Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-22, 10:46 PM  
bfit

Cannot Find Strenuous Senior Exercise

I've written here about this before in slightly different ways, but it's always the same problem. I am 65 and can't run, wear my weighted vest, do Cathe level aerobics, or do barre any more because of a foot problem. I swim, do water aerobics, walk, and ride my bike, but I'd like to be able to do something at home on a DVD (or You Tube) that is strenuous enough for me. Everything for seniors and/or people with limitations is way too easy. I do Leslie Sansone walk workouts but without the weighted vest they are easy. I also have Jenny Ford's Walk Across America, but it's not that challenging either. I went to a couple of exercise classes at my senior center (yoga and a toning class), and they were too easy too and also not aerobic. Everything was done in a chair. Does anyone have any advice? It's frustrating. I thought that when the "Title 9" generation got older there would be more age appropriate activities for us.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 12:25 AM  
Erica H.

Can you purchase a piece of exercise equipment? I use my spin bike since I can't run or do step anymore due to foot injury/surgery. I don't love it but it gets my heart rate up. I'd love to get a treadmill but don't have the money/space for it. There are tons of spin youtube workouts.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 07:34 AM  
Messe

Can you do kettlebell swings?

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 08:22 AM  
ChelePA

I have a bike and treadmill at home. I use the Peloton app for the cycling and hiking classes. Both really get my heart rate up. Workouts like Cathe’s PHA 2 and PHA 3 definitely have a cardio effect. I’m trying to remember her other low impact workouts that do the same. Flex Train and Supercuts might fall into that category too. The use of weights even light ones always kicks it up a notch. Not sure if you can use a rebounder but there are many challenging routines on YouTube.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 08:43 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Can you do kettlebell swings?
That's exactly what I was going to ask!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 08:46 AM  
bubbles76

PHA3 kicks my rear. So much so that I actually get angry at this workout lol! It's not dread inducing; it just makes me angry. So much sweating! I haven't revisited it. I need to get back to it once my knee gets better to see if I need to trade or keep.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 01:39 PM  
prettyinpink

I’m also thinking kettlebells, or metabolic weight workouts with relatively lighter weights.

To do Cathe’s like PHA, you don’t have to keep up with Cathe. Go at your own pace. Or look for an instructor that uses timed intervals and doesn’t count reps, and then don’t look at the screen as much.

It’s a little hard to answer specifically because foot issue can mean different things. Low impact is okay, but not barre, so are lunges and squats out for you?
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 05:48 PM  
Laurengmt

Spin bike!

This past Wednesday I did Coach Troy's Hardcore 100 (over 100 miles and over 5 hours on the bike) for the fifth time - on my 70th birthday. Have been fighting late-stage Lyme disease for years and have had a crushed knee that still gives me fits at times, so lots I can't do anymore unfortunately. But still work out with heavy (for me!) weights and spin, spin, spin! You can still get good workouts! Don't give up! Good luck.
Laurengmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 07:15 PM  
Scorpio6

YouTube, Chloe Ting, she has a bunch of HIIT workouts that will really knock the weight off and easy to follow.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 07:36 PM  
carly

Think 4 limb aerobics (with or without light weights) or kickboxing. Both activities can get your heart rate up without pounding your feet and legs into the ground.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low impact high intensity, low impact workouts, senior workouts, seniors