Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-06-05, 10:42 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniem
Nancy, I am pretty sure they are remakes of the Fitprimes, not Firms.
Of course that's what I meant. Just a typo. Thanks.

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-05, 11:06 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I'm confused!

I looked at the descriptions of the workouts on their website, and the ones that are supposedly recycled Fitprimes are led by different instructors. Strong Bear is led by Keli Roberts. Is this like the old Firm parts where one person narrated, but they pieced together parts of the original workouts?

Also, I read some of their frequently asked questions, and a lot of it sounds like total sales hype to me. The over 35 thing makes no sense to me; it seems like such a bad business decision (it seems like the workouts would benefit all ages.) Alta and SharonNYC, your comments cracked me up! I think Anna mentioned that she is including a cup to hold the dentures while you do the workouts .
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 12:00 AM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbe G
I looked at the descriptions of the workouts on their website, and the ones that are supposedly recycled Fitprimes are led by different instructors. Strong Bear is led by Keli Roberts. Is this like the old Firm parts where one person narrated, but they pieced together parts of the original workouts?
These were filmed recently on a new set with different instructors, but are remakes (or "updated" if you will) from the original FitPrimes that bare their name. It's really too bad that Anna's posts explaining all this have been deleted since the forum change. It was all explained there at the beginning of filming, but a lot of the forum discussions were lost in the transfer to the new forum.

Nancy
Old 01-07-05, 04:00 AM  
isa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videophile
These were filmed recently on a new set with different instructors, but are remakes (or "updated" if you will) from the original FitPrimes that bare their name. It's really too bad that Anna's posts explaining all this have been deleted since the forum change. It was all explained there at the beginning of filming, but a lot of the forum discussions were lost in the transfer to the new forum.

Nancy
These posts are not "lost", they´re still there !

About the "updated" workouts:
http://www.fitprime.com/forums/showt...138#post110138

About the "age appropiate workouts":
http://www.fitprime.com/forums/showt...298#post110298
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 08:54 AM  
RuthNYC
VF Supporter

Stopping the clock?

I look around me and it is clear that most women go through changes starting around the age of 35 (give or take a few years). While that doesn't mean we're ready for Depends or dentures , it does indicate that we'd be exercising smarter if we recognized that our bodies have different needs as we get towards our 40s and older.

For myself, I know that my joints are more problematic, my metabolism has changed, etc. I'm also more interested in developing my balance and coordination, maintaining flexibility and strength and so on.

I still do some high impact workouts but I'm glad there are people putting out exercise videos that incorporate pilates, yoga, cardio and strength in one workout.

Yes, this is an infomercial and will undoubtedly have the typical cheesy, pseudo-science BS that is featured in most infomercials.

Yes, this is a BBH production and is supposed to have the look of the "Classic" Firms. So if you thought the old Firms were Stepfordish and cheesy, WHFN ain't gonna change your mind

The pre-goodtimes Firms motivated me for years. Fitprimes were even better (aside from the poor production) and I feel certain I'm going to love the WHFN workouts--cheesy set, Stepford wives, pseudo-science and all.

Now where'd those dagblasted dentures go?

RuthNYC

Last edited by RuthNYC; 01-07-05 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typos
RuthNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 10:15 AM  
Christine L.
VF Supporter

Can't wait!

I think the workouts look fantastic. I'm really excited about the return to the "old school" set. I don't currently have any FitPrime workouts -- so thankfully I don't have to worry about rehashes.
Christine L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 10:20 AM  
Chris T.
VF Supporter

Very well said, Ruth!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthNYC

I look around me and it is clear that most women go through changes starting around the age of 35 (give or take a few years). While that doesn't mean we're ready for Depends or dentures , it does indicate that we'd be exercising smarter if we recognized that our bodies have different needs as we get towards our 40s and older.

For myself, I know that my joints are more problematic, my metabolism has changed, etc. I'm also more interested in developing my balance and coordination, maintaining flexibility and strength and so on.

