Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-14, 05:06 PM  
stacybug

Ballet Beautiful or Callanetics ?

Are they similar? I'm not sure I can handle the old school feel of Callanetics though I've heard raves about it....so I'm looking for something similar with solid mat work to round out my newly acquired barre habit. Thanks in advance!
stacybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 08:12 PM  
lila_says

I think they're reasonably similar. You may want to check out Essentrics too.
lila_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 08:28 PM  
stacybug

Thanks! I will check those out too.
Old 04-30-14, 04:05 AM  
topfitmama

I've never tried callanetics, but I love Ballet Beautiful. My knees don't hurt, my hip doesn't hurt, my bum just may be shrinking and it's less wobbly.
Mary Helen makes no silly or rude remarks, the music is lovely, and even a 15 minute session feels like you did something.
I highly recommend it!
There are a couple free videos on Youtube and Amazon Prime users can stream some of her workouts for free.
I just wish she would put more of her material on DVD or offer the streaming workouts for download.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 07:48 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacybug View Post
Are they similar? I'm not sure I can handle the old school feel of Callanetics though I've heard raves about it....so I'm looking for something similar with solid mat work to round out my newly acquired barre habit. Thanks in advance!
The original Callanetics workout was filmed almost 30 years ago. The production values and attire are dated, and the DVD is not chaptered. However, it's a good routine. If it's available at Netflix or Kineticflix you might want to try before you buy.

Ballet Beautiful is quite lovely, I think, and tough in a softspoken way.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 09:11 AM  
cristinalatina

Just get both, you won't regret it
Old 05-01-14, 05:52 PM  
stacybug

Thanks ladies, I tried one of the 15 min BB blasts on amazon prime after a pop physique workout yesterday and could barely get through it! Haha. I think it's just what my butt needs to slim down a bit! Does she have any workouts that are more suited to beginner?
Old 05-01-14, 05:57 PM  
js70

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacybug View Post
Thanks ladies, I tried one of the 15 min BB blasts on amazon prime after a pop physique workout yesterday and could barely get through it! Haha. I think it's just what my butt needs to slim down a bit! Does she have any workouts that are more suited to beginner?
I just started BB total body workout today and it was hard! It did not look it at all. My bum and legs were screaming! It was a really good workout. I did try her newer cardio as well (not the Cardio Blast). I did not like that one as much as the one I was doing today. Her in between stretches were so quick.
js70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballet beautiful, callanetics