Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-12, 08:37 AM  
Michele S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
Hi Clare and Michele! Hugs, hugs, hugs!

I like that we're all still knocking around. We are a tough bunch. I just wish I had better advice on the lymphedema. It seems like a Catch-22, because the only way I know to build a better lymph drainage system is to exercise. I'm always shocked that they don't know more about exercise post-mastectomy/reconstruction. We mostly learn from one another's experience.
I *almost* said the same thing about being glad that we are all still here but didn't! LOL!

It is AMAZING to me that medical professionals don't know more about how to exercise safely than they do. My oncologist is the *only* one who is willing to send me for PT and to discuss exercise. He *wants* me to exercise... results in a better outcome. However, BOTH of my surgeons have told me to *just walk* and that I shouldn't bother trying to do more... that *most* people are happy to be told to *not* exercise.

What also is soooo darn frustrating to me is that before reconstruction, I was very very specific to my plastic surgeon that I wasn't willing to give up exercise for my fake boobies. I wasn't particularly *happy* with my post-mastectomy body without reconstruction but I knew that I would be even less happy without exercise to buoy me. He assured me time and time again that post-reconstruction, I wouldn't have any issues with exercise (since I didn't have LE post-mastectomy) and that I'd be able to do push-ups on my toes again in no time. Fast forward to today... I can't push a grocery cart, let alone do push-ups. AND, the onset of LE was (apparently) triggered from the reconstruction process if not the implants.

I keep telling both surgeons that I am certainly not saying that either of them did anything wrong and that all I want (at this point) is to figure out how to push myself safely. Frankly, I am happy with my reconstruction. I got a good cosmetic result and have said as much. Also, I am super-grateful to my surgeon for, ya know, saving my life! So LE pales in comparison to the the alternative had he left in lymph nodes that needed to come out!! Regardless, neither surgeon will even discuss exercise.

sorry for the vent...

Tags
shapewear, spanx