Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-22, 10:22 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Looking for Enablers (or not)-Sunny Row & Ride

I have had the Sunny Row N Ride in my cart and can’t decide if I should buy it.

I have the Sunny rowing machine, which I love, so I know they make good quality equipment. The Row N Ride seems to target the legs and glutes, with some upper body. I could use a new way to do squats and strengthen the legs, but I am not sure if this machine will be effective. I watched the videos and they make the product look like it’s effective.

Does anyone have this machine?

Thoughts?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 09:58 AM  
muddjeansgal

This looks like that machine that had the informercials back in the 90s. I always wanted one but can't remember the name now.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 10:04 AM  
Erica H.

I knew someone who had it and loved it but I don't have any experience with it.

Can you share which Sunny rowing machine you have? I have one of their spin bikes and am really impressed with it and would definitely buy another Sunny product.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 05:02 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

thoughts ...

If you already have the rowing machine, that should be targeting your legs, hips and back end. I think this would not be necessary. Rowing is more of a leg workout with some upper body thrown in.

I say save your money and get rowing!

Just my thoughts.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-22, 02:17 PM  
kat999

Just last week I got a Sunny rower and love it, so like you I know their stuff is good. This item, though, looks like the old Easy Glider of the '90s, and I had one of those for years. It slowly turned into something I hung my clothes on rather than used, and I say that as a very, very avid exerciser.

I've had a lot of gadgets over the years: rowers, stationary bikes, a cross-country ski machine, and lots of various steps and weights. The Easy Glider was my absolute, hands-down, least-used piece of equipment. It was heavy, awkward, unstoreable, and an eyesore in whatever space I put it in. When I finally got rid of it, I couldn't even give it away and wound up driving it to my parents' condo complex and wrestling it into their big trash bin. NO ONE wanted it.

Now, the Sunny product could be better than the original machine, and in fact I'm sure it is. The problem with these types of machines is that there is not that much arm engagement, and the leg engagement you get is honestly pretty minimal unless you turn the resistance way, way, WAY up. It doesn't really engage the glutes much, either, so you're almost exclusively working your various thigh muscles. If for some reason you want to do that, obviously this would be good for you, but it offers no real change in the arms, no potential for growth if you find the hardest resistance no longer challenging, and it's such an isolated muscle area. Unless you have a huge home gym with a lot of varied equipment and this is just adding to that, I would seriously pass.

Oh, and another reason I didn't like it: it's a very boring motion, but unlike how a stationary bike or rower can also be boring, you're being bored PLUS sort of bobbing up and down, so it's hard to multitask with it (e.g., watching TV is tough based on how you're moving). So I guess put it in front of a window and be prepared to listen to podcasts, music, or audiobooks for a half an hour? It's also a SLOW motion, so it's not even good cardio. This particular model only has three modes of resistance, so I'd be wary that even level 3 is not a challenge for someone with any quad strength/ability to do regular squats and plies.
Old 06-27-22, 03:14 PM  
carly

This youtube review might help you with your decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyBAUT0BBVY

I recently sat on this machine at a hotel gym. I only rowed for one minute to see how it felt. I did it with maximum resistance (all 3 bands). While it seemed a little challenging (I had not been working out in several months), I think I would have out grown it fairly quickly as far as squat work resistance.

Except for the deep squat position, muscle engagement is similar to your rowing machine which I think is a better piece of equipment. If someone didn't have room for a rowing machine they might want to consider this machine.

As the reviewer shows it can be a little tricky when getting off and on the machine.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-22, 08:33 PM  
gigi

How would you use this? It looks like it would be very limiting and you could get more from just working out. How long would you stay on it? It may be beneficial if you plan to hop on it a few times a day for a particular length of time but I would get bored quickly.
Old 06-29-22, 07:45 AM  
wlorrie

My mother has this. I tried it when I was visiting her. I didn't have any problems with how it felt, but I got bored after about 10 minutes. I feel like a rowing machine and squats are more effective and fun to do, but that's just me!
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 09:33 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Thanks, everyone, for your replies! I still haven’t made a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I knew someone who had it and loved it but I don't have any experience with it.

Can you share which Sunny rowing machine you have? I have one of their spin bikes and am really impressed with it and would definitely buy another Sunny product.

Erica
This is the Sunny rower I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleda View Post
If you already have the rowing machine, that should be targeting your legs, hips and back end. I think this would not be necessary. Rowing is more of a leg workout with some upper body thrown in.

I say save your money and get rowing!

Just my thoughts.
Cleda
Thanks, Cleda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
How would you use this? It looks like it would be very limiting and you could get more from just working out. How long would you stay on it? It may be beneficial if you plan to hop on it a few times a day for a particular length of time but I would get bored quickly.
This is a good question. I would probably use it for a short time, and try to reach fatigue in the legs.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-22, 02:22 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I had something similar in the 90s called a Health Rider. The motion was harder on my back more than any other body part. After it sat unused for a few years, I dragged it out to the curb and someone picked it up.

The only thing I used less was a Tony Little Gazelle Glider. I still have a scar on my shin from putting it together by myself. The bar scraped the skin right off when it fell as I tried to put the bolts in.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness equipment, row n ride, rower, rowing machine