Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-08, 04:15 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Question FitPrime - Old V. New (FitPrime/KickButt)

So...for those of you that are familiar with the FitPrime series (old and new), I am expanding my fitness collection and wanted to know if it is "worth it" for me to get the old FitPrimes and the new ones as well. I've read many reviews, some people say they like having both because the new series quality is SO good; others say they are too similar (if not the same) and old FitPrime is more intense. (I like more intense!!) I am a FIRMie who pines after classic FIRMs

So far I have Old Fitprime Strong Bear with Tracie, which I really like. Make any sense at all to get the new KickButt version?? I have all 6 of the new FitPrime series. I'd like to fill in the KickButt series but don't know if I should go for old or new...or both...!!

Any opinions would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
ebianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 05:22 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I hope I can help even though I don't have any of the newer FitPrimes. However, I have about 8 of the older FitPrimes and several of the newer WHFN Kickbutts. I LOVE the older FP workouts; I would say that most are high intermediate intensity, and I like how they alternate weight and cardio intervals (although the one you have, Strong Bear, doesn't really have much cardio). From what I've seen of the WHFNs, they are definitely less intense, especially with respect to the cardio. So far, I haven't had any desire to get any of the new Kickbutts, but if there are certain instructors that you really like and you don't mind modifying up on your own, it might be worth it to get these. Otherwise, I'd encourage you to track down more of the old FitPrimes--they're great!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 05:37 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Thanks Beth! I am a huge fan of Tracie, Susan, and Carissa Foster too so I will keep an eye out for the older ones. They are hard to find! I am not too stuck on any of the new KickButt instructors, except Heidi (and that is why I went ahead and got the new FitPrime FitPrimes). I like Tamela too but not as much as Susan. I am sure I am in the minority here, but based on FlexPosture I actually liked her better from her FIRM Cardio days than in these new FitPrimes.
Old 01-09-08, 06:35 PM  
annetteb

I like them both. At one time I had the differences between the two. But if you can afford to get old and new Fitprimes/Kickbutts get them both. Get a different workout each time.
Old 01-09-08, 06:47 PM  
Erica

If you're an intensity fan, I would definitely stick with the original FitPrimes. I was so disappointed when I tried my first KickButts (Push Pull and Steamin' Cardio) and realized that Anna & co. decided to decrease the intensity.

IMO, it's not worth it to own both versions because they're just too similar (in everything but intensity).

It would have been awesome to combine the intensity of the old FitPrimes with the beautiful WHFN set, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 12:03 AM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

I found once I tried the new Kickbutt workouts, that it was difficult to go back to the older ones. The difference in production quality in the newer ones is enormous - so much better - and it really enhanced my pleasure in the workouts. However, I was disappointed that they chose to take out some of the upper body work in Crunch Time because it left my upper body feeling very underworked.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 08:38 AM  
Baballou

I have a very strong opinion here. . .

Don't miss the opportunity to get a complete set of the WHFNs! The production quality is possibly never to be seen again! They *are* different from the old Fitprimes and not just as far as intensity. They are motivating and have zero dread factor. They are your friends! The opening stretch has been eliminated so after you start to get your heartrate up in the opening tune you can just blast off into the workout (then there is a slightly longer stretch at the end).

I disagree with the poster who stated that Strong Bear "doesn't have much cardio" because my heart stays right in the training zone for the entire workout. Maybe she means that there is little work without weights (not a plus in my book anyway)

I don't think that all the old Fitprimes are worth having (unless you are big on having complete sets), but I woldn't miss FTGU for all the tea in China, Strong Bear and Fast Cheetah are gems, and many love Steamin' Cardio very much.

Remember: When in doubt, buy a video!

Quote:
DISCLOSURE: I DO NOT have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. However, I would be more than happy to have such a relationship, especially if it involves free videos!.
Baballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 09:13 AM  
F1mom

Check eBay for old FitPrimes. A seller had the entire collection of old and new FitPrimes, and I think it went for $60, a relative bargain.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 09:31 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baballou
I disagree with the poster who stated that Kick Butt Strong Bear "doesn't have much cardio" because my heart stays right in the training zone for the entire workout. Maybe she means that there is little work without weights (not a plus in my book anyway)
If you'll check my earlier post, you'll see that I was referring to the original FP Strong Bear, which is the one original FP that the OP said she actually had (she doesn't yet have any of the Kickbutts, and as I said above, I haven't tried any of these either). Strong Bear (again, the original) has just a few quick cardio blasts, which is what I meant about not much cardio. I didn't say that it didn't have a cardio effect--in fact, I think all the (original) FitPrimes have a strong cardio effect, and in fact when I did Strong Bear yesterday (the original, again, just so no one is confused this time!), I was in my target heart rate zone for 40 minutes.

The WHFNs are definitely great workouts, but getting the entire set is NOT for everyone, including me. I enjoy the two I have (Upper Body Burn and Pump), but I definitely consider them lighter workouts than my original FitPrimes. Also, I tried a few other workouts in the WHFN series and didn't really like them, so I have no desire to acquire the entire set. Plus, none of my original FitPrimes (I have 8, I think) have any dread factor for me. Finally, I agree that people who value great production values may like the WHFNs, but personally, I find their production a bit overdone--I kind of prefer the one-on-one style of the original FPs, and I don't really mind an occasional editing glitch here and there.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 01:19 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Thank you all very much for your input. I am definitely going to search out the old FitPrimes first (thanks, I'll try eBay), and I would like to invest in the new KickButt set (or just one or two maybe) if I find good deals on them.

Thanks again!

Tags
fitprime, strong bear