Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 03-25-23, 09:00 PM  
acey

Fighting peri belly

Hey - I just turned 52 (OMG) and it's been rough. I had gout attacks all last August, followed by various foot issues that really stymied my exercise. I don't eat nearly as much as I used to, yet I've gained 25 pounds since last year! I've been trying to ramp my exercise back up and count my calories, but wondering if perimenopause is a factor in my pooch belly. Just wondering if anyone has any advice.
Old 03-25-23, 10:23 PM  
Fonzie
VF Supporter

Hi, so sorry you are having foot and gout issues. I will turn 52 in a few weeks. Last period in 2019, so menopausal for a few years now.I put on 20 pounds after. A lot to do with Covid lockdown, depression, crappy eating, sitting around, and just plain life stress (caretaking for parents). I found perimenopause so hard, with lots of hormonal migraines. Menopause has been a breeze, comparatively.

I've started getting my weight and workouts back under control in the last year. Down about 10 pounds. Keeping track of calories is a chore but it helps. I couldn't outrun a donut at 30, and I still cannot Diet really matters now. I enjoy all kinds of workouts but find that heavier weights are my fun and have always been my friend. Currently doing Cathe STS 1.0, because I want to and have the time in my schedule for it right now. I have more of a belly pooch than I used to, but I feel very good for 52.

My advice is to be kind to yourself. Perimenopause is no fun but it will end Be patient with any health issues or injuries that you need to work around. Experiment and find the workouts that feel good for your body and that you will do. Take a rest day if you need to. Do what you can do to care for yourself each day.
How is your sleep? Insomnia has been an issue for me since my 30s. Still struggling with that a bit but working on it. Better sleep helps me manage better.
Old 03-26-23, 09:17 AM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm nearing 50 and have been perimenopausal for about 4-5 years. I'm still having regular cycles so there's no end in sight. But all of my symptoms are currently worsening, along with my weight.

I gained 35 pounds from 2018 to 2021 and then with tracking calories/macros I was able to lose nearly 25 of those. But in the last few months, I've gained back a few of those, even though I eat a very balanced diet and I actively track my calories and macros every day. These last 10-15 pounds won't budge, no matter what I do. And even though I did lose 25 pounds, I didn't lose a thing in my huge stomach/gut. It's like all the fat in my body literally all moved there. My already large breasts also have gone up and haven't budged at all. I honestly look pregnant.

My only advice is consistency over time in terms of calories and workouts. I'm hoping if I can just keep going perhaps someday I'll be able to lose this, but for now it's about mobility, trying to feel as good as I can (sometimes very hard), and trying to stay injury free.
Old 03-26-23, 12:27 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I’m 10 years past menopause, and I still have a tiny pooch, although according to my DH I’m the only one who sees it. I gained a bunch of weight due to a combo of menopause and a stressful job, and it took years and retirement to reduce my stress level and settle into a decent, but not overly restrictive, diet. Two things helped me—getting my thyroid numbers in balance (all of them, not just the one) and eating more protein. Turns out I wasn’t taking my thyroid meds at the correct time so it wasn’t working properly. The protein piece comes from some of the latest research (which I believe someone here pointed out) that as we age, we process protein less efficiently which makes it harder to gain muscle and consequently to lose weight since muscle burns more calories than fat.

Oh, and strength training has been critical for me, and I do more of it than I previously did.

So I guess it will take some “experimenting” on your part to determine what works well for you, and please give it some time and as someone else posted, be kind to yourself.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
Old 03-26-23, 12:59 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am long past menopause at 65. I do have a small pooch but I’ve learned to accept it, lol. I am happy with my weight & it is very stable, rarely fluctuates more than a couple of pounds. What has helped me is adding strength training to my fitness regime (I was a bit of a cardio junkie), thyroid management, clean eating, & intermittent fasting.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
Old 03-26-23, 02:00 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm 55 and finally starting to see signs of approaching menopause. I was fairly regular with my cycles until the last 6 months.

I stay basically fairly consistent with size and weight. I'd like to lose 5-10 lbs but am also managing the hormonal fluctuations and thyroid issues. The biggest thing for me is to eat regular meals, not in between meals, and to eat whole foods (avoid processed food).

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
Old 03-26-23, 03:45 PM  
acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I didn't lose a thing in my huge stomach/gut. It's like all the fat in my body literally all moved there.
OMG totally!! I have small breasts, so when contrasted with the pooch belly it's really bad. Yet my upper body and legs still look pretty good. If only I could "spread the wealth" more evenly throughout my body, lol!

Thanks ALL of you for your perspectives. I am trying to ramp up daily activity whether or not it's an official workout, but it's so different than when I lived in New York City and commuted by subway to work - getting in steps in NYC is pretty effortless, compared to working at home here in LA where the weather has been pretty damp and cold for weeks now!

Was wondering about supplements I keep seeing on my social media for "meno-belly." But I'm a bit wary of such things.
Old 03-27-23, 05:10 AM  
donnamp

I can so relate! I gained about 10 lbs since/during the pandemic. Honestly, my weight isn't an issue - I was underweight at the start of the pandemic due to stress. But, the weight I gained seems to be all in the belly area. Maybe a bit in the butt and thighs. I have been this weight before, when I was younger, but it was definitely distributed differently than it is now. I have had to get rid of so many pairs of pants - it is a good thing I work from home and haven't had to replace them!

In 2020 is when I started missing periods, then in 2021 I went an entire year thought I was "done" but then got a period in 2022. It is almost one year since then. (BTW, if you make it a year, don't be assured it is over - I went over a year and had a surprise period - also - don't freak out and think you have something wrong with you - get it checked out for peace of mind, but apparently it happens...). I hope I'm done now although sometimes I will feel PMS-y, if that makes sense, but nothing happens and it goes away. so I guess my hormones are still in some sort of state of flux.

Anyway - I