Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-09, 04:44 PM  
*pet*art*girl*
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76
I agree. Some people look better bigger, because that's how their body is supposed to look. Of course, she might look ill in that thinner photo because of HOW she lost the weight. A liquid diet isn't something long term. She overdid it with that thin photo, I think, because she may have just been so happy she could lose the weight at all. But once she adjusts to a healthy for her size, I think she will be much happier.
I remember watching that episode, when she was wearing those jeans and wheeling out the fat in the wagon! I have to say, I now think she looks really dehydrated and not particularly healthy in that photo. Definitely underweight for her frame.

In the red dress picture, she is Va-Va-Va-Voom. Sure she is overweight, but she is owning her size and "working it". That is definitely *not* the dress to wear if you want to fade into the wallpaper, that's for sure.

“Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion; you must first set yourself on fire.”
- Reggie Leach

“A big shot is a little shot that kept shooting” - Unknown
"I caught myself cheating! Shame on me!" - Cathe
*pet*art*girl* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 10:32 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie

The White House Black Market store is one of the few places that I can find things that fit me. I can't always wear black and white though. That gets old!!

What is someone like me to do? I am 52 years old, so even though the short, little junior style dresses fit me, they are not appropriate for my age level.
I've never looked there, but might now that you've mentioned it.

Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear would tell you to have everything tailored, but I know from experience what a pain that is.

Try being pregnant and petite these days--many of the maternity stores don't carry XS anymore and there are few petite-length pants. Everyone tells me to just buy bigger-sized regular clothing, but it's not proportioned right and just makes me look silly (shirts end up huge and boxy on top if they're the right size to fit over my belly).

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 11:07 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima
I've never looked there, but might now that you've mentioned it.

Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear would tell you to have everything tailored, but I know from experience what a pain that is.
Tell me about it! Honey, ALL my slacks and jeans are tailored, and it is mighty expensive! But it comes with having a big butt 10 inches bigger than my waist. Back in the day, my butt was a full 16 inches bigger than my waist. Those were great times
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 11:09 PM  
daisysunshine

This is so funny...
people who are tiny can't find clothes small enough for them to wear, and have to show in childrens.
people who are big (or just really curvy) can't find clothes that fit well enough and have to shop in bigger sizes.

Why can't someone out there just make normal sized clothes? LOL

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 11:13 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine
This is so funny...
people who are tiny can't find clothes small enough for them to wear, and have to show in childrens.
people who are big (or just really curvy) can't find clothes that fit well enough and have to shop in bigger sizes.

Why can't someone out there just make normal sized clothes? LOL
I know. For once, the men have it spot on. Their pants say 32 because their waists are a size 32. Their inseams are correct and everything is as it says. And don't even get me started on bra shopping
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 08:38 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
It's really getting bad. It seems that every year the clothing gets bigger and I have a harder time finding things to fit. I can usually find shirts or sweaters to fit, but pants and dresses are impossible.

I recently went on a search for a dress for New Year's Eve. It was unbelieveable how much trouble I had finding a dress small enough. The department stores (Macys, Dillard, Nordstroms) that carry a nice selection of special occasion dresses don't carry anything smaller than a size 2. First of all, a size 2 is still too big for me, but even so, I think I saw maybe ONE size 2 dress in all of my searching. Size 4s were pretty rare as well.
I'm even noticing this and I'm not a small person. I recently went to Christopher and Banks and ended up with a size four skirt that was a bit big. It was the smallest skirt I could find in the whole store, everything else was too big. I am short, but I'm not petite. I'm just not a tiny person. But I was having a hard time finding something that wasn't too big.

I've noticed it at other stores as well. Vanity sizing has gotten so bad that truly small people will have to start shopping for negative numbers.

I'm currently decluttering and found some clothes I wore many, many years ago. Some were size 14 and although they were too big, they didn't exactly fall off. 14's today probably would.
ddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 08:49 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj
I'm even noticing this and I'm not a small person. I recently went to Christopher and Banks and ended up with a size four skirt that was a bit big. It was the smallest skirt I could find in the whole store, everything else was too big. I am short, but I'm not petite. I'm just not a tiny person. But I was having a hard time finding something that wasn't too big.

I've noticed it at other stores as well. Vanity sizing has gotten so bad that truly small people will have to start shopping for negative numbers.

I'm currently decluttering and found some clothes I wore many, many years ago. Some were size 14 and although they were too big, they didn't exactly fall off. 14's today probably would.
Isn't it ridiculous? Here's a perfect example of what's going on with the sizing. White House Black Market has added a new size to their line-up. It's a "00". For years, I've been a size "0" in their clothing. What now? Do I have to move down to "00", or did they actually make smaller clothing? I doubt that very much. It will be interesting to go in the store and try things on and find out!

I literally cannot shop in regular department stores, or even stores like Ann Taylor. There is simply nothing in these stores to fit me.
Old 01-04-09, 10:09 AM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger
Terry, I wonder about that too, because I just go to my GP every year so I can renew my Synthroid. I asked him about Armour, and he said "Gross, that's ground up pig thyroid." I don't feel bad, but my energy is often low and my skin and hair are both still extremely dry and I am freezing constantly. I am not rapidly gaining weight anymore though (thank God).
I'm among several on the board who saw significant improvement with Armour. I'm a work in progress, but I've lost a needed 40 pounds and have been much more functional since I started taking it. (I've had other factors too, like myofascial pain, contributing to fatigue.)

If Synthroid isn't solving problems, no matter how healthy your labs say you are, I think doctors should keep looking for answers.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 10:14 AM  
sherry7899

I need to find a doctor who will prescribe Armour. I've been on thyroid meds for almost twenty years. Even though the labs say my levels are good, I still feel tired most of the time. It's very frustrating.

Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 10:48 AM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Isn't it ridiculous? Here's a perfect example of what's going on with the sizing. White House Black Market has added a new size to their line-up. It's a "00". For years, I've been a size "0" in their clothing. What now? Do I have to move down to "00", or did they actually make smaller clothing? I doubt that very much. It will be interesting to go in the store and try things on and find out!

I literally cannot shop in regular department stores, or even stores like Ann Taylor. There is simply nothing in these stores to fit me.
You know, my beloved Uncle Bert had the same issue - 4'11", very trim. He was impossible to shop for.

Its hard for me to imagine that Uncle Bert would post about his size issue (I'm just too tiny) so freely.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oprah winfrey