Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-05, 12:53 PM  
KickDancer

Has anyone actually *done* Metaboost or Flexposture?

I know many have received this DVD by now (albeit not necessarily because they wanted it), but I can't seem to find any comments about the actual workouts. What do people think of them?
Old 03-16-05, 01:23 PM  
getstrong

I'm hoping for some too. YaYas has two reviews of metaboost in the review section, nothing yet for flexposture that I've seen.
getstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-05, 02:39 PM  
KickDancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by getstrong
I'm hoping for some too. YaYas has two reviews of metaboost in the review section, nothing yet for flexposture that I've seen.
Can you provide a link to these? TIA!
Old 03-16-05, 02:45 PM  
getstrong

http://p199.ezboard.com/ffirmbeliver...icID=291.topic

you have to be a ya ya member. Otherwise, I think Sassygirl visits here, you could bug her to post here. Jammin5 (Robin) did the other one. I'd copy, but that's probably not ok.
Old 03-16-05, 03:20 PM  
SassyGirl
VF Supporter

Hi

I did post a short review over at Ya-Ya's today. I did Metaboost this morning and LOVED it. I would classify it as a solid intermediate workout - the intensity was about the same as the old FitPrime FTGU or Crunch Time (in my opinion). A few times I had to wipe the sweat off with a towel, so I was definitely working! I loved everything about the workout...the flow and selection of exercises, the music (which as always with FitPrime was outstanding), the picture and sound were crystal clear - loved the colorful set - the background exercisers seemed relaxed and enjoyable to watch, and Heide was extremely poised, comfortable and professional in this video.

As I said in my review, I think Anna finally got it right with these workouts. They seem to have the best features of the old Firm and FitPrime combined into this new venture with none of the things that used to annoy me (like the original Firm's cheesy music, FitPrime's cheap production and ugly set, etc.) When I was working out, I was thinking to myself that there isn't ONE thing I don't like! And for a picky person like me, that is amazing!
Old 03-16-05, 03:27 PM  
getstrong

Thanks, SassyGirl!
Old 03-16-05, 03:31 PM  
SassyGirl
VF Supporter

You're welcome!
Old 03-16-05, 03:41 PM  
Randi
VF Supporter

I've done them both, here are my first impressions:

I agree with SassyGirl about Metaboost. I loved it as well, though I'm not sure it's quite as hard as the older Fitprimes. I was sweating a lot but my heartrate only got into my low aerobic range and frequently dipped below that. It was a humid Florida afternoon so that might explain the sweat! My HR might go higher when I know the choreography a little better or if I use wrist weights. Besides the fabulous production values, I felt that it was a "kinder" workout than most others; it seemed like the movements were a tad slower and that helped me use my muscles in a more controlled way and protect my joints. The only thing I didn't do were the curtsy dips. It's a keeper for me!

I did FlexPosture today and I'm more ambivalent about this one. Tamela Hastie leads this one and she seems VERY serious compared to Heidi. The cueing is pretty good, but there were times when she didn't mention something important and I had to look at the TV to figure out what she meant. There weren't as many form pointers as I expect from beginner Pilates and yoga workouts, but many of the moves were modified for beginners and the full version wasn't shown. I did it after an hour of tennis practice and it made me feel much less tight, but so do most yoga tapes. There was a lot of variety and the time went quickly.

A negative for me: there was a lot of equipment moving/changing - it uses a stool, mat, yoga block, bar, dumbbells. I do a fair amount of yoga and I found the yoga too modified, next time I'll just do the full pose that I know rather than the modification that Tamela shows, and I might like that better. There was a fair amount of shoulder stabilization work, though, which was nice.

The workout is quite different than other yoga, Pilates or fusion workouts - it has short cardio sections in a couple of places that don't seem very useful. I'm going to try it again next week, but my feeling is that if I were to do something like this as part of rotation I'd be better off doing Karen Voight's YogaSculpt or maybe a 30 minute Pilates workout and a 30 minute yoga practice.

My opinion may change after I do it again, right now I'm on the fence about whether this is worth keeping for me or not.
Old 03-16-05, 06:50 PM  
KickDancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi
I did FlexPosture today and I'm more ambivalent about this one. Tamela Hastie leads this one and she seems VERY serious compared to Heidi. The cueing is pretty good, but there were times when she didn't mention something important and I had to look at the TV to figure out what she meant. There weren't as many form pointers as I expect from beginner Pilates and yoga workouts, but many of the moves were modified for beginners and the full version wasn't shown. I did it after an hour of tennis practice and it made me feel much less tight, but so do most yoga tapes. There was a lot of variety and the time went quickly.

A negative for me: there was a lot of equipment moving/changing - it uses a stool, mat, yoga block, bar, dumbbells. I do a fair amount of yoga and I found the yoga too modified, next time I'll just do the full pose that I know rather than the modification that Tamela shows, and I might like that better. There was a fair amount of shoulder stabilization work, though, which was nice.

The workout is quite different than other yoga, Pilates or fusion workouts - it has short cardio sections in a couple of places that don't seem very useful. I'm going to try it again next week, but my feeling is that if I were to do something like this as part of rotation I'd be better off doing Karen Voight's YogaSculpt or maybe a 30 minute Pilates workout and a 30 minute yoga practice.

My opinion may change after I do it again, right now I'm on the fence about whether this is worth keeping for me or not.
Thanks so much for your thorough review(s)! Are you thinking that FlexPosture might be so unexceptional that you'd get rid of Metaboost as well?
Old 03-16-05, 07:05 PM  
Baballou

She said Metaboost was a keeper.

Quote:
DISCLOSURE: I DO NOT have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. However, I would be more than happy to have such a relationship, especially if it involves free videos!.
Baballou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tamela hastie, whfn