Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-22, 06:13 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Rotator Cuff injury, anyone?

I'm trying to decide if my shoulder injury is something that will eventually heal on its own with time and stretching or whether I need to go down the MRI road (I have a doctor appointment with my primary care set up for Wednesday).

I'm pretty sure I injured my shoulder around Labor Day (yes it has been 10 months!) trailering a donkey (not an easy task for those who have tried it). My shoulder was very tight and sore at the curve of the shoulder blade on the arm, sharp shooting pain. I gave it a few weeks to heal and it did improve. And while the pain went down, the shoulder got stiffer.

I worked on it with mild yoga for several months which helped tremendously but I still can't do a lot of moves without sharp pain in that spot. For example, when laying on the floor, I can't stretch both my arms over my head (I have to put a couple of blocks under that arm so it doesn't rotate all the way back to the floor). I feel it when sitting on the couch and I try to stretch my arm out along the back of the sofa. Things like that. Still a very sharp pain for those movements. I also wake up at night often when I roll over to that side.

I'm not in pain all the time and I can do most movements, but it has now been 10 months since the injury and probably 2-3 months since i've seen any improvement. Is this likely a rotator cuff injury? Is this something I should just learn to live with since it is not all the time pain? I guess I feel funny going to the doctor and saying, well, while I'm sitting here with my hands on my lap, I'm absolutely fine.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience.
Old 07-14-22, 06:28 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

Years ago, mine healed with yoga, but I didn't experience the pain you have described.
My opinion is that you get medical help and physical therapy.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-22, 07:26 PM  
Gams

I have the same problem. Mine started about a year ago and I don’t remember doing one particular thing that started it, but I remember getting out of a big truck and as I was lowering myself, my arm was a little behind my body and I experienced sharp pain. I had a lot of trouble with it for awhile and now I’m just really careful how I move that arm. Everything I’ve read online says that rotator cuff injuries will not heal on their own.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 01:58 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i think it depends on how bad the injury is. my rotator cuff injury took about 6-7 months, and it healed on its own. Classical Stretch helped in strengthening the muscles around the area and getting my brain to communicate to the affected area, so to speak. Similar to Gams, i think i got it from reaching behind in the car to the back seat area.

i seemed to have forgotten good advice from a physical therapist's seminar - keep joint movement in the plane it was meant to be.

if yours has been as long as a year, i'd try to get it checked.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-22, 01:58 AM  
Softshoe
VF Supporter

I had double rotator cuff surgeries. Still working on getting those arms strong and stretched out. An MRI will give you the answer.
Old 08-02-22, 01:20 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I'm back with an update. I had an MRI and it did show a rotator cuff tear. I was referred to an orthopedic doctor and have an appointment next week. I don't know the extent of the damage yet.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!
Old 08-02-22, 01:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ouch! sending good thoughts your way. thanks for the update.

early 2021, i got a different shoulder injury from carrying really heavy rocks. i now look at carrying heavy things in terms of "will it injure my joint(s)?" i tended to see myself as invincible because i work out. i am more cautious now.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 09:36 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

The rotator cuff is made up of 4 different muscles and I've torn two of them at different times. Both times I was lucky that the tears were small and I went to physical therapy and that took care of it. If the tears are small, they won't do surgery, but the orthopedic doctor you go to will let you know how severe it is and what the next steps are. Good luck!
Old 08-03-22, 06:14 PM  
Tinks

Hope your shoulder feels better soon.

I thought I'd post a link to a physical therapist who has a website/app that I'm really enjoying in case others are having issues with chronic pain. I've been doing the shoulder option, which is a 4 week program to help shoulder issues. She also posts a lot of short reels on instagram targeting different parts of the body. The website is jen.health, and her instagram account is @docjenfit.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-22, 12:46 PM  
Exercise Diva

I've had a rotator cuff injury for 4 months now - a vaccine given too high up in the arm caused it (it's a real thing according to my shoulder doctor). PT has helped a lot, and I'm starting to do more Classical Stretch which is also helping with my range of motion. I would definitely have it checked out and maybe start PT. I didn't realize how many exercises can make it worse, so it's helpful to know what you should and shouldn't do.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rotator cuff, shoulder injury, shoulder pain