Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-24, 05:56 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

21 Mar
AM
40’ - Barlates Fit Ball: Inner and Outer Thighs
PM
20’ - Yoga Journal Complete Beginner’s Guide: Calming

I gave my foot some rest today with a stability ball mat workout. I remembered to do a Lee Holden 30 Day Challenge session first. My foot is still a little sore, but so far it's the type of thing I'd expect during recovery.

Beth - Sorry about the assisted living woes (((hugs))).

I like the bean bag wheel pose - like the stability ball, but easier. If I ever get into restorative yoga or yin with props, I’ll be asking about bolsters and blankets and other such things.

I found a webcam for a peregrine falcon pair nesting on a high rise in downtown Baltimore. They're taking care of 5 eggs! The cam doesn't have night vision, but you can scroll back through several hours of video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDzgu0ihW8g

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-24, 08:18 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks for the hugs. I do think my dad will adjust because he's always been a people person, and even now, he is better with people around. But we're probably in for a bit of a bumpy road, at least at first.

I used the energy of my various frustrations today (I was also having both laptop and phone issues) by doing a kettlebell workout tonight. I've been enjoying some of the routines on the Ryan Raw channel that were posted during lockdown; here's the one I did tonight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BySK56t5md4&t=2s

And I also did a nice Yoga for Tim routine that I've done before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_b0ijmZDyY

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-24, 07:05 AM  
cyana

TGIF!!!

Hope everyone has a great day. My black car has a yellow hue from pollen, so I'd say spring is definitely here.

Beth
- Since your dad is a people person, hopefully he'll make some new friends and get into a comfortable routine at the assisted living facility. ((Hugs)) - to you and your sisters. And your dad!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-24, 10:14 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Pat, yes - you might have missed my prior posts about that. He's unable to live independently, and living with my sister is not a long-term solution given the care he requires (e.g., can't be alone more than a few hours). But he is in denial about what he needs, which is part of his dementia. So it's a challenge.
Oh dear, that's all so distressing for you and your sister. Dementia is evil, I'm sorry you are experiencing dealing with it. Sending hugs and best wishes for getting your Dad situated in a safe environment.

Nothing to report here. It was too cold to walk at lunch, then my day ended with such overwhelming fatigue I let myself just rest, caught up on an episode of Call the Midwife and made a pot of soup. Maybe it’s the time of year? I never was a fan of March. It’s freezing today, we seem to be having our third winter.

Happy Friday to all!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-24, 10:45 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana and Pat, thank you. We are trying to balance our needs with those of our dad. And yes, my sister is very glad I'm going to be there with her to help next week.

Some first week of spring this is! We are supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow overnight, although it might not amount to that. It did flurry most of yesterday and now again today.

Although I hit 80 days of yoga on Wednesday, it was kind of with a whimper, so now I'm still going. I've I go through next Thursday (the day before I travel), that will bring me to 88, so maybe that will be a good number to end on.

TGIF!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-22-24, 10:46 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I wasn't able to post for the last 3 days because of the 500 Error. I hope this post goes through...

This morning I did:
Flow and Yin: A Balanced Yoga Practice with Donna Helm-Yost (first 40 minutes of Yin Yoga practice)

Beth, I'm sorry that your Dad is upset about the move to assisted living. I hope that once he moves there, he will end up liking it.

Cyana, I have enjoyed videos from the Wings of Pegasus channel.

Sandra, I'm so glad that you are doing well in your recovery.

Pat, thank you for the Osprey and Hammonasset cams!
You reminded me that I need to find my Body Electric Workout.

I'm waving to everyone!

EDIT to add: Yay, my post went through!
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-24, 02:46 PM  
JustSandra

Hello!

For the last few days my "workouts" have consisted of three rounds of my PT exercises done throughout the day (each round takes about 45 minutes, which includes a long stretch using ice). That does take up a chunk of time! The last few days I've added in a couple of tiny outside walks, and it feels so good to get out. Just wish the rains weren't returning tonight. Will probably start doing time on the pedaler instead. And today I did the seated upper body workout with Lauren of Senior Shape. That felt wonderful, and I especially appreciated the thorough upper body stretch Lauren included at the end. This is my anticipated exercise pattern until my outpatient PT appointment on Thursday.

The knee continues slow but steady progress. There's a little less swelling and bruising, but the area around the knee still feels numb and tender. The actual incision looks okay, at least.

Just got a call from my regular Kaiser doctor's office, and now have a phone appointment next week to discuss my blood pressure. For most of my adult life my BP has always been low, but my last several readings have been high. I personally put it down to my not being able to do my regular long walks.

Beth: I'm sorry your dad is digging in his heels a bit with the move to assisted living. Probably to be expected, though. I agree with the others who believe he will be fine once he adapts. Good luck to you and your family.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 05:47 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Yesterdays activities:
~ETV: Ellyn’s Strength & Range of Motion
~Kassandra’s No Hands Morning Yoga - very nice, half on the mat & half standing
~Village & beach walk
~Ocean swim

Sandra - I’m so glad your recovery continues to go well!

We are off to the fish market this morning, getting an early start & looking forward to fresh fish for dinner.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-24, 01:06 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Thanks, Paine and Sandra. Yes, we are all still hopeful that my Dad will enjoy it eventually - I talked to a close friend of his on Thursday who said the same thing.

I taught a yin yoga/massage ball class today, which is always fun. Going to do a little yoga on my own soon.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 03-24-24, 09:24 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end. Brrr - it's chilly this morning, but at least the sun is shining.

I will be candid and say my week was a bit lacking - especially in the weight/resistance training department. I'm still struggling a bit with the time change. I'm one of those people who normally falls asleep easily, but have found it is taking up to an hour for me to fall asleep and I'm waking up several times during the night. Hoping one of these days we can be relieved of these time changes. I've been spending extra time on balance and Navasana this week. Standing heel to toe with the added challenge of arm movements has been fun and sometimes totally goofy-looking. I'm happy that my Navasana form has bounced back.

Mon:
MSTF. Focus: shoulders. Navasana x 60 sec hold. Heel to standing balance - 60 seconds each side w/arm movements. MELT - hands and feet. Down dog to plank x 10 reps w/10 second holds at top and bottom. Child's post to modified up dog x 10 reps w/5 sec holds at top and bottom. Wall sit x 1 minute. Heel to toe rocks x 30. Figure 4 prep. PM - Heel-toe rocks x 50 reps. Heel to toe standing balance - 60 sec with arm movements. Cubii x 30 minutes. Ankle-foot mobility.

Tue:
MSTF. Focus: neck, shoulders, spine. Bridge x 20 reps w/10 second hold at top. Navasana w/60 sec. hold. Figure 4 prep. MFML - Start the Day - Alexnader Filmer-Lorch. Cubii x 45 minutes. Heel to toe rock x 50. Heel-to-toe standing balance x 60 sec each side.

Wed:
MSTF. Focus: neck. Bridge x 20 w/10 sec holds at top of move. Navasana x 60 sec hold. Figure 4 prep. MFML - Start the Day - Alexander Filmer-Lorch. MFML - Enliven Your Body - Gabriella Espinosa. Down dog to plank x 10 reps - 10 sec. holds at top and bottom. Child's post to modified up dog x 10 w/10 sec holds at 10- and bottom. Cubii x 30 minutes.

Thu:
MSTF. Focus: neck. Navasana x 60 sec hold. Figure 4 prep. Heel-toe rocks x 50. Heel-toe balance x 60 sec each side. Ankle-foot mobility. Did heel-toe rocks while I was on a conference call and was on camera - Stealth fitness.

Fri:
MSTF. Focus: neck and shoulders. Navasana x 60 sec hold. Bridge x 20 w/10 sec hold @ top of move. Figure 4 prep. Cubii x 30 min. Heel-toe rock x 50.

Sat:
MSTF. Focus: shoulders. Navasana x 60 seconds. Bridge w/60 sec hold. Heel to toe standing balance x 60 sec each side with arm movements. Heel to toe rocks x 50. Figure 4 prep. Cubii x 75 minutes.

Sun:
MSTF. Focus: neck and shoulders. Navasana x 60 sec hold. Bridge x 60 sec. hold. Figure 4 prep. Heel to toe standing balance x 60 sec each side w/arm movements. Wall squat x 2 min hold.

I had an amusing critter wake up call this morning. I was already awake, but still snuggled in the warm bed when I heard something from outside that sounded like someone was yelling. After a few repetitions, I realized it was an owl with a very long "whooooooooooooo". LOL!!

Sandra - I came across a recent AARP article that discusses how static poses (such as wall squats/sits, bridge, etc.) can reduce BP. I just sent that to a much younger co-worker last week, as she was started on medication, despite being otherwise fit and healthy. I'll see if I can find it again and post the link. Also - do you ever take your BP at home? I'd strongly recommend that you check your BP twice a day and keep a record. You should also be able to find articles that describe how the BP should be correctly taken, and I can say that in my personal experience, pretty much 100% of physician offices do it incorrectly.

Beth - I enjoyed the bean bag yoga prop video - and also the fact that she laughed at herself as the "dismount" from those types of props can be less than graceful.

Waves to ALL. I need to grab some breakfast/brunch and then I'm going to rearrange some of my kitchen cabinets - some functional fitness in my day.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote