Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-13, 06:00 AM  
Cher

Yoga Warrior 365 or Ultimate Yogi

Just wondering if anyone can help me decide which one of these yoga sets would be better for me to start with. I'm fairly new to yoga. I have tried yoga in the past and thought I can take it or leave it. I bought Blissology when it came out and tried to do a rotation of just Blissology and quit after a week. Back in July, the town I live in started having a Yoga in the Park class so I tried it and found I really enjoyed it. So I started pulling out some of my yoga workouts I have acquired over the years. I decided to see if I could stick with a rotation of yoga every other day with 1 weight day and some cardio thrown in on the other days. So far so good. It's been 2 weeks and it's still working for me. I've been doing Blissology, Eoin's PYFH, Travis' Foundations and his Cross Training.

I tend to not be a big fan of the whole vinyassa thing....while a few are okay, I do enjoy doing the yoga poses more but do like it to flow.

My goals would be to keep my strength that I have (or gain some if possible) and to lose about 15 lbs....if possible.

That being said, I probably would be considered fairly a beginner at yoga. I'd like to get some thoughts and opinions from those of you that have tried these as to which program would be better for me to start with.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 06:49 AM  
katmom

Cheryl, I posted a similar thread yesterday. You might look at the response I received.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=196436
Old 09-19-13, 06:52 AM  
Cher

Thanks for the link, I must've missed your thread yesterday.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 08:41 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Some posters have referred to YW365 as a prequel to UY. So, you may want to start with it. However, I am fairly new to yoga and did a lot of research. Most posters are saying that UY is still the better program with superior production and flow. I decided to go with it. I'm sure that I will have to work up to the program but I am up for the challenge. Plus, I want something that I'll want to continue to use for years.

That being said, I may still purchase YW365 at a later date......

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 08:59 AM  
Vee

UY is pretty accessible. You don't need ultra flexibility and there are no advanced inversions or arm balances. I thought it was advanced more in terms of strength and endurance. So someone new to yoga could do it, if they have familiarity with common yoga poses or alternatively, have good observation and proprioception to align the body.

I am still waiting for YW365. From the clips at least, I don't expect to find it "easy".

If by vinyasa you mean the sun salutation movement, while some discs have many of them, I thought there was enough variety in UY that it did not feel like an overdose of chaturanga-up-dog-down-dog.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 09:51 AM  
cherimac

Hi Cher! My friend, Laura, was just telling me that I would like YW365 because it wanted something less intense than UY. I tried UY and didn't like it. It was a bit advanced for me and Travis' voice drove me nuts. I will see if Laura will stop by and give you her thoughts. She does a LOT of yoga and can give way more insight than I can.

Tags
rudy mettia, travis eliot, ultimate yogi, yoga foundations, yoga warrior 365