Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-03-21, 10:27 PM  
Genevieve M

so is the T-Tapp empire kaput?

Hi,

I have subscribed to T-Tapp instructor Renee McLaughlin's newsletter. Reading her most recent one made me curious to know what's going on with T-Tapp, now that Theresa has passed.

Looked up the website www.t-tapp.com looks like a strictly medically-oriented site; there is nothing about the T-Tapp Method or products. Wonder if her company gave up the domain name and it was taken by someone else?

It sounds like there may not have been a succession plan in place for her company. Does anyone know what's going on with her intellectual property?

Thanks.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 06:32 AM  
Donna D

I found this on Facebook -

April 16, 2020

To the T-Tapp community,

Thank you all for your patience as we continue to navigate through this process. Your questions and concerns have been received and are being looked into. We appreciate each of your engagements and feedback. However, due to the overwhelming volume of emails and messages, the goal will be to try and address all categorical concerns in the aggregate at once when we can.

As mentioned in the April 10, 2020, Facebook post, Ms. Tapp did not leave a will and was not legally married. Ms. Tapp’s estate is being probated in Pinellas County and the judge there makes all ultimate decisions regarding Ms. Tapp’s estate which includes T-Tapp, Inc.

On April 14, 2020, the court executed Letters of Administration appointing Mrs. Tammie N Taeger-Turco as the personal representative of Ms. Tapp's Estate.

Mrs. Turco is aware that there were leaders and trainers who stepped up into a managerial/operational role within the company shortly after Ms. Tapp’s passing and that does not go unnoticed. It was those individuals who held and operated this business and who knew the company best until April 14, 2020. Until April 14, 2020, there was no legal order indicating who had the legal authority to make the decisions on behalf of Ms. Tapp and her estate including T-Tapp, Inc.; hence, the company being in limbo for the last year or so.
Mrs. Turco’s goal and responsibility as the personal representative is to find answers as quickly as possible to probate Ms. Tapp’s estate including T-Tapp, Inc. The goal is to preserve and continue as much of Ms. Tapp’s legacy as possible which includes the people who make the company what it is.
As part of that goal, Ms. Turco requested that the court appoint an independent third party law firm to analyze, review, and ultimately decide what would be best for the company. That court-appointed law firm is actively conducting research into the company's matters including the day-to-day operations and many of the questions and concerns you all have raised.
We will continue to update you all on the future of this company as certain things make it through probate including the concerns regarding T-Tapp, Inc. We are hopeful to have answers for you all as soon as practical.

Thank you all for your continued engagement and patience.

Joel A. Montilla, Esq.
Attorney for Tammie N Taeger-Turco
On behalf of Tammie N Taeger-Turco, Personal Representative
Donna D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 07:39 AM  
amoodygirl

It boggles my mind when some dies without a will, especially someone who had a thriving business and obvious assets!

I have animals and, for that reason alone, we made out our wills so that we would know that our animals would be cared for in the event of both our deaths.

These legal issues, even with a will, take a lot of time. I hope it gets settled soon.

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 07:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Seriously - we all need wills. The whole package - will, living will, power of attorney, health care directive. There are forms online.

When COVID first hit I updated our wills and health care directives because of changes in our family dynamics - that's another important thing to be aware of.

I had our original wills done at the attorney's office where I used to work for free. Last year I did it myself using Mama Bear Legal Forms online, then had them witnessed and notarized. It's worth the few bucks to have that peace of mind.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 07:55 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Seriously - we all need wills. The whole package - will, living will, power of attorney, health care directive. There are forms online.

When COVID first hit I updated our wills and health care directives because of changes in our family dynamics - that's another important thing to be aware of.

I had our original wills done at the attorney's office where I used to work for free. Last year I did it myself using Mama Bear Legal Forms online, then had them witnessed and notarized. It's worth the few bucks to have that peace of mind.
Absolutely, Pat!!! We have all of those things!

We're going to redo ours because our executor has requested to be removed. Although he is an attorney and close friend, he was involved in a bad accident, with head injuries, and doesn't feel he would be able to handle this. Life changes at a moment's notice!

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 10:24 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Ms. Tapp did not leave a will ...
I am really, really surprised to hear this. Teresa seemed all about empowering women, yet didn't take care of things for herself.

I found a Renee McLaughlin page promoting T-Tapp. I'm not putting the link. The links you click on her page mostly go to Error pages or sites that have Security Warnings.

Hmmmmm....

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 01:35 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

in Teresa's estate situation, her estate will erode by all of the legal fees.

DH and i created our estate plan when our kids were born, mostly to choose guardians. we were in our 30s back then.

the guardian part was harder than doing the rest of the plan because we had to decide on someone! we only had our home and a few bank accounts. you don't need to be John D. Rockefeller to benefit from an estate plan. as others mentioned, powers of attorney (both financial and medical), trust, and will are the main documents. it would also protect you if you are incapacitated - alive but unable to make decisions.

We were also prompted by the legal issues both of his parents were facing from their respective siblings' land ownership disputes. i didn't want to end up like them. doing the estate plan upfront is cheaper, legal fee-wise, vs. fighting in court after one dies intestate.

we got 3 estate plans done with my former law professor - he even gave us a discount. my parents, in-laws, and our estate plans were completed over a two month period.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 02:13 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

It is a complete shame and tragedy what happened to T-Tapp. If not for some of the trainers carrying on Teresa's legacy, it would be totally gone. Renee McLaughlin and Margaret Barry (Berry?) are two of the most active, but there are some others, too. I know Margaret is making a lot of downloadable/streaming videos, and she's awesome! But people who bought downloads directly from T-Tapp before Teresa passed away can no longer access them. And, of course, none of the original videos are being sold anymore. It's so sad that all of this work is on the verge of being completely lost.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 02:54 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
in Teresa's estate situation, her estate will erode by all of the legal fees.

DH and i created our estate plan when our kids were born, mostly to choose guardians. we were in our 30s back then.

the guardian part was harder than doing the rest of the plan because we had to decide on someone! we only had our home and a few bank accounts. you don't need to be John D. Rockefeller to benefit from an estate plan. as others mentioned, powers of attorney (both financial and medical), trust, and will are the main documents. it would also protect you if you are incapacitated - alive but unable to make decisions.

We were also prompted by the legal issues both of his parents were facing from their respective siblings' land ownership disputes. i didn't want to end up like them. doing the estate plan upfront is cheaper, legal fee-wise, vs. fighting in court after one dies intestate.

we got 3 estate plans done with my former law professor - he even gave us a discount. my parents, in-laws, and our estate plans were completed over a two month period.
I agree that an estate plan is the way to go in many cases. My mom's not exactly in the top 1% and she has one. She also got one done for my grandma (her mom). Not only does it greatly minimize or eliminate the possibility of anything going into probate, it also makes it easier on the loved ones left behind and the executor. It was just a one time attorney fee and relatively inexpensive. If you have a CFP, they can often refer you to an estate planning attorney.

One note though: After about 8 years mom changed her mind about a couple things that changed how the trust would be structured and she had to go in again and ended up having to pay the full fee again (which was now higher). My mom is cheap about some things so even though it's technically a revocable trust, she said she is never changing it again
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-21, 03:16 PM  
Gams

When Prince died, it was reported he had no will and I think there was (and maybe still is a lot of squabbling over his estate). They also reported Aretha Franklin died without a will although I think several handwritten (and probably bogus) wills have turned up since.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
t tapp, t-tapp, theresa tapp