Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-22-22, 08:49 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla b Body Shaping Day 16 Recovery Movement.

The car was a mess after our trip to the Grand Canyon so I took it to the car wash to clean off the dirt and bugs. Just as it was finished we got thunder, lightening, the sky opened and - downpour. Wouldn't you know. When I got home DH and I wiped it off so it was looking pretty again. The rain didn't last long, the sun came out and the day got humid. We need rain so I'm not complaining. It's looking as though we might get some more rain.

Anita, I'm amazed no one wants those shells. I know I've seen shells for sale in shops by the ocean. Maybe you could sell them on ebay or Craig's List. Well done on the coffee maker. I had a simlar thing happen couldn't find the cutting part of the egg slicer (I took the slicer apart to clean it). I searched and searched and decided I needed to buy a new one and found the part in the dishwasher yesterday. I guess I didn't search as well as I thought I had. The beauty of baking projects is you do get to eat the results - it's rare something turns out so badly you can't eat it. I wonder if you could find solar lanterns online. It seems like something Lowes or Michaels would carry.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 06:43 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I've got an appointment with the arts supply store next week to look at my seashells - hopefully I'll be able to donate the shells to them. Today I'll be playing some Carcassonne, then putzing around in my yard and house to get it ready for being gone for a bit - doing laundry also. I'll be going for a walk also. Tonight there's a equinox celebration for Latvians in a nearby park - I might try to go, but I won't be staying till midnight as usually expected at these things.

Paula, hope your rain does good and not the flooding that I've been seeing in the news lately. I had bought a lot of the shells through a scientific source supplier of natural objects, so paid lots for them as a kid. My dad collected coins, I did shells - it was a hobby we both liked. I loved my shells, but found out these perfect shells were perfect because they collected the live animals and killed them for their shells . I stopped collecting when I learned that. I've got a few tourist quality shells from little bags you can pick up, so not all are really valuable. I don't think the shops I used to go to still exist. Collectors now want the scientific and common name, plus the collection location down to the exact beach of collection - I never had that info beyond the names. The shells have lost their labels and are simply in a grocery bag now - the only thing I've kept labelled is my cowrie collection which I've mounted in a box for display - that, I'm keeping. The solar lamps are just an urge to get - not really needed.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-22, 08:30 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 17 Cardio followed by Tamiless Stretching for Flexibility.

Beautiful day, so we flew to Catalina and took the shuttle into town. Had a really nice day walking to our favorite places and eating junk food.

Anita, I hope the art supply store wants your shells. Where are you going that you're getting your house and yard ready to be gone for a bit? Did I miss something? I like the visual of you and your Dad sharing the collecting experience. I would be unhappy and put off by learning they killed the animal inside to get a perfect shell too. No chance our rain will turn into the type of flooding they had in Wynoming/Yellowstone. Our rain only lasted about 10 minutes before the sun came out and it all evaporated. Solar lights are cool, I have my front entry sidewalk lined with them. Fairy lights in my bamboo tree and a Fairy with a lighted moon in a planter by the bird bath. At night they make my entry beautiful, if I do say so myself.

I hope Laura is having some fun in WV. Last we heard from her she seemed to be having a stressfull time.
Old 06-24-22, 06:37 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'll be packed and ready to go to Madison shortly. I didn't go to the equinox celebration last night as I was doing laundry for this trip. I've got a carload of stuff packed for Salvation Army drop-off also - I'll do that on my way out of town. It's weird for me to take a trip now - haven't done so in the last two years because of Covid, but am looking forward to seeing friends and not worrying about Gus being boarded in his last condition - I wouldn't be going if he was still here. It'll be good to see Madison again also.

Paula, I'm going to Madison for our vet school's 35th reunion - 1987 class is getting recognized. I'm then going to West Allis to stay with my Carcassonne/Spades friends and will see my old house - haven't seen that in over a decade now. I'll be coming back Tuesday - not sure how my access to this group will be to start a new thread. I don't think I can do it by phone, but may take my iPad with me.

