Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-22, 04:36 PM  
prettyinpink

I have found Stronger by Science to be a useful source for articles and podcasts. Though it is often way more than I feel like I want or need to know, it is interesting. I often skip over the beginning chat about powerlifting meets etc.

Here is one where they discuss protein needs with aging.
https://www.strongerbyscience.com/podcast-episode-68/
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-22, 05:32 PM  
lavna

Debra Atkinson talks a lot about protein intake and her recommendations are geared towards menopausal women. She has a podcast and often does stories on Facebook.
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 12:39 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thank all!

I've also read that it is best to spread protein intake throughout the day. The body can only absorb so much protein at one time.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 01:53 PM  
warriorprincess

Andy Galpin is the best resource I know of on hypertrophy in general.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe3...V36Qhkw/videos

Here’s a link to one of his shorter 5 minute videos focused on protein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fCtyTChU_U

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 02:30 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
Andy Galpin is the best resource I know of on hypertrophy in general.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe3...V36Qhkw/videos

Here’s a link to one of his shorter 5 minute videos focused on protein:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fCtyTChU_U
Thanks for this pointer -- his website looks like I could get lost for a while! And I'm definitely going to check out his podcast.
Old 08-11-22, 04:19 PM  
warriorprincess

If you like podcasts, I would recommend listening to Huberman Lab interviewing Andy Galpin. Actually, filter on "Muscle" for Huberman Labs. He's a neurologist who has an interesting perspective on muscle building.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 05:04 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
If you like podcasts, I would recommend listening to Huberman Lab interviewing Andy Galpin. Actually, filter on "Muscle" for Huberman Labs. He's a neurologist who has an interesting perspective on muscle building.
Oh, I listen to the Huberman Lab podcast occasionally -- I'll look for the one with Andy. Thanks!
Old 08-11-22, 05:13 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Check out Dr. Gabrielle Lyon: https://drgabriellelyon.com/

She's been on many podcasts, so you could start by listening to her and see if you like what she's saying. I haven't purchased anything from her, but I know she is consistently talking about women (especially "mature" women) need to increase their protein. If you want podcast recommendations, let me know.
Oh I LOVE her!! And Dr. Tyna (Moore?), who is more of a rogue warrior against everything, lol, but they remind me of each other because they build their whole philososphy around needing muscle. i want to be them when I grow up!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 05:18 PM  
JENILU

PS: This thread is a treasure trove!! Thank y'all so much (I am not the OP, but this will keep me happily busy geeking for a while - I don't understand macros tho and don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole. I already get stressed when people mention calories. I don't eat enough as it is (trying to work on that, its mental because of health issues and nauea as well), but if I bring "counting' too much into it, I will stress out so badly. Hoping there is some loosness in all this good info.
Bless y'all!!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-22, 06:00 PM  
prettyinpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
don't understand macros tho and don't know if I want to go down that rabbit hole. I already get stressed when people mention calories. I don't eat enough as it is (trying to work on that, its mental because of health issues and nauea as well), but if I bring "counting' too much into it, I will stress out so badly. Hoping there is some loosness in all this good info.
Bless y'all!!
Though I really enjoy listening to thoughts about what has been studied, I often feel the same way!
I think we can overthink these things. I think nutrition is important, and I do pay some attention to it, working on different habits as needed for my own health and goals. But then, day to day, I’m with you, I can’t get into regularly counting macros or calories; I just don’t want to live that way.

And some of these people or schools of thinking are also criticized for reading too much into very small studies or studies only done in animals. Like if you listen to some of these people (not only mentioned in this thread) they are not even elderly yet are taking dozens of supplements to “optimize” some metabolic pathway or other. That’s a whole other level of intensity, and there isn’t any research to show it results in healthier people than someone who is generally conscientious about good nutrition, healthy weight, doesn’t smoke, gets decent amount of sleep and regular exercise. Those of us who are doing those things are already a tiny percentage of the population, and that is 99% of good health. But that is easy to forget when we hear about 0.8 vs 1.2 kg of protein or the latest molecule that will improve glucose metabolism.

I also wanted to say I’m looking forward to checking out some of the other links.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building muscle, creatine, muscle building, muscle mass, nutrition, protein, senior muscle