Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-15, 05:36 AM  
horsemom2

Music and exercise

New article about the role music plaus during exercise:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...m_hp_ref=brain

I simply cannot exercise without music and even edit most workouts to be music only.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-15, 04:21 PM  
Cybersparkle

Me too Barb, me too!

Actually, I wish I could do workouts that don't have good music - I feel like I miss out on a lot of good methods, instructors etc.

I don't have time to redo music for workouts, wish I did tho. That would be the ideal way to go & I totally get why you make remixes. I am forever thankful for Ellen Barrett, Maya Fiennes, Bellyfit Elements & Ani & Ravi, they have enough material for me to really & truly enjoy their workouts only like a music lover can.

All I can chalk it up to is that I have always loved to dance. Not that I was always the best dancer, but maybe the one that loved it most.

I have often felt I must have been a dancer in another life. In my late teens & 20's people would often assume that I was a professional dancer & sometimes even said they thought they saw me on stage! Must have been a dancing double of me running around somewhere back then lol

I wonder, if maybe that's the case with you too.
Have you always loved dancing?

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-15, 04:50 PM  
cherimac

I honestly could care less about music. I like having it for the beat but I don't notice the song playing unless it annoys me.
Old 09-21-15, 05:34 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
Have you always loved dancing?
I enjoyed dancing but would not say I loved it.
However, I have always loved bouncing, even after having a friend's head hit my face and gave me quite a nose bleed when jumping on a bed together. LOL

Barb S
Old 09-21-15, 07:28 PM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I honestly could care less about music.
Lucky for you The exercise dvd industry is your oyster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I enjoyed dancing but would not say I loved it.
However, I have always loved bouncing, even after having a friend's head hit my face and gave me quite a nose bleed when jumping on a bed together. LOL

Barb S
lol Childhood memories!

Ahh, I see! So it's bouncing! So interesting, we humans are - what we do & why we do it ...

Come to think of it, I loved jumping on the bed too as a kid, and am not ashamed to say that I have done it within the last year or so

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-15, 10:53 PM  
Leonana

I used to love the music, but I have a moderate hearing loss, so feel lucky to hear the instructor! Sometimes I can hear the music faintly in the background.
Old 09-22-15, 07:22 AM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I used to love the music, but I have a moderate hearing loss, so feel lucky to hear the instructor! Sometimes I can hear the music faintly in the background.
I have hardly any hearing in my left ear.
When I get a song I am going to use, I use a mp3Gain program to make it louder. My workout area has my vcr and dvd player hooked up to an old surround sound system which makes the audio much louder than the tv alone. Also I use an old pc power speakers on my laptop. Now I have found if I put my mobile phone playing a playlist near my recording laptop, the recording can be pretty loud. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Barb S
Old 09-22-15, 07:43 AM  
prettyinpink

I like good music for cardio. Hearing something I like really does make me work harder, which is probably why if I could, I'd only walk/run outside with my iPod for cardio.

For strength work it can be a distraction as much as a help.

I guess I do care about music in DVDs or streaming a little bit. I care if it's annoying, too loud, or too soft. Or always the same, yet too soft--I'm talking to YOU, barre3!
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-15, 11:17 AM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I have hardly any hearing in my left ear.
When I get a song I am going to use, I use a mp3Gain program to make it louder. My workout area has my vcr and dvd player hooked up to an old surround sound system which makes the audio much louder than the tv alone. Also I use an old pc power speakers on my laptop. Now I have found if I put my mobile phone playing a playlist near my recording laptop, the recording can be pretty loud. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Barb S
I did think about that later, having something blast the music louder. Although, I don't have the equipment for it. However, I want to hear the instructor, as I don't follow the workout well otherwise.