Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-23-11, 11:30 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

I'm with the others who recommend "rowing" using resistance bands/tubing.

I'd also suggest that instead of leaning forward (at the "catch") at the beginning of the movement, that you remain more upright so that you don't protract your shoulders forward, and then concentrate on retracting your shoulders before leaning back. You won't need too great a resistance to get the benefit of this and I would begin with a lighter resistance so that you can concentrate on the target muscles and strengthen them before increasing the resistance. Also, keep your elbows close to the body - don't row bringing your elbows out (bad form), but rather down and back, even if you think you'd get better retraction taking your elbows out.

I have a demolished rotator cuff but am still able to row everyday so long as I do as I described above and then ice my shoulder afterwards with a shoulder wrap.

In the future, if you were still interested in getting a rowing machine, I'd recommend a Concept 2.

ETA: You might be more comfortable "rowing" with your palms facing towards each other rather than using a pronated grip which is easy to do if you're using bands/tubing. (I've attached a couple of (tubing) handles to my C2 handle so that I have the option of rowing either way.)

Tags
back, back strength, posture, rowing, rowing machine