Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-22, 11:18 AM  
bfit

Does running/jogging really cause women to "sag"?

I attended a sample senior exercise class yesterday at my community center, and I thought the instructor (a very senior citizen herself) was great until I got to chatting with her after class, and she mentioned that she had been a runner for many years, but her doctor told her to stop because there is a "band" around a woman's pelvis that gives out if you run too much, and if that band gives out you have urinary incontinence. This sounds ridiculous to me, and I can't believe any doctor told her that. Any thoughts or information?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-22, 11:24 AM  
Vantreesta

I don't have any information but I don't buy that any more than I believe every runner will end up with knee arthritis from the running. Just my two cents! I tend not to believe blanket statements like that. Will some runners have problems? Probably. Will all? I highly doubt it!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-22, 11:26 AM  
Sissy B

I recently read the book Let's Get Physical: How Women Discovered Exercise and Reshaped the World by Danielle Friedman. It may sound ridiculous to us now, but at one time women were told their uteruses would fall out if they overexerted themselves.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-22, 11:26 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

That sounds ridiculous! Why wouldn’t the same thing happen to males? I think childbirth is harder on your urinary functions than running. I actually think running has strengthened my pelvic floor because I pull in my abs when I run to protect my back.

I had surgery 31 years ago for a pelvic prolapse (caused by pregnancies) and started running after with no issues.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-22, 03:12 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I recently read the book Let's Get Physical: How Women Discovered Exercise and Reshaped the World by Danielle Friedman. It may sound ridiculous to us now, but at one time women were told their uteruses would fall out if they overexerted themselves.
I was told this in my teens, but not by a doctor, just an older woman.
Old 04-22-22, 04:12 PM  
donnamp

I think that is ridiculous - like someone else said, pregnancy/childbirth is more likely to cause an issue than running!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-22, 08:32 PM  
DCW

I read the same book. Lordy!!! The stuff in this book had me shocked.

It's an enlightening read. I recommend folks to read or skim read it. I was so shocked and it wasn't that long ago.

But it made me recall how I told my older manager that I ran track including hurdles. He asked me how I did it. I thought he was asking about my technique. No he really meant HOW like in his mind it was impossible to do.

This book explains his mentality.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-22, 10:05 AM  
Karla25

Tags
exercise myths, incontinence, pelvic floor, pelvic floor dysfunction, pelvic prolapse, running