Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-11, 05:05 AM  
Saffie J

Rowing machine / Rower (for posture and strengthening back muscles)

Hi, I'm hoping to get your opinions on rowing machines if you have one at home or use this at the gym. It's not something I have considered before, however after a month of seeing a physiotherapist and massage therapists for a minor shoulder injury (what I thought was minor), I have been advised that no amount of physio or massage will probably help unless I strengthen my back muscles and that rowing would help these muscles in a few months.

I saw a very good massage therapist today who advised that even when lying down my shoulders protract forward, my muscles are very tight and I have limited movement on the left hand side (the side of my shoulder problem). He also asked if there was history of arthritis in my family. I've known for a while my posture is very bad but never done anything about it. Today was a bit of a wake up call, especially the mention of arthritis after seeing the pain my grandmother has had from it.

I'm keen to buy a rower now and have seen a cheapish one on ebay that I am considering buying (I can't afford a "normal" priced one at the moment so think it's better to get something that I can afford, at least for the time being and to see if I use it). Since my shoulder problems I have had to stop all upper body work (especially push-ups), so I'm missing any upper body work at the moment and just sticking to treadmill, rebounding and callanetics.

Sorry for my long rambling post! To finally get to the point, I would be interested to hear your experienes with rowing: do you find it's a good workout, has it helped your posture, does anyone have a similar experience to me that can offer some other suggestions.... Many thanks
Saffie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 09:42 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

I haven't tried rowing, but a Concept 2 has been on my 'wish list' for a while. Done correctly, it definitely would help with posture. But there's a lot you can do without having a rowing machine.

Are you now able to start up upper-body workouts again? (If not, then I wouldn't think you could do rowing either, though most of the work is supposed to come from the legs). If so, I suggest the following:

Make sure to do more back work (like 1-arm rows, pulldowns, rear flys, superman exercises) than chest (perhaps 2 back exercises for every chest exercise for now). You could even do a rowing motion using a resistance band or cord wrapped under your feet, focusing on opening the chest and squeezing the back (getting the same upper-body benefit as an expensive rowing machine, but for a fraction of the cost).

Omit any isolated anterior shoulder work (this just makes the front tighter, and is superfluous anyway, as chest work hits that area well enough). My posture improved noticeably (though it wasn't horrible to start with) when I decided to skip isolated anterior delt exercises (I still sometimes do combo moves like front-to-side raise moves).

Be sure to do rear shoulder flyes (if there are none in a workout, then do them instead of the anterior raises).

Stretch the chest and anterior shoulder area after every workout and throughout the day. A cobra stretch (yoga pose) is a nice one.

HTH!

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 11:14 AM  
fluffydogfan

Yeah, I'm with Kathryn on this one. If all you need to do is strengthen your back muscles, a rowing machine is a pricey way of doing that. There are many cheaper options.
A light resistance band can mimic that rowing motion. Wrap it around a post or something stable in your house, take an end in each hand and pull back with your hands at chest level. Think about squeezing your shoulder blades together. Control the motion while you are pulling back and releasing forward. Do high reps, 20 to 30, for a couple of sets.
You can also do band pull-aparts. Hold the band with your arms stretched out in front of you at chest level. Pull your elbows back, again squeezing together your shoulder blades. High reps for a couple of sets.
I have a C2 rower and I love it. It's a great low-impact cardio, and it's wonderful for your back and legs and core, but it just seems an odd choice if back strengthening is your only goal.

Katie
fluffydogfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 11:41 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have a Tunturi rowing machine. I used to use a fancy one in the gym and wanted something that worked in a similar way without the cost, so I bought the Tunturi. Rowing is a great overall body exercise. It works the legs, core, and upper body, and the rowing movement feels great once you get used to it. It is, however, a tough cardio workout, so I don't do it for as long as other types of cardio such as the treadmill and stationary bike. So, as much as I would love to have a Concept 2, I don't buy one because the amount of time I would spend on it would not justify the cost. The Tunturi cost me somewhere in the $300 range.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-11, 12:35 PM  
bee1forfitness

I brought a rowing machine years ago and it was one of my best fitness purchases, talk about a total body workout, I use that machine till it literally failed apart. I think it was a Nordic Track, I do remember it relatively inexpensive, $300-$350, so I think you could get a good workout without a expense model, however, with a little more money a better model might be more effective and easier to use. I lost weight and really toned up my total body arm, legs, and it was an awesome cardio workout to. Sear has this one similar in looks but a lot cheaper than the Concept 2, it's got 1 review 4 out of 5 stars HTH
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-11, 06:24 AM  
Saffie J

Thank you so much for your helpful replies, it is greatly appreciated. I'm just on for a minute so will report back tomorrow when I've gone through this properly. Again, many thanks.
Saffie J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back, back strength, posture, rowing, rowing machine