Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-09, 04:29 PM  
Hazel Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanharris View Post
I have put together some really great playlists for different workouts. Running to music that makes you keep pace is awesome!!
Can you share? I'm always looking for great running music!
Old 06-01-09, 04:30 PM  
andtckrtoo

Another one who says to keep with the scheduled workouts even if they are too easy. Running is tough on your body and progressing slowly but surely definitely is better than moving too fast and injuring yourself (found that out the hard way while training for a half marathon). Good luck and HAVE FUN!!
andtckrtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 05:58 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
You may have a fairly well conditioned aerobic capacity from other workouts, but your joints, ligaments, and tendons need to acclimate to the unique forces of running, and they do so more slowly than your muscles and cardiovascular system.
This can't be emphasized enough. I keep having to learn this (hard) lesson over and over again - when I resume running after a break, my cardio capacity is good, my muscles are strong, but my joints get really cranky. REALLY cranky, more so now that I'm in my mid-40's.

There's also a big transition (for me) going from the treadmill to running outside. Joints are a big limiting factor in safe adaptation - I've had to learn to respect that. I'm getting back into running again myself right now, and am constantly reminding myself not to do too much too soon, for exactly the reason Hazel describes.

I still love cardio coach though, and walk the "rest" intervals if I'm breaking in again. Or use the "sweat" playlist on my iPod

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-09, 06:26 PM  
Lollie
VF Supporter

Thanks everyone for your replies. Welcome Susan! Great to see you here.

Well, I have gained weight and I am trying to get this stuff off! When I ran several days a week, along w/ other types of cardio,. I was in good shape. Now that I am 47 it's a little harder to get the weight off but I am determined. I use to be so consistent w/ my workouts and I am on my way back to that consistency now. I will stick w/ the podrunner format as is but hit the cardio hard on the non running days w/ step, kickbox or spin. I also have CC but usually use it for spinning.
Again, thanks all.

Susan mentioned a play list. Is there a thread at VF w/ play lists for running? Let me do a search.

Lollie,
Lollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 12:22 PM  
Muria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollie View Post
Hello All,

It's been a while since I've posted on VF. I am beginning to run again. I downloaded DJ Steve Boy on my MP3 and did the first workout of the 5K interval run this morning. It was very easy.
Lollie

Thank you for asking this! I just did the first workout for the 5k interval run, and I didn't really even sweat (the room's cold, but not THAT cold).

I'm doing it on a rebounder until the weather gets better. I'm glad to know there's a good reason to stick with it at the easy level.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-10, 08:16 PM  
paidhi
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
Can you share? I'm always looking for great running music!
I make my own running music using an application called Repacer to change the bpm of my favourite songs to my preferred running pace. You can get a free limited functionality trial or purchase it from the developer for $25.

Lisa
paidhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 01:34 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Lollie, I have no advice to you about whether you should start at the beginning of the couch to 5K. (I actually think not, if you have been doing other workouts and have been a runner in the past.) I did want to chime in that - the bpms in the Podrunner intervals couch to 5K are way too slow for me to run to. I walk 140-150 bpms, I cannot jog in the 130s and 140s.

There is a highway to 8 K or something like that- these bpms are also a little slow for me. The Freeway to 10K starts with bpms in the 150s and goes up to about 160. It also starts with 3 or 5 minute running segments. Might be better for you all the way around.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running