Hope Laura is doing well in WV.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-24-22, 09:42 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 18 Moderate Weights. DH and I also went to Dana Point Marina and had a nice walk there.

We also went out to lunch with a friend and generally had a nice day.

Anita, oh of course, I should have remembered you were going to your college reunion. I do recall you mentioning that. I'm glad you're getting a chance to visit old friends and check out your favorite haunts.

I hope Laura in having fun in WV and hope you have fun in Madison. Maybe I'll be talking to myself for a few days.
Old 06-24-22, 10:40 PM  
Vantreesta

I'll try to keep you company, Paula! My car badly needs a washing too. All the bugs, ugh!

Anita, enjoy your trip to Madison and seeing friends!

Laura, I totally hear you on needing time alone. Big introvert here too. I'm so used to being alone (except for Cyric) that it's surprisingly an adjustment to hubby actually working more reasonable hours after working insane hours the past two years!

We drove out to Colorado last Friday. We went to their Renaissance Festival on Saturday and Sunday, hiked on Monday, went to Denver (super psyched to see Coors Field!) and then up Pikes Peak on Tuesday, and drove home on Wednesday. Yesterday was a lazy day, watched the Twins day game and then dozed off after it was over. I was so happy to pick Cyric up from the kennel yesterday morning. I missed him so much!

Today I did my PT and a new calf warmup with Caroline Jordan then ran a mile, then a piriformis practice with Helen Clare and the post-run premix from Tracey Staehle's Yoga Solutions. The premixes on that DVD are definitely not seamless! This was my first real workout day (other than the hikes Monday) since the podiatrist told me the 3rd that I need surgery on both feet. I'm researching other options but it's been very hard to find motivation with that weighing in me. Felt good to get it done today. I even ran while it was 88 and real feel was like 92! I don't know how this winter girl isn't melting on hot summer runs!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 07:12 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I’m in Madison! Yesterday our class got together for a cruise on Lake Mendota and a dinner - I just went to the dinner. It was kind of hard to remember names . Today is supposed to be a rainy day - I may still walk around the campus and visit a park I liked this morning. Our official reunion is at the vet school at 11. This afternoon I may stop by some favorite stores. I tried meeting up with a friend here in town, but she’s gone for the weekend. Tomorrow I’ll drive to Milwaukee to see some more friends and will stop by and see my brother also. I brought my iPad, so hopefully I can start a thread tomorrow.

Paula, glad you’re having an enjoyable time!

Vantreesta, Nice trip! Sounds like a lot of fun! Glad you’re reunited with Cyric - I wouldn’t be doing the traveling if Gus were still alive as he would still be waiting for knee surgery and needing some special care. It’s kind of freeing in a sad way for him to be gone. I’m glad your feet didn’t limit your touring and hiking too badly - what type of surgery were you planning on getting for your feet?

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-25-22, 08:42 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good morning. I figured I'd catch up today and start the week fresh. We got home on Wednesday; it was a pretty uneventful trip. Since we didn't get home until 6:30, the evening was pretty short with getting everything inside and unpacking the critical items.

Before we left, DH started coughing with a tiny amount of blood coming up. That trend continued on the trip home and he got a doctor's appointment Thursday afternoon. A cough is one symptom of COVID, so he had to go early enough to have a COVID test before the appointment. We sat outside in the car for two hours before they finally said to come on in. Apparently, the hour plus test ended in an error result and they were rerunning it, but they went ahead and saw him. (No one thought he had COVID and the test finally came back negative.) They said that small of an amount of blood is usually indicative of bronchitis and since DH went through old dusty papers at his mom's house (with a dust allergy), that diagnosis had already occurred to us. They gave him some medication and he seems to be improving a little. On Thursday, between the forever medical appointment and all the other stuff I took care of, it was an absolutely crazed day. Before we went to bed, I looked at DH and said, "I didn't take a shower today." I had been so busy, there was no time for it.

