Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-05, 10:38 PM  
doskymom

Interesting "What's My Line"

Last night as I was channel surfing in the middle of the night, I found a "What's My Line" show from 1955 and one of the guests was a woman named Marlene something (her name did not sound familiar to me). The panel was supposed to guess her occupation and on the screen it said she had her own t.v. show "demonstrating reducing exercises". I just thought it was kind of interesting...
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 11:07 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by doskymom
Last night as I was channel surfing in the middle of the night, I found a "What's My Line" show from 1955 ...
My daughter was born in 1955. I remember watching that series, but not that particular show.

How the knitting going? Is it a scarf yet?

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 11:11 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by doskymom
Last night as I was channel surfing in the middle of the night, I found a "What's My Line" show from 1955 and one of the guests was a woman named Marlene something (her name did not sound familiar to me). The panel was supposed to guess her occupation and on the screen it said she had her own t.v. show "demonstrating reducing exercises". I just thought it was kind of interesting...
I can't imagine say, Callan Pinkney on "What's My Line." Not that I don't love Callan and don't think she has a nice sense of humor.

I wonder just when deliberate exercise in the U.S. became a reality...up until at least the turn of the century, I'm sure that people were working so hard that being fit was not even a real concept. But at some point, as technology advanced and foods became more calorie-dense (and thin-ness became a cult)...I wonder what the absolute very first at-home workout was?

--acey
acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-05, 11:11 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I once saw an old episode, and it had the man who invented the treadmill on there (Mr. Trotter), and at the end, they showed the first Trotter treadmill. It's hard to believe that there was a time when there were no treadmills .
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 12:33 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I love those old game shows on GSN. There's an episode of "To Tell The Truth" from the early sixties that features a woman weightlifter who wrote a book advocating weightlifting for women. And this was a good quarter-century before the Firm came along.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 06:47 AM  
Barb L
VF Supporter

You might see ME!

You late night surfers into Game shows, keep an eye out for a What's My Line? episode featuring MOI as the subject. That would be circa 1971. The mystery guest on the show is Art Carney, and if you watch through the credits, you can see me performing the "Soupy Shuffle" with Soupy Sales. Ah, the memories.

Back then, I was cultivating a long flip with the red hair--although you can't see the color because the show was in black and white. My navy dress featured a pattern of ladybugs that my husband remembers to this day. It's a kind of standard for new dresses I buy: "Oh, that one is almost as cute as the ladybug dress."
Old 03-12-05, 07:03 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Physical fitness, once called physical culture has been around longer than you might think. It grew up along with a growing middle class in the late 19th century. Here's just one article culled from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugen_Sandow
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 08:00 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

A search of TV Tome showed:

Game 4: Miss Marlene Gornall - "Demonstrates Reducing Exercises on Television" (salaried; brunette; John never mentioned the name of her program or the call letters of the station it airs on; from Pittsburgh, PA)

Edited to add:
Episode Number 259
First Aired May 15, 1955
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 08:03 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Barb -

I love that anecdote!!! And the fact that the ladybug dress has become the dress by which all others are judged.

Nat
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-05, 09:49 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

f
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote