Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-23, 10:43 PM  
bfit

Do you drink 8 cups a day, and if so, how do you do it?

I've been struggling with trying to increase my water intake to the recommended 8-10 cups a day, but I'm having a hard time. It causes a full stomach and bloating plus I wake up at 4 AM having to go to the bathroom and have a hard time getting back to sleep. Also, the only way I can get that much down is to start drinking again at 4 AM when I'm in the bathroom where I chug down 2 cups of tap water, and it's a yucky way to start the day. Any ideas?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-23, 01:20 AM  
Negin

I drink more than that, but that's because of the hot and humid climate that I live in. Nonetheless, drinking water can be such a pain!

I highly recommend that you watch this video. You may not need 8 cups a day after all. He does his research and he knows his stuff. In one of his books, he writes: "Never drink more than three cups in an hour, since that starts to exceed the amount of fluid our kidneys can handle."

If you can't watch right now, there's this article.

As well as this one.

Now that I'm older, I try to stop drinking at least a few hours before sleep, sometimes even earlier than that.

There's also this video - How to reduce Nighttime Urination. I haven't seen it yet. I keep hearing about him, and will go and check out some of his videos.

I also stop drinking a few hours before leaving home, since the public restrooms leave much to be desired.

I slowly go through two glasses upon waking, and then spread out my intake throughout the day, as much as is possible. I keep a tally and check it off. Also, I try to drink one glass after:
a bowel movement (sorry for the TMI)
working out
returning home after errands or whatever - basically anytime I come back home (except at nighttime, that is).
Old 12-21-23, 09:43 AM  
alisoncooks

I try to drink two 24-ounce bottles a day. It’s usually not so hard to do — especially if I have a sweaty workout in the morning. I can nearly drink the first one through that. (So that’s 6 cups.)

I count my daily 12-oz coffee as intake. And I drink another 12-oz of hot tea/etc in the afternoon.

When I get dehydrated, I have more phantom acrid smoke smells (thanks, 2020 covid) so I push to drink more water than I use to.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-23, 09:27 PM  
DD546

I drink a 16 ounce glass of water first thing in the morning. I have a 40 ounce tumbler with a straw that I have with me and SIP throughout the day. I drink herbal tea. I also get hydration though eating fruits and vegetables.
DD546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 12:35 AM  
Vantreesta

Grr. Server busy error, lost my post. I'll try again.

I regularly drink 80+ ounces of water a day plus a cup of coffee in the morning. I've done this for so long I can't remember any other way. I always have a glass or bottle accessible and drink whenever I feel a little thirsty. I almost never get in the car without a bottle of water, even if it's just to run errands in our town. I refill as soon as I empty the glass or bottle. There are some days I don't hit 80 oz but if I drink only 48 oz or less I get a migraine so I'm highly motivated to stay hydrated.

I would try increasing your intake slowly over time to give your body time to adjust, much like when increasing your fiber intake.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 10:05 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
When I get dehydrated, I have more phantom acrid smoke smells (thanks, 2020 covid) so I push to drink more water than I use to.
That's interesting, Allison - I get this too, but have always thought it was related to migraines (I've never had covid). Of course, dehydration can be related to migraines, so maybe it's more that?

My understanding is that any liquid counts towards water intake. Also, do you flavor your water? I use unsweetened lemonade packets (bonus is that the citrus is good for my kidneys stones) to create a lemon-flavored water (i.e., I use less mix/more water than called for to make lemonade).

On an average day, I drink:
*1 8-10 oz instant coffee in the a.m.
*1-2 12 oz cups of lemony water while at work (leave on my desk and drink throughout day)
*1 16 oz container of unsweetened iced tea with lunch
*1-2 12 oz glasses of of unsweetened iced tea with dinner
*32 oz container of lemony water - I drink this while exercising and then for the rest of the day after (all day on weekends when I exercise in the a.m., at night when I exercise after work on weekdays). There are days that I don't finish it (mainly weekdays), but my goal is always to do so.

I usually have to get up once every night to use the bathroom - I'm 55, so it's just a fact of life now.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 11:25 AM  
Leonana

I drink a lot, maybe because I live in the desert. I drink more in the summer.

In the morning, I drink around 18 ounces of half caf. I take a 40 ounce water bottle to work and drink that from 10:00 to 2:00. In August when it’s over 110, I take a 64 ounce bottle. I drink all of it and still don’t have to go to the bathroom much, that’s how hot it is. I work outside about two out of the three hours. I really want to make sure I don’t get dehydrated in August and September.

Since we don’t get a lunch, I snack on grapes, an apple and an orange during the day. On the way home, I eat celery and carrots. I probably drink another 24 ounces of water in the afternoon and evening. Sometimes I have a kombucha, I like the taste.

I don’t drink as much when I’m off work. However, I do take a bottle of water with me wherever I go.

I was drinking herbal tea before bed, but noticed it makes me get up more in the night. I drink too much in the evening, and get up three times. I need to limit my water more in the evening. Last night I skipped the herbal tea and only got up once. I wear a mouthguard and my mouth gets dry during the night, so I also take some sips during the night.

I find bottled and RO water makes me feel thirsty. I drink filtered water using a Culligan’s water filter. I love unsweetened iced tea, but try to limit the caffeine, it seems to make me go more during the night.
Old 12-22-23, 12:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
That's interesting, Allison - I get this too, but have always thought it was related to migraines (I've never had covid). Of course, dehydration can be related to migraines, so maybe it's more that?
This is the first time I've heard about "acrid smoke smells" - thank you. do you mean you personally smell it/taste it yourself OR your body gives off this smell that you or others can detect?

I create a "budget" for water for blocks of 3 hours. i have a 16 oz (has measurements on it) transparent cup. assuming you wake up at 6 AM, i try to drink 1 of these for each 3-hour block. this way, by 6 PM, you'll have completed 64 oz. if i forgot to do it, i double-up in the next 3 hour block.

in the beginning, you're still building this habit, so if the whole day goes by and it's 3 PM in the afternoon, try to drink as much as you can before 1 hour prior to bedtime. the 1 hour will give you a chance to void before sleeping. i wouldn't try to drink the entire 64-oz in 1 sitting, though. just do your best and try again the next day.

EDITED TO ADD:
when i feel tired, drinking 8 oz or more of water instantly wakes me up. i stopped drinking caffeine years ago.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 12:29 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

64 ounces daily, including herbal tea and "cran water" (look up Ann Louise Gittleman's fat flush water) but not including anything caffeinated. I start with a glass of hot water with a tablespoon of lemon juice. I have frequent blood tests due to a medical issue and my BUN level wasn't normal until I established the 64 ounces daily. 6 glasses wasn't enough. A glass about every hour will do it and I stop by 8 p.m.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-23, 01:20 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
This is the first time I've heard about "acrid smoke smells" - thank you. do you mean you personally smell it/taste it yourself OR your body gives off this smell that you or others can detect?
For me it's detecting a smell that isn't there. Olfactory hallucinations can be a symptom of migraines:
https://americanheadachesociety.org/...ts-that-smell/

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydration, migraines, water, water intake