Yesterday was less crazed, but still busy. I only did one load of laundry, after two on Thursday, and I did take a shower! I took DH to his PT appointment and dropped in at my chiropractor's. Then, I took DH for the x-ray the doctor ordered the day before. We also pick up food for him and today I'll pick up food for me.

I'm hoping today will be a little less "interesting" and more restful. I hope everyone is having a good weekend, especially Anita in Madison. I'll start the new thread tomorrow.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 09:36 AM  
Vantreesta

Anita, I've been trying to learn everything I can about my feet. I actually went to the podiatrist only to make sure the lump on the side of my foot was tendonitis (it is). But he did x-rays and diagnosed "substantially elevated first metatarsals" and said that's what's causing the degeneration in my big toe joints (the left one was x-rayed and diagnosed with degeneration in 2009 and pain has not gotten any worse or more frequent in all these years). He also in two places on the report said hallux limitus and in two places said hallux rigidus. He jumped immediately to surgery and didn't even get my whole history, only knows I walk 3 times a day and run 2-3 miles 2-3 days a week. I was not impressed with him! My chiropractor looked at the X-rays and report but never gave me his impressions, which was the whole point in showing him. I have PT on Monday and will get her thoughts, even though she doesn't specialize in feet either. Then I guess I will make an appointment for a second opinion. I do not want to have surgery. I'm pretty much terrified of all aspects of surgery, can't afford to be laid up bc Cyric needs his walks and is a problem child who hubby hates to walk, and movement is a big part of maintaining my mental health. My pain is so mild and intermittent I'm afraid they'll do surgery and then things will actually hurt worse and more often. I actually had a goal of making it through life without ever having surgery! I guess technically having my wisdom teeth removed in college was surgery though. But I freaked out signing the paperwork for that and my mom had to talk me down and get me to go through with it. So yeah. The surgery would be to make everything line up correctly. He said without surgery it will continue to get worse until the joints either have to be fused or replaced, both of which he said are horrible options for someone with my activity level. He didn't give me surgery specifics but outlined the recovery time. I would have to be nonweightbearing for 3-4 weeks!! I am a big believer in PT and have been pretty successful in managing my hip and hamstring injuries sustained in 2009 without surgery.

I'm glad you're enjoying your time in Madison! I know what you mean about the sad freedom without a dog. Hubby never wanted dogs but I am a much better and happier person with a dog or two! After my first dog Jake died it was a couple years before I got D'Argo. I couldn't even bear to go for walks alone in that time so got a treadmill. It is definitely easier to go places but for me at this point in my life I will choose the inconvenience every time!

Laura, glad you made it home safely. Glad your hubby doesn't have COVID but that would still be scary to see blood! I hope the meds clear it up quickly. Hope you get a quiet relaxing day today. Sometimes coming home from vacation makes you want another one to recover!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 09:07 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 20 Balance and a neighborhood walk with DH.

This morning got everything together to renew our passports. Our new passport pictures look like mug shot - we both look like criminals. Met friends for lunch and some sewing, we had lots to talk about it seemed. Finished the quilt for my niece. All in all a nice Saturday.

Vantreestra, thanks for keeping me company. Guess the others were able to check it but I like hearing from you too. Not that I know anything about feet, but I'd get another opinion on surgery from another podiatrist. I've had surgery a few times and had a good outcome each time, but it's not something anyone should take lightly. Estimated recovery time is definately something you want to ask about. Your trip sounds like a lot of fun. I love the Denver area. I'm so used to living at sea level that when I hike at elevation I really feel it. Where do you live? Was it a long drive to Colorado?

Anita, thanks for taking the time to check in. Sounds as though you're enjoying yourself. If I saw people I went to school with now, I'd be lucky to remember five names. Part of the problem would be in my minds eye, everyone looks like they did in college. Lots of change has occurred since then.

Laura, what a hectic couple days you've had. I'm sure you're glad to be home. I'd be concerned if my husband was coughing up blood too! Glad he doesn't have COVID but bronchitis isn't any fun either. My DH once had bronchitis so badly it took forever for him to get over it. Glad today was a bit more relaxed, hope you get some good sleep tonight.