I still do some high impact workouts but I'm glad there are people putting out exercise videos that incorporate pilates, yoga, cardio and strength in one workout.

Yes, this is an infomercial and will undoubtedly have the typical cheesy, pseudo-science BS that is featured in most infomercials.

Yes, this is a BBH production and is supposed to have the look of the "Classic" Firms. So if you thought the old Firms were Stepfordish and cheesy, WHFN ain't gonna change your mind

The pre-goodtimes Firms motivated me for years. Fitprimes were even better (aside from the poor production) and I feel certain I'm going to love the WHFN workouts--cheesy set, Stepford wives, pseudo-science and all.

Now where'd those dagblasted dentures go?

RuthNYC
I totally agree with you - The Firm is what got me started on working out. And while I love all of the other instructors I have found the past 10 years - Cathe, Christi, Kari, Janis, Gay, CIA, Mindy, etc., I know I will be buying all 12 of the new WHFN workouts.

I will be 35 later this year, and I definitely know my body is different than it was 10 years ago. I still love spinning and step and high impact, but it is nice to know that there are workouts that will incorporate other facets to keep my body limber and strong as I age!!

I think our society tries to force us to "fight" the prospect of aging. And while I think it is important to keep working out, to keep striving for new athletic goals, and we certainly don't need wheelchairs or walkers yet, I think it is important that we don't lose sight of the physiological changes that happen as we age - even if we still run marathons and triathalons in our 40's, 50's, 60's and beyond.

I just remember what the vidiot world was like 10 years ago - before the Internet, before a lot of these infomercials - we had VERY little choices back then. Even though I agree that the informercials of today can be annoying, I still keep coming back to the early 90's, when you didn't know when the next Firm workout would be made - these small independent shops like Janis or The Bar Method or BeachBody didn't exist, Cathe made 1 step workout per year and you tried to find workouts at retail, which were scarcer then than they are today - we didn't have the Internet for the wealth of choices we have today. You either went to the gym, or you worked out with the same 10 or 20 videos over and over and over. I love all of the choices we have now - we are so fortunate!!

I can't wait to see what other fabulous workouts we have at our fingertips in '05!

Chris
Chris T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 10:37 AM  
Messe

I think it's important to incorporate exercises into workouts that will help to counteract some of the ravages of time as early as possible and certainly from 35 on. One example: As Charlene Prickett points out in Strong at Any Age (which I love, by the way), before the days of spending a lot of time in front of computers, evidence of bad posture didn't start showing up in women until they were closer to her age (she's 58 now). Today, the computer hunch is noticeable in much younger people (her daughter Xanna commented on her own experience). I think incorporating yoga/yogish/Pilates/pilatish activity into a series of total-body workouts that will be mass-marketed is an excellent move on the part of WHFN. No, the workouts won't make anyone 25 again, but used regularly, they're likely help maintain/improve flexibility, posture, etc. That's not to say, of course, that Pilates and/or yoga alone wouldn't accomplish the same thing, but everyone (including me) may not be interested in devoting large amounts of their workout time to one or both disciplines.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 02:56 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by isa
These posts are not "lost", they´re still there !

About the "updated" workouts:
http://www.fitprime.com/forums/showt...138#post110138

About the "age appropiate workouts":
http://www.fitprime.com/forums/showt...298#post110298
Thank you so much. I couldn't find them. Perhaps this will clarify for everyone and keep the misinformation to a minimum.

Nancy
Old 01-11-05, 07:19 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by isa
Maybe because they won that lawsuit ?
Hi - I'm a new oldie to this forum - I used to post about 5 years ago under "thebunnie" so I doubt anyone will remember me. I'm catching up on my FIRM news and I'm kinda shocked at all I've learned in the last few hours. What lawsuit were you guys referring to in earlier posts?

It's HARD catching up after a 3 year sabbatical.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitprime, keli roberts