Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-13, 05:59 AM  
Cher

Thanks for popping in with your thoughts too Laura. Every bit of information and thoughts I can get help. Hmmm, I have birthday money so I'm thinking maybe I should get YW365 now since I haven't been real into yoga until lately and I could probably use the tips and techniques....then maybe if I do okay with that, maybe asking for UY for Christmas.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 06:13 AM  
Tugger31

Not to confuse you even more, but have you considered Travis Eliot's Yoga Foundations? It might be the best of both worlds, and alot less expensive. It comes with a reference booklet as well.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-...undations-6280
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 06:17 AM  
sherry7899

Tugger,

Cher said in her post that she already has Yoga Foundations
That is a great one for people to start with to see if they like Travis' instruction before spending money on UY.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 06:27 AM  
Cher

Yes Tugger, I do have Yoga Foundations already; but thanks so much for the suggestion. I agree it is a nice dvd to see if you like Travis.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 07:08 AM  
katmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
It's probably not fair to give the traditional VF answer, "buy both!", when they're as expensive as they are ... but I'm glad I have both.
I have actually been considering the "buy both" mantra. I am doing Yoga Foundations twice a week. Last night, I subscribed to udaya.com to catch some of the 5-10 minute tips (can't beat $9 a month as opposed to $5 for each tip video). They also have some other practices with Alyssa Ablan, Jules Mitchell, Rudy Mettia, Travis Eliot (looks like Yoga Foundations and Cross Training), and Vytas Baskauskas. This will also give me a chance to practice with other instructors. BTW, Udaya has another yoga set (12 practices on 8 DVD's) that will be released in December with Vytas Baskauskas that is described as an advanced set. I did some of the tips by Vytas Baskauskas and liked his teaching style.
Old 09-20-13, 07:36 AM  
hotncmom

DH is finishing up an UY rotation in the next couple of weeks (he's been at it more like 198 days than 108 days because the schedule doesn't always work out for him to do it every single day, but he has faithfully followed the order of the workouts, even if he has to skip a day or two. He had no yoga experience prior to this and he started with Yoga Foundations for the first couple of months.

The first time he did Crosstrain, Cardio, and Strength he was yelling "no way" at the TV a lot. He sweated profusely and he had to stop 20 minutes in on Cardio even though he has always been in good running shape (you know, the kind of guy who can be sedentary for a year and then walk out the door and run 3 miles, no problem). But these kicked his butt to the curb and humbled him. He did not give up. I think the difficulty made him more determined to succeed. And so he has. He has lost almost 40 lbs. He's very lean, lots of muscular definition. And we just got a doorway pull up bar and he was able to do several chin ups right off the bat, even though he had not been lifting weights or going to the gym or really, doing anything but UY. It works.

Don't be discouraged when you start if it's hard. Do what you can. Keep coming back to it and you will find that things get easier - not easy, but easier.

The point I'm trying to make is, don't let the fact that UY is "harder" discourage you.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 08:29 AM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
Yes Tugger, I do have Yoga Foundations already; but thanks so much for the suggestion. I agree it is a nice dvd to see if you like Travis.
I did this workout and I have to say, I like Travis and his voice. It is very calming.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 08:53 AM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
DH is finishing up an UY rotation in the next couple of weeks (he's been at it more like 198 days than 108 days because the schedule doesn't always work out for him to do it every single day, but he has faithfully followed the order of the workouts, even if he has to skip a day or two. He had no yoga experience prior to this and he started with Yoga Foundations for the first couple of months.

The first time he did Crosstrain, Cardio, and Strength he was yelling "no way" at the TV a lot. He sweated profusely and he had to stop 20 minutes in on Cardio even though he has always been in good running shape (you know, the kind of guy who can be sedentary for a year and then walk out the door and run 3 miles, no problem). But these kicked his butt to the curb and humbled him. He did not give up. I think the difficulty made him more determined to succeed. And so he has. He has lost almost 40 lbs. He's very lean, lots of muscular definition. And we just got a doorway pull up bar and he was able to do several chin ups right off the bat, even though he had not been lifting weights or going to the gym or really, doing anything but UY. It works.

Don't be discouraged when you start if it's hard. Do what you can. Keep coming back to it and you will find that things get easier - not easy, but easier.

The point I'm trying to make is, don't let the fact that UY is "harder" discourage you.
Wow, this is an amazing story hotncmom!
Old 09-20-13, 09:32 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post

Thanks for this post. I just started an UY rotation this week. I'm sure that it will take me longer than 108 days but I plan on completing it. This is a very inspiring testimonial......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 10:02 AM  
kitty12

Hi - I completed UY last year and since it has remained as my most used yoga DVDs. I loved the set. I am currently working on UY365 and I have a little different thoughts than some have expressed on this thread. There was another thread someplace on YW365 that you might wan to check. I think they CAN be similar in challenge, but are very different in style. Both are power yoga, but UY365 is slower in paced and allows you to focus more on individual poses. I agree with the point mentioned that he does give permission to make the practice easier if you need to, but I simply take it as his effort to make the practice approachable for all levels. He also gives permission at times to make the practice more challenging. If you are a beginner, I think this would be an excellent set.

From YW365 I have completed 9 of the main DVD classes and all of the bonus classes. I was less thrilled with the Gathering and Modified Warrior (both bonuses more geared toward beginners). But I have really liked the main classes and also Mountain Warrior (another bonus). I do add on elliptical and some of my own miscellaneous exercises on top of yoga. In just the short time of doing mostly yoga again, my arms are already looking better. I like how they look from yoga more than anything else.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudy mettia, travis eliot, ultimate yogi, yoga foundations, yoga warrior 365