Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear > Shoes/Equipment/Gear FAQ's
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-02, 10:35 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I have the Digiwalker too, but all the math I have to do to convert my steps to distance takes a while. Let's see, if 4,392 steps = X miles (as measured by my car odometer), then 12,478 steps = X miles (because I can't measure that distance with my car). Ha! I like to know how 'far' I've walked.

Anyway, you can turn off the voice. I probably wouldn't use that feature. I'm excited about the radio, the clock and the distance measurement though.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 07:13 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Waaaaa !

I'm so disappointed - I have to take my pedometer back. It froze up yesterday when I was testing it out, and again today 10 minutes before I ended my walk. You push a paper clip into a little hole to reset it, but it just kept buzzing and beeping when I did that. Every time I tried to reset it, it started doing another weird thing! Oh well.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-02, 10:27 PM  
Alison C
VF Supporter

Nora - What do you think of the Radio Shack model now??

Quote:
I bought my new one at Radio Shack (a CDN chain, maybe) and so far, so good. But I've only been wearing it for 800 steps so far. It closes shut so there is no danger of accidently hitting reset. Good price, all you Canadians out there: $22.00.
I'm interested to know if you still like it after using it for a few days! Will you enlighten me???

Thanks!

"Don't compromise yourself, you are all you've got." - Janis Joplin
Alison C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-02, 02:18 PM  
Charmed

My DigiWalker is junk!

I've only used it three times and it now only counts to 3! I've had it over the allotted return time and Walkers Warehouse says that I am stuck with it. Grrrrrrr... . I am not a happy camper!
Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-02, 05:29 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Hi Charmed

try changing the battery. I believe it was Cleda who said that her pedometer did the same thing and after changing the battery it worked again.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-03, 12:30 PM  
Faith

Hey Joni! I purchased that same pedometer, with the voice and the tunes and the radio, at Ulta cosmetics. ($19.99) I thought it was the coolest, but I was a bit concerned about it's accuracy. Plus, I might have left the radio lever in the on position one day. All I know is that rather quickly, my radio was dead and needed a new battery. I think that pedometer is a great idea, and a great motivator to waliking, but I returned it to Ulta because I really was really concerned about accuracy.

I also bought another talking pedometer at Sports Authority for $19.99. It would talk and announce your step count every thousand steps, but there was no music, like the Ulta one. I was concerned about accuracy with that one too-- so I returned it. They now sell the same pedometer at Target Greatland for $11. My mom bought one for herself and her mom, and my mom is very happy with hers. (What a great price, to boot, huh?) (And my husband just got what looks like the same one, for free, at a New York Road Runners race.)

Now I bought my fourth pedometer, a DigiWalker, for $35. Not all the Digiwalkers are the same, and this one measures milage as well as steps, but not calories. I purchased the Digiwalker because I heard they were the most accurate. Still-- I'm paranoid about the accuracy. I think I'm going to give it a few tests today to really check up on it. If I'm not confident enough about it-- then I might check into yet another brand which is carried at Ulta. I don't remember the name, but it has a lever which you can adjust for sensitivity.

As I said-- I'm really hung up on the accuracy thing-- but you don't really need to be. The best thing about the pedometers is that they give you a general guideline about how much activity you are getting on any given day, and you can use it as a guidline/motivator to increase the activity even more. So if I can't get the satisfaction I'm looking for from a 5th pedometer, I'm still going to keep using one. There's really no real reason to be anal about this whole thing-- and I need to just be satisfied with the fact that my activitiy level is up, up, up! (However, if I can ever get enough money to justify buying the pedometer/milage counter that measures the distance you've covered by using a GPS Satellite-- then you know I'm there!!! I'm such a freak! )

Faith