussion of weight and why and how our society is too hung up on it. She really challenges the ultra-thin beauty ideal from a health perspective.

I do have some misgivings about certain conclusions she draws, but she makes a good case for why we have to stop insisting on thinness as a health marker. It's definitely worth the read.

That said, we all do live in this culture and it can be very hard to silence that longing we have to be thin, especially in some respects, as we get older and remember wistfully our young bodies! I find really limiting the time I spend consuming media of all sorts to be helpful.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 09:16 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I just want to add that my intention was not to lose 40 lbs and be as thin as a teenager, it was just to eat healthier to be in a healthy weight range and to feel good, but once I started eating healthier and less the weight just dropped without my trying or obsessing about it. I just felt good eating healthy food and healthy portions and my goal was just 12 or 15 lbs down. It just kept going and I guess found it's set point of the weight I used to be many years ago. No obsessing involved. Like I said, this is what worked for me and may not work for anyone else. I was never one to obsess over these things anyway and I'm not about to start at 58 . It just feels good to eat healthy, nourishing food that energizes me, that is all.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 09:21 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I just want to add that my intention was not to lose 40 lbs and be as thin as a teenager, it was just to eat healthier to be in a healthy weight range and to feel good, but once I started eating healthier and less the weight just dropped without my trying or obsessing about it. I just felt good eating healthy food and healthy portions and my goal was just 12 or 15 lbs down. It just kept going and I guess found it's set point of the weight I used to be many years ago. No obsessing involved. Like I said, this is what worked for me and may not work for anyone else. I was never one to obsess over these things anyway and I'm not about to start at 58 . It just feels good to eat healthy, nourishing food that energizes me, that is all.
That's great! That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 09:59 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

Life is too short too spend all my time working out or obsessing about my body. There are other things I want to do! I've read various places that the healthiest people do have "a bit extra". I'm going with that.
A number of studies suggest those with 'a bit extra' live longer than the very thin, which can, in some lights, contradict those longevity seekers who insist on extreme calorie restriction.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 10:24 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
A number of studies suggest those with 'a bit extra' live longer than the very thin, which can, in some lights, contradict those longevity seekers who insist on extreme calorie restriction.
So true—especially if they smoke.

Something about being a bottom heavy "pear" and/or the omentum; opinions on fat placement vary.

Of course, us thinner "apples" are royally screwed ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 10:28 AM  
Rhonda

This is all very interesting as I am entering this stage of life and haven't changed anything but unfortunately have gained weight in the abs (which I have never had a problem with before). so now I am reading this and trying to figure it all out.

Are there any good books or websites explaining good vs bad nutrient dense food.

I don't want to get this off topic. You can even PM me if that is better.

Thanks
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 12:06 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I'm there, too. I'm happy with my size and I do have a bit of a tummy. I'm short waisted and I just can't or won't put that much effort into trying to rid myself of it. I've had four kids, I'll be 48 in a couple weeks, and I feel like I look good.

Life is too short too spend all my time working out or obsessing about my body. There are other things I want to do! I've read various places that the healthiest people do have "a bit extra". I'm going with that.
This is where I'm at. I'm turning 52 in September. I have put on weight in the last few years and it went to my tummy. I've lost some of it but I wasn't really trying. I'm also short waisted.

I'm too lazy to count calories. I rarely look at the scale. What I tried to do was cook more at home. There are days when I'm really tired when I come home from work. So we would go out to eat. I set a goal to cook at least four times a week. Eating leftovers doesn't count but still helps. I have a bunch of cookbooks from South Beach, Weight Watchers, Paleo, Bob Harper's, etc. I'm not following a specific diet. I just try to use healthier cookbooks. This goal helps with our finances too.

I also decided a long time ago that life is too short not to have any chocolate.
Old 06-05-15, 12:46 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I know you enjoy your Kundalini practice Lora. This is a thread by VF'er Sunday on her Kundalini weight loss experiment that deserves a repost here.

Maybe try a Kundalini sadhana? Sure can't hurt.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 01:15 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
This is where I'm at. I'm turning 52 in September. I have put on weight in the last few years and it went to my tummy. I've lost some of it but I wasn't really trying. I'm also short waisted.

I'm too lazy to count calories. I rarely look at the scale. What I tried to do was cook more at home. There are days when I'm really tired when I come home from work. So we would go out to eat. I set a goal to cook at least four times a week. Eating leftovers doesn't count but still helps. I have a bunch of cookbooks from South Beach, Weight Watchers, Paleo, Bob Harper's, etc. I'm not following a specific diet. I just try to use healthier cookbooks. This goal helps with our finances too.

I also decided a long time ago that life is too short not to have any chocolate.
I could have written this, except I turn 52 in 3 weeks and my husband is the cook.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-15, 02:30 PM  
Michele S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
I've been on a weight loss mission and in studying my recent "small" weight loss...only 4 pounds....for an awful lot of effort, I was noticing the backs of my legs slimming out a bit, but my belly still sticking out as proudly as ever in all of it's post-menopausal glory as it has been for the past 4 years since I've gained this weight and been post-menopausal - both were not totally related - so I'm not whining about getting old - I caused my weight gain, I know, but I've NEVER had fat like this in my abdominal region....low abdominal region like this in my life. My middle was always slender until recently.
I haven't read the whole thread but I've been post-menopausal since 2009 (had my ovaries out) and can't do any hormone-replacement therapy (including soy). I found that I *initially* gained fat in my abdomen but that it resolved over time. I didn't really change my workouts terribly much, I think it was more just the *time* going by... Maybe the hormone-axis shifts? No idea... But, I was pleasantly surprised.

I think that if you do the normal things to boost metabolism and support bone health (resistance training particularly but also weight-bearing cardio a few days a week), while eating healthfully/balanced-- things should eventually stabilize. You figure that during menopause, there are all sorts of shifts in your endocrine system and you need *time* to adjust.

If your midsection stays noticeably more large in proportion to the rest of you after whatever period of time, you might want to have some labs done. There could be something messing around with that endocrine balance (thyroid, ovary, insulin resistance... whatever) that can be addressed and a desirable side effect would be to get back your middle.

Finally, I don't want to delve into diet per se, but as we age, we can develop food sensitivities and *those triggers* can manifest in abdominal bloating. Again, that's something you can talk to your MD about and that might be what is going on...

Good luck!! I can relate to your frustration. But, there's hope. I think it will start to resolve.

Tags
abdominals, aging, belly fat, diet, menopause, menopot, muffin top, over 50, pooch, post-menopause