Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-22, 12:39 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

The digital downloads have chapters every mile for the Walk A 5K (The Fun Way) workout.

I have not seen a countdown timer yet. ☹️ (I'm a fan of the countdown timer)
Old 05-25-22, 12:47 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floren View Post
Hi, the back of the DVD cover says:
"Please note that our mileage is approximate, and the step count equivalent of each walk (warm up and cool down included) is about 3.1 miles."
Yes I understand that, but it would be nice to know you’ve “approximately “ entered mile 2, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
The digital downloads have chapters every mile for the Walk A 5K (The Fun Way) workout.

Yes, but they flow right into the next, they don’t stop at each chapter point so you have no way of knowing you’ve moved into mile 2, etc.

I have not seen a countdown timer yet. ☹️ (I'm a fan of the countdown timer)
Yes, but they flow right into the next, they don’t stop at each chapter point so you have no way of knowing you’ve moved into mile 2, etc.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 04:04 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

Total Body Strength Training

I did not get the bundle since I didn't want the walking DVD.

My DVD’s were scheduled to arrive Friday, the 27th and I got 4 of them today, the 25th. I did the Total Body Strength Training – the 48 minute one. It was easier than I thought it would be. Not knowing what to expect, I used 10 and 5 lb weights. I did have to modify some since my knees don’t allow me to use weights for the lower body. The rep count is mainly 10 reps at a slower pace, than 10 more at either pulsing or at a faster pace. She does a series of exercise and then repeats them.

I’m not great at doing break downs, so I will leave that to others. I liked the set with just Jessica. I could barely hear any music – was wondering if there was any.

I did a fast forward through the 30 minute workout and the band workout. I liked what I saw. I will probably do these Friday.

This DVD will work for me for a lighter weight day – but next time I will go heavier.

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 04:41 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I haven't ordered any of these and have a question on the strength one. I can't imagine doing an entire strength workout with only two sets of weights. I usually use more like six sets. Comments please? Thanks!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 04:55 PM  
JENILU

(Highlighted the bit of a review if thats all u want to see, lol)

Joni, I have only done a quick preview, but it seems to move slow enough (not cardio weights) where you can change easily if you know what works for you in those exercises. Since I haven't done them, it may take a minute to learn what she is gonna be doing so you know (not sure) As far as that, you can probablly get close to the same idea as what I am telling you by watching previews. I'm sorry.

All I have tried so far (from everything, I pick the bonus, lol) is the bonus band workout on one of the weights DVDs. I am having pretty strong neck and shoulder issues right now, but was doing bands in PT so thought it was safe to try. I could have used a little more stretching at the end, but other than that, I thought it was pretty well balanced. Meaning she didn't way over do shoulder and chest. It was a little light all around (could be because my band was light, might be a challenge with stronger resistance). I think, next time I will wear a circle (booty?) band around legs to feel like I did a little more for legs. Personally, I hate when she goes to the floor, but she only did one set on those so I was ok with it. I didn't write down all the exercises, sorry, but I always feel there are only so many band exercises a workout of this type does.
After I get my block, I hope to try the weight workouts because they appear to be slower, altho traditionally I like cardio weights because it seems to swell me less (strong lactic acid/inflammation response if not careful). It APPEARS to be a change for me in that way, but i am hoping a doable one. it will be a learning curve on the disks.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 06:28 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks, Jenilu. Just a quick clarification. My question is more about whether I would be satisfied with a workout that can be done using only 2 sets of weights when I'm used to workouts that require more - like maybe it would be too easy if you only need 2 sets of weights to do it. I'm digging myself a really confusing hole here, aren't I.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 07:07 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Thanks, Jenilu. Just a quick clarification. My question is more about whether I would be satisfied with a workout that can be done using only 2 sets of weights when I'm used to workouts that require more - like maybe it would be too easy if you only need 2 sets of weights to do it. I'm digging myself a really confusing hole here, aren't I.
Haha, i think I get what you mean, but being more experienced then me, someone else would probably have to answer. I should say, I've been lifting, etc, for many years, but stay at a beginner level. The only time I really notice a need for more than what they say is when they try to use 3 or 5 lbs for large muscle groups. i hate that. my shoulders and chest can not handle much more than 3 tho. Never have been (mostly because of pain). i believe its supposed to be the type of workouts you can go pretty heavy with when ready or needed tho.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 07:44 PM  
bjones

I thought the walking one had each mile chaptered separately? Or is that she doesn't actually tell you when you've passed each mile?
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 08:07 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
I thought the walking one had each mile chaptered separately? Or is that she doesn't actually tell you when you've passed each mile?
You can click to start each mile separately but if you start with mile 1, it flows right into 2 without any notification.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 10:02 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I haven't ordered any of these and have a question on the strength one. I can't imagine doing an entire strength workout with only two sets of weights. I usually use more like six sets. Comments please? Thanks!
Joni,

I haven't done the strength workouts yet, but I would think you could change out the weights as you see fit. The Split Sessions Upper and Lower Body workouts, she does suggest using three sets of dumbbells. And, there are compound moves, so you'll probably go a tad lighter than you would normally if focusing on a specific body part only. With Total Body Strength Training she is recommending only two sets of weights, but it looks like there are balance moves combined, which would have you again going lighter with the weight. On the cover she's doing leg lifts holding lighter weight, while getting ready to do something else with the other weight. With Work It, she again suggests only two sets of dumbbells, but it looks like core is used more here and more balance, too! Generally, Jessica doesn't do very much traditional strength training, though Lift and Shift had more slower lifting than most she'd done previously.

If you haven't already, check out the clips on Amazon and it should give you an idea of the speed between exercises. Like you, I'm used to changing out weights according to the body type I'm targeting, but you might have to pause the DVD to do so.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, strong + centered, strong + centered reviews, strong+centered series