Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-28-21, 08:38 AM  
warriorprincess

For years my favorite fitness podcasts were Ben Greenfield and Bulletproof Radio. But they seem to be veering off more into pseudoscience and lifestyle, and both of them are a little full of themselves. I don't know if it's familiarity breeds contempt or a real decline. But they are good interviewers and I've discovered a lot of interesting things from them.

Right now I'm enjoying the Muscle Experts podcast, but since I've only been listening to it for a couple of weeks, I don't know if it has staying power.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 08:42 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Linda, I didn't know Cori has a podcast! I have gotten a lot from her YouTube channel. Thanks!
Sometimes I have to pause and rewind bc Cori gets to speaking over herself...but if you like her YouTube then you'll enjoy her podcasts

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 09:09 AM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Sometimes I have to pause and rewind bc Cori gets to speaking over herself...but if you like her YouTube then you'll enjoy her podcasts
Yay! I added her to my following list. It is ridiculous how many are on that list. I create playlists and add to them regularly so they have gotten quite long, despite having 4 or 5 different ones!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-21, 08:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Getting more into podcasts cause they are great to listen to while the granddaughter, whom we babysit, naps. Pop the ear buds in and listen to something and enjoy sitting lol. She's a toddler, need I say more lol.

Anyway, I really love fitness podcasts. I listen to Muscle for Life, Thick Thighs save Lives and just got into Pahla B's podcast as well

I need more! LOL What do you like to listen to?
Thanks for mentioning Thick Thighs Save Lives. I listened to the Murph episode and decided to do it again (did a half Murph years ago) and actually train for it so I downloaded their CVG app and am doing their Murph training plan. Yay!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 05-09-21, 07:58 AM  
buffmama

Ok someone please talk to a podcast novice. Where do you listen to them? Which platform has the most choices? Are the playlists like on youtube? Do I really need to add this to my life? TIA.
Old 05-09-21, 12:16 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Ok someone please talk to a podcast novice. Where do you listen to them? Which platform has the most choices? Are the playlists like on youtube? Do I really need to add this to my life? TIA.
I listen to podcasts all the same, so I say, YES! you really need to add this. From what I can tell, all the podcasts pretty much have the same offerings. I use one called Pocket Casts. I like the interface better than apple's thing. Before Pocket Casts I used Stitcher for a long time but they kept changing it in ways I didn't like. If you are a new user to it, you may like it. What "they" want you to do is to subscribe to certain podcasts that you like and then new episodes automatically download. I tend not to subscribe to anything because I like too many and I get in a certain mood for one or another and just go through them that way. You can stream or download, and you usually make some sort of playlist depending on the app. I think they make them fairly intuitive, so maybe armed with this you can figure it out. I listen to health/fitness, true crime, history, science, funny entertainment, and maybe some that don't fall into any of those categories. It's sort of "dial a mood" for me -- I pick something based on what I'm in the mood for and go from there. Enjoy this big new world, friend!!
Old 05-09-21, 01:35 PM  
Vantreesta

Buff, I listen to podcasts on Spotify (free version). As Bee said, you can subscribe or follow podcasts so new episodes show up in your feed (or whatever it's called). I don't download any but I have maybe close to 50 by now that I follow! Fitness, health, nutrition, horror stories, meditations, Bible study and devotions, dog training, national parks. I am the last person I expected to get into this but I listen daily to smthg, usually on dog walks. You can also listen to podcasts on Iheartradio, Pandora and Sirius, but I'm sure there are many others.

Old 05-09-21, 04:40 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
I use Apple’s Podcast App. It works well for me. I’m subscribed to six. When a new episode drops, it shows up in my Listen Now section. Once I listen to it, it’s removed from Listen Now. You can also delete it, if you decide not to listen to it.
Old 05-10-21, 08:22 AM  
warriorprincess

I use the Overcast app. The interface is better, the audio is better, and I like that it is easy to speed up or slow down the rate of the audio. I can tell it how many episodes to keep, whether to skip ahead when starting because you know the first few minutes are just advertising, the summary is at your fingertips. So many useful features, and the developer is a serious audio guy. It will shorten the silences, it normalizes the volume, it lets you create playlists, the browsing is quite good.

I think it's free, but I pay the subscription fee, I think it's $10 a year, because I want him to thrive and stay in business. I think it might be only iOS.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 09:58 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I listen to so many podcasts--books, health, pop culture,board games, true crime... there are podcasts for nearly any interest under the sun. I'm on Android and have used Stitcher for years. Most apps will let you follow/subscribe to your favorite podcasts and either automatically download new episodes or just show you what's new and let you pick which to download so you don't waste storage.

Also when something pops up that I want to learn more about, like maybe I just read an interesting book and want to hear an interview with the author, I'll search and download single episodes on that topic without subscribing to the show. I've discovered lots of new series that way.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
podcasts