Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-05, 10:29 PM  
woodie

Which is better? A Spinning Question

I am thinking about gettig a spinning bike - I know, the bike thread is elsewhere! :-) What I wanted to ask was who is the better instructor - Johnny G or Spinervals? Are there others that are good? Is Spinervals user-friendly? I've only taken spinning clases and have never seriously cycled outside- honestly, I don't have the balance! So I don't know what the heck a big ring is!

I like good music while working out - any genre, really, as long as its upbeat. My favorite instructor played R&B early 90s stuff - the stuff I listened to whe I was in college and going to the club around that time - so it was great. It didn't hurt that he was easy on the eyes... but that's another story! :-)

The other thing I like about spinning is standing up and pedaling with your torso "over the horn". Love that - do any of the instructors utilize that technique?

Thanks for the info!

:-)

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 12:24 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Hi woodie, you might get more replies to your questions if you put the word "spinning" in the title. We have a lot of spinning fans and experts here at VF!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 07:09 AM  
woodie

Good idea! Thanks Alta!

:-)

woodie

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 07:15 AM  
just push play

Hey Wood,
Never heard the term "over the horn" before so I hope someone elaborates. I take spinning in a club class setting and in there the instructors are always insisting that when standing you not lean too far forward over the bars. The idea is to get your butt back and just off the seat to really work the quads and butt muscles. When you lean too far forward the ride becomes much easier.
Anyone in here like all out standing sprints??!! Those are tough!!
just push play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 07:27 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Woodie, I've been taking spin classes for over 8 years and have never heard the term "over the horn". Please explain.

I spin at the gym so can't recommend any DVDs. I have seen a spinerval though, and if you're looking for a program with good music, I would suggest you steer clear of those. The music is very bland and is put on AFTER the program has been filmed. This means that there is no attempt to match the BPM of the music with your pedaling cadence. On later spinervals, there is -- thankfully -- a "music off option" which allows you to use your own music track.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 07:35 AM  
Kyra

I think if I got a spin bike, I'd just do my own routines to my own music. I'm used to spinning at the gym and really enjoy it when the instructor does a good job matching music with the ride - I mean, that is my idea of choreography - lol! I obviously haven't tried Johnny G or Spinervals, and don't know to what extent I would given the chance. I'd probably get Tough Love b/c it's supposed to be so darn tough; as for the rest, eh, probably just me and my own tunes. YMMV!!

As for the phrase over the horn - I'm only guessing that means over the front part of the saddle. On a western (horse) riding saddle, there's a horn at the front.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 09:03 AM  
MARIKA

Talking

I have tried both. If your relatively new I would go with Johnny G, they have better music if that's what your into. I luv the Spinervals, my new addiction. They are tough!! More of a serios training type workout.
MARIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 09:36 AM  
Kimberly33

I agree with the others that if music is important to you, you don't want Spinervals.

I have a Johnny G tape, but I haven't looked at it (the shame!), but the Cycle Reebock (Robert Sherman?) one is good, the Jay Blahnik is supposed to be good, and Mindy Mylrea's is fun. So you have a few non-Spinervals choices.

The Spinervals workouts are designed primarily for cyclists and triathletes who are training inside, so they're less focused on the music and more focused on particular performance goals. They're fun because they're hard, but the music is not particularly motivating, and they aren't choreographed to the music at all. AND, I'm in one, so I'm sure I'm biased.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 10:54 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I am using Cardio Coach CD's as my spinning workout and I LOVE them!!
I can still lhear the baseball game while I spin.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 02:58 PM  
gettingstrong

I am looking at the spin bikes too. I have spent WAY to much time searching this forum on my stupid dial up connection (dsl next week YAY!) for bike recommendations, etc. I wonder if we couldn't have an "everything spinning" section?
gettingstrong is offline   Reply With Quote