Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-17, 06:13 PM  
Fayk40

Off Topic: water filters

I've been reading more and more that you should filter your tap water. I've been researching water filter systems and feeling overwhelmed with all the chooses. Was wondering if you do what kind you use and if you like it?
Fayk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 08:51 PM  
Diana3271

I would like to have a whole house water filtration system, but I don't. Currently we are using Pur for our kitchen faucet at home and the Pur pitchers at work. We can taste a difference between using it vs. not. I don't think it removes all the bad stuff, necessarily, but for us we prefer using it.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 04:16 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Currently we are using Pur for our kitchen faucet at home and the Pur pitchers at work. We can taste a difference between using it vs. not. I don't think it removes all the bad stuff, necessarily, but for us we prefer using it.
^2.

there's a video on youtube where someone cracked open a used PUR filter. it was pretty nasty looking.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 02:22 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I grew up in northern AZ and didn't have one then. It was fresh mountain water and fine to drink, IMO. Here in the metro Phoenix area, our water is super chlorinated, so much that my kids often say it smells like the swimming pool when they take a shower.

We've always used a reverse osmosis system. Might be overkill for some since it filters out pretty much everything. The water tastes significantly different with it. If your water doesn't taste bad, something like the Pur or Brita might be sufficient.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 05:10 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I was thinking about water a while back because I live in an area with really disgusting well-water which is tested yearly and safe, but still gross.

Taste is not necessarily an indicator of quality. Most of the really bad stuff in water is tasteless, and sewer water smell, while very unpleasant, is actually not harmful. And then there is cholorination: necessary to kill harmful bacteria, but can result in small amounts of organic compounds that are harmful. Most of these harmful elements are not removed by a basic Brita filter.

If you are really worried about bad stuff in water you should get a reverse osmosis system put in place. Installing one can be expensive, but I think if you can afford it, it's worth it. I can't afford it...plus I rent, so I was thinking about getting 3-gallong jugs to fill at the grocery store, but haven't done it. Right now, I'm just drinking our gross smelling, but tested safe water.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 05:18 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
I can't afford it...plus I rent, so I was thinking about getting 3-gallong jugs to fill at the grocery store, but haven't done it. Right now, I'm just drinking our gross smelling, but tested safe water.
When our r/o system wasn't working (before DH replaced the tank), I was filling up gallons at the grocery store in those big dispensers. My son complained that the water tasted bad! I guess we're all really used to the r/o water.

I don't think it's super expensive though. I think the system was around $200? And we got a handyman to install it, so that was relatively cheap. I drink SO much water, it was definitely worth it. We also have the r/o hooked up to the fridge so we get cold filtered water too.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 10-11-17, 06:41 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
When our r/o system wasn't working (before DH replaced the tank), I was filling up gallons at the grocery store in those big dispensers. My son complained that the water tasted bad! I guess we're all really used to the r/o water.

I don't think it's super expensive though. I think the system was around $200? And we got a handyman to install it, so that was relatively cheap. I drink SO much water, it was definitely worth it. We also have the r/o hooked up to the fridge so we get cold filtered water too.
Whole house systems can run upwards of $1000, but would also take care of shower chlorine and hard water. Again, my town's water is safe, but gross, but a whole house system would be awesome. But, yeah, taking care of just your drinking water would be much cheaper way. However, our grocery store offers r/o water, so I think that is better solution for me.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-17, 07:30 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Whole house systems can run upwards of $1000, but would also take care of shower chlorine and hard water. Again, my town's water is safe, but gross, but a whole house system would be awesome. But, yeah, taking care of just your drinking water would be much cheaper way. However, our grocery store offers r/o water, so I think that is better solution for me.
I'd love to have whole house r/o but I think that's impractical here. The tap water is very hard, so we have a water softener. Without that, the hard water seems to kill everything (clothes, appliances, countertops) pretty quickly, and I can't imagine how often we'd have to change the filter on an r/o system.

Do you buy the r/o water in gallons? I don't think I've seen it here and we could definitely use it.

Old 10-12-17, 12:34 PM  
marki64

We have always had reverse osmosis for drinking water. My DH installed it under the sink. It's relatively inexpensive. It's the best way to go. We have well water and there is absolutely no bad taste.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 04:42 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

We are on well water and have Reverse Osmosis (RO) for our drinking water. This one is very easy to install and it is super easy to change the filters. I like it much better than our previous RO system.
https://www.amazon.com/Brondell-Circ...J9A/ref=sr_1_2

The only problem is filters are expensive. $75 every 6 months. I wouldn't mind so much, but we have a 2nd RO for our refrigerator, so it is is $300 a year. But I do love clean drinking water.

RO might be overkill depending on the quality of your water. When I had access to our city water, we just used a Britta filter for our water and it worked fine.