Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-21, 08:57 AM  
Leonana

I realize I’m finding articles instead of studies, so can’t vouch for the accuracy. But I found this interesting.

Quote:
1. Hormonal Causes of Weight Gain:
Hormonal changes during menopause are partly responsible for weight gain during this period. However, research studies have shown that hormonal fluctuations may cause weight gain around the abdomen only. Weight gain in other parts of the body is related to other factors.
https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com...ight-gain.html

Another article stated weight is lost around the hips and gained in the stomach. Maybe that’s why they say overall weight gain is not menopause. However, having more weight around your middle will make you look heavier plus cause more health problems, so I think they are being deceptive on that one.
Old 08-15-21, 11:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

The whole "metabolism" thing seems very retro to me. It was a big buzzword to sell diet books way back when.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 02:34 PM  
Calistro

Is this the same thing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...finds-n1276650

I read this the other day and realised that I can't blame weight gain on my "slow" metabolism anymore, but I can blame it on Menopause

Really though, I think I just eat too much, especially since lockdown I have gained a stone

You all have to excuse me but I am really confused by all this metabolism stuff.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 03:24 PM  
Hsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
Here is the quote in context, though keep in mind this particular article appears in what seems to be a less academically/scientifically rigorous publication aimed at a more general audience*. I wish my library had online access to the more recent (August) Science magazine article:

"In one of the longer trials, men and women in the US burned 2000 calories per week during supervised exercise sessions for 16 months. After nine months, the men had lost around 5 kilograms, after which their weight plateaued. Women in the study lost no weight over the entire 16 months. Neither men nor women lost what we would have expected based on their exercise workload, despite the fact that their daily energy expenditures had edged up slightly.

"The reason for this is frustratingly simple: when you burn more calories, you eat more calories. You might not mean to, of course, but that is the problem. The complex systems working subconsciously to regulate your hunger and satiety do an exceptional job of matching energy intake to expenditure. What else would we expect from half a billion years of evolutionary tuning, where losing weight was generally a sign of impending doom? As a result, the amount of weight you can expect to lose from exercise alone over the course of a year is a paltry 2 kilograms or less."

*Edited to add: the New Scientist appears to be a non-peer reviewed periodical vs. a peer-reviewed academic journal.
I do not take this to mean that you are doomed to failure. You have to be careful of what you eat and make sure that you are not adding calories. You can do this by counting calories and also making sure the foods you eat are fiber and protein rich. That will help you feel more full.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 05:20 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I do not take this to mean that you are doomed to failure. You have to be careful of what you eat and make sure that you are not adding calories. You can do this by counting calories and also making sure the foods you eat are fiber and protein rich. That will help you feel more full.
I also didn't take it to mean one is doomed to failure. Sorry if I came across that way in the way I presented the article. I use myfitnesspal* (MFP) to track what I eat and find it very helpful. However, I'm 39 and watching portion size/intake (either via MFP or just generally) has always worked for me to either maintain or lose weight. That said, I'm not always successful and too often I eat more than my body actually needs. So it's still a struggle for me at times. I definitely don't mean to make it sound like it's an easy "recipe" for me to follow.

I recognize though that not everyone has this experience, so I can only speak to my own.

*I think the first time I began using MFP, I got too focused on the daily goal or something and it really stressed me out and put me in a "depriving/deprivation" mindset if that makes any sense, so I eventually stopped logging. After a break, I came back to it and ever since then I log everything more like an objective observer. It's hard to explain but I approach it with a different, more neutral mindset now.

Anyways, hopefully I haven't broken any forum diet rules but there was an intermittent fasting thread recently so I don't feel too out of bounds speaking generally about watching how much I eat.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 01:28 PM  
Hsim

So I really have to ask.....

Why can't we talk about diet? I would love to open up the forum and talk diet? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-16-21, 03:05 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
So I really have to ask.....

Why can't we talk about diet? I would love to open up the forum and talk diet? Inquiring minds want to know.
It tends to go south really fast and almost anything diet-related seems to become quite a divisive topic (I've even seen it happen on non-fitness forums when diet and nutrition topics come up). Personally, I'm glad that most (but not all*) diet talk is not allowed on VF. I believe there many other places on the internet one can go to talk about diet and nutrition stuff.

To quote from...
http://www.videofitness.com/dietfreezone.php

*OK - Examples of topics or comments that are general enough to stay within the guidelines:
  • asking for suggestions for healthy lunches to take to work, or healthy snacks to have around. This would be most appropriate in the Recipes Forum.
  • discussions of food as fuel for workouts: for example, whether to eat anything before morning exercise, favorite "recovery" foods after grueling workouts, what do eat before/during/after a long race, etc.
  • asking for advice on how to stop snacking in the evenings
  • recommending to someone who is having trouble with weight loss that she keep a food journal
  • requesting recipes or substitutions for favorite unhealthy foods or dishes
  • Posting a single recipe in the Recipes forum with nutritional information (calories, # fat grams, etc.) included

Not OK - Examples of topics that would not be allowed:
  • Asking for or offering specific nutritional advice
  • Discussing experiences with a particular diet or diet program (e.g. Weight Watchers, Atkins, the Zone, Jenny Craig, whatever)
  • Discussing specific dietary advice given in a diet or fitness book. You may review such books for our book review section, however.
  • asking for or giving advice about what percentage of calories should come from fat/protein/carbs
  • Describing your own eating plan in detail
  • Discussing whether or not a specific food or beverage is healthy or not
  • Asking whether or not you should become a vegetarian (this particular topic has been the subject of innumerable flame wars on the Web)
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-21, 03:42 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Even the professionals can't agree on things. I have a friend who is a dietician, and she went to a conference. This was a few years back. They had a huge fight over the usefulness of the glycemic index.

Also, it's such an individual issue. I imagine Olympic athletes in the same sport don't always follow the same diet.

I always say you have to experiment, just as you do to find the right workout to suit your goals.
Old 08-16-21, 09:00 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post

*I think the first time I began using MFP, I got too focused on the daily goal or something and it really stressed me out and put me in a "depriving/deprivation" mindset if that makes any sense, so I eventually stopped logging. After a break, I came back to it and ever since then I log everything more like an objective observer. It's hard to explain but I approach it with a different, more neutral mindset now.
This was especially true for me, except insert SparkPeople with MFP. I don't blame SparkPeople at all, and it was for the most part a motivating, wonderful place for me. I completely blame my mindset at the time. I have been very worried to ever track food again, at least to the degree that I was tracking. I still monitor my sodium, sugar, fat, etc. intake.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-21, 12:17 PM  
Hsim

Thank you ADawn. In light of that, the restriction does make sense.

Tags
aging, article, article link, metabolic rate, metabolism