Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-21, 10:39 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Anne Helen Petersen on Peloton culture

Anne Helen Petersen writes about a wide range of pop culture phenomenon, and her newsletter this week was about how Peloton cultivates its image and customer experience:

https://annehelen.substack.com/p/tow...ory-of-peloton

I've never been much into spinning and don't have the cash or the space for a Peloton bike, but I do subscribe to The Body Project which I guess is kind of the anti-Peloton in that they are quite deliberately not slick, but you still get that feeling of community and quasi relationships with Alex, Daniel and the other exercisers that Anne Helen talks about in the article.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-21, 11:04 AM  
ellaenchanted

I don't own any Peloton equipment but I wouldn't rule it out either. Sometimes, ithinsg don't need to be so over-analyzed. Yes, marketing is everywhere and consumers should be aware and educated. But *all* the fitness apps and instructors have a cultivated image. What I hear from people who people who do the Peloton workouts is how fun they are or how much like/not like them and nothing about wanting to be like instructors or part of some movement. I hear that a lot more from Beachbody (because it is an MLM) and young Tone It Up app subscribers/exercisers. Leslie Sansone is very genuine, but her workouts and image were definitely planned and marketed carefully. It's teh hot new things so I can see how articles like this attract clicks, though.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peloton