Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-09, 10:56 AM  
sherry7899

Cardio Coach volume 8

Hi,

I actually completed Cardio Coach Volume 8 today. I know my legs are going to kill me tomorrow. I'd been putting off attempting this one, but figured what the heck

I'm sure my settings (speed/incline) are nowhere near as intense as most vf'ers, but I'm curious what settings do other people use for their speed/inclines during the challenges? It gives me something to aspire to.
Do you keep records of your settings for future reference?

Thanks!
Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 12:46 PM  
Sharonm
VF Supporter

Sherry, the one thing I love about Cardio Coach is the versatility. If I don't have as much energy from one workout to the next, it's okay. I can tell the days when I just don't have it. I love vol. 8 because of the hills and I can vary the workout depending on the machine I use. On the treadmill, I usually jog the hills, about 7 or 8 incline and 6-6.5 speed. If I choose not to jog, I use an incline of about 10 to 12 and stay at a 4.0 speed. I just did vol 8 yesterday and used the elliptical which only used resistance and kept the same incline. During the challenges, I used a resistance of 15 to 20. It was definitely tough.

ACE Group Fitness Instructor
Fit 4 Life
Sharonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 01:11 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

I use Cardio Coach to run outside (when it isn't this cold out! ), and so I make all the hills sprints. That makes CCv8 REALLY FREAKING HARD. I've actually only done it once - but I didn't buy it too long ago and it's been super cold here.
I think Sean recomends making note of your settings so that you can see improvement. Depending on where you are, you can expect greater or lesser improvement. When I first starting using cardio coach my steady was a 6.4 on the treadmill, it later got up to a 6.8, even a 7.0, but then it basically stayed there forever (well, until I stopped running so much and it went back down again! ).
The times when I've done Cardio Coach on the treadmill most recently (this past summer at the YMCA), I generally did the following:
Warmup: 6.0-6.5, 0%
Zone 1: either warmup speed or actual walking at 4.2 if I need the recovery between sprints
Zone 2: 6.8, 0%
Zone 3 hills: 6.8-7.0, 2-3%
Zone 3 sprints: 7.5, 0%
Zone 4 hills: 6.8-7.0, 4%
Zone 4 sprints: 8.0-9.0, 0%

Basically, I hate hills, so my incline percentages are kind of wussy. Also, some treadmills have a natural incline at 0% to try to simulate outdoor running, while other treadmills should be set at 0.5-1% as a base level.
Old 01-18-09, 02:20 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for the responses! I really appreciate it.

Wow, both of your speeds are WAY faster than I am! I have a lot of room to improve, which I hope to do this year. As for incline, my treadmill goes up to level 10, and so far I've reached level 8. Those eight minute hill climbs are killer

I should write down my settings and see if I can meet or exceed them each time. I'll have to put a notebook next to my cds...

Sherry
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 03:22 PM  
ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonm
Sherry, the one thing I love about Cardio Coach is the versatility. If I don't have as much energy from one workout to the next, it's okay. I can tell the days when I just don't have it. I love vol. 8 because of the hills and I can vary the workout depending on the machine I use. On the treadmill, I usually jog the hills, about 7 or 8 incline and 6-6.5 speed. If I choose not to jog, I use an incline of about 10 to 12 and stay at a 4.0 speed. I just did vol 8 yesterday and used the elliptical which only used resistance and kept the same incline. During the challenges, I used a resistance of 15 to 20. It was definitely tough.

Wow Sharon. I do the same for the V8 hills except my incline is 6% and I can tell you, it is a struggle for me. I also do it at 4 mph and 12-15% incline, but V8 challenge 2 is the least favorite in the entire CC series for me. I have a huge dread factor for it, this hill is absolutely impossible for me to run on flat roads. I am able to sprint for all the hills in the other volumes,, but the cadence in this one just does not work on flat roads for me. Thankfully V8 challenge 3 is so phenomenal that I am willing to endure Challenge 2 ( I hate mixing and matching various CC segments..). I am trying to be less aggressive with my settings now so that I don't have this huge fear of Challenge 2, but I don't do V8 that much. V7... I just love it, love it, love it..

Sherry: Don't even look at Ali's settings.. she is a real runner...speedy Gonzales
Old 01-18-09, 03:24 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooty
Sherri: Don't even look at Ali's settings.. she is a true runner...speedy Gonzales
Oh, I am so NOT!! But I was wondering when you'd pop into this thread Ooty!
Old 01-18-09, 03:35 PM  
ooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs
Oh, I am so NOT!! But I was wondering when you'd pop into this thread Ooty!

Dearest, my steady state is 6mph and I have to work hard at that. So, you see..

I gave up trying to improve my performance, I just want to have fun and exercise to keep my arteries clean. But I need the endorphin rush, so I don't enjoy 4mph at a steep incline. I like short bursts of heart-pounding sprints.
But my sprained ankle doesn't like sprints. So I have to compromise.

ETA: BTW, Sherry huge congrats! I am in awe that you attempted V8 so soon. Way ahead of your schedule
Old 01-18-09, 06:16 PM  
Becky

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikruegs
I use Cardio Coach to run outside (when it isn't this cold out! ), and so I make all the hills sprints. That makes CCv8 REALLY FREAKING HARD.
I'm so glad you said this! I also use CC outside. I'm blessed to run in a place that's pretty hilly, but a lot of times I have to substitute sprints for hills when a hill is not close. I have only done CCV8 once myself because I ran that on a pretty flat path and substituted sprints for most of it. I forced myself to finish but have been too afraid to ever pick it up again.

I finally did a Cardio Coach on the treadmill for the very first time this week (Volume 1) and was surprised at how much I liked doing it on the treadmill! I kept my incline at 6 and speed about 5.5 for hills. I'm pretty sure I could have cranked the speed up to 6, but being my first time, I took it safe.

My sprints are not impressive... I keep my incline at 1 and my speed at 7. I'm hoping to improve that though. I don't know why, but it sure feels like I run faster outside. Must be the fresh air.

Anyway thanks to this thread, I'm going to dust Volume 8 off and try it on the treadmill. And wow, I'm excited about it!

Thanks!

The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows . ~ Buddha
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 07:21 PM  
jlar

I tried Vol. 6 this week on the treadmill at the gym yesterday. I am SORE and TIRED today!! I just did Challenge 1 & 2 but I ran the sprints and cranked up the incline on the hills. I usually do CC on the elliptical so this was a jump for me as I don't run. My hips and knees are talking to me today!
jlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 10:02 AM  
violingal3

Since Volume 8 is the hill workout, I mostly stick to 4.0 mph and 10% incline (my treadmill's max) for all the challenges. If I need to be in the red zone, I bump it up to 5.0 mph. I think I need to vary things a bit more - increase my speed and decrease my incline because 10% on all the challenges makes for a dreadful hour. I have this mentality that when Sean says "hill climb" that means I have to be at 10% all the time!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio coach, digital, mp3 workouts