Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-22, 10:30 PM  
loulou

You all are probably not interested in this. I did post earlier this month with William Hurt's passing. His video with Jane Kosminsky that introduces the Alexander Technique. I found this about a year ago and find myself thinking about the corrections that are taught almost daily. Whenever I catch myself slumping.

I found the YouTube video again. It's an hour and 15 minutes. Dry and fascinating at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoFyr-PSNM

I'm interested. It would be nice to find a permanent fix. A constant state of being vs trying to remind yourself constantly.

Thanks for the other links.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 08:24 AM  
mimikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou View Post
You all are probably not interested in this. I did post earlier this month with William Hurt's passing. His video with Jane Kosminsky that introduces the Alexander Technique. I found this about a year ago and find myself thinking about the corrections that are taught almost daily. Whenever I catch myself slumping.

I found the YouTube video again. It's an hour and 15 minutes. Dry and fascinating at the same time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IoFyr-PSNM

I'm interested. It would be nice to find a permanent fix. A constant state of being vs trying to remind yourself constantly.

Thanks for the other links.
I'm interested in all different possibilities . I never heard of this but I'll check it out. Thanks for posting!

Mimi
mimikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 08:43 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
What kind of foam roller do you use for that? There are so many to choose from.
I just use my old foam roller from a kit I bought years ago...maybe Karen Voight's? I like that is long and I can lay on it from the base of my neck to my tailbone and just traction. A chiro I went to years ago had a similar piece of foam to open up the the upper thoracic cage. Kind of trapezoid shaped. My dog destroyed that.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 08:54 AM  
Lorelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I just use my old foam roller from a kit I bought years ago...maybe Karen Voight's? I like that is long and I can lay on it from the base of my neck to my tailbone and just traction. A chiro I went to years ago had a similar piece of foam to open up the the upper thoracic cage. Kind of trapezoid shaped. My dog destroyed that.
So basically just a longer one then... There truly are a confusing amount of types to choose from. It's not completely related but for some reason your comment about the dog destroying your other one reminds me of my kids. I've been using a broom as part of my PT routine and I have it stashed with my other stuff because I've been using it daily... Yesterday my girls found it and turned it into a part of their "pirate ship bed" complete with taping a sail onto it.

"Practice makes progress." Jessica Smith

"There's always an option before we quit." Jessica Smith

"You don't have to be a ballerina to feel like one." Ellen Barrett
Lorelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 10:53 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelai View Post
So basically just a longer one then... There truly are a confusing amount of types to choose from. It's not completely related but for some reason your comment about the dog destroying your other one reminds me of my kids. I've been using a broom as part of my PT routine and I have it stashed with my other stuff because I've been using it daily... Yesterday my girls found it and turned it into a part of their "pirate ship bed" complete with taping a sail onto it.
Yes, just a longer one. I used to have the Melt Method one but not sure where it went. I might have loaned it out.

My kids destroyed so many of my stability balls and foam blocks!!!

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 03-31-22, 11:30 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I prefer a softer long foam roller. Melt Method sells them, but you could probably find a cheaper soft one elsewhere. Maybe OPTP?

I had one that was hard as nails and it was too much. (I'm kind of bony.)

My favorite foam-rolling workout is:

Flexible Warrior Volume 5.0: Foam Roll, Stretch and Recover

She alternates rolling with stretching.

I have also found that a short foam-rolling session before cardio and strength workouts seems to give me more stamina.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 01:22 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

This thread reminded me of a video I saved a couple of years ago. Dr. Yoav Suprun uses the McKenzie Method to help his patients. It is well worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLwDTP0dkB4

His website:
http://www.sobespine.com/home.html

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-22, 01:52 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I prefer a softer long foam roller. Melt Method sells them, but you could probably find a cheaper soft one elsewhere. Maybe OPTP?

I had one that was hard as nails and it was too much. (I'm kind of bony.)

My favorite foam-rolling workout is:

She alternates rolling with stretching.

I have also found that a short foam-rolling session before cardio and strength workouts seems to give me more stamina.
I wish I still had my Melt Method roller!

I do have that Flexible Warrior workout! It is good. Laura Roxenburg (sp?) also has a foam roller program that I've been interested in.

Old 04-01-22, 07:49 AM  
Rhonda

I have this also

and was using it for a while. But now that I have Peloton I seem to use those foam rolling more as they are short 10-15 minutes. Some are just foam rolling and some are rolling and stretching which are the ones I like.

I have three size foam rollers and use the long and medium length one more. I have been getting back into rolling it hurts but is so good.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-22, 08:22 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I used to have the Melt Method one but not sure where it went. I might have loaned it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Is this the one?

Tags
bobandbrad, foam rolling, high heels, pilates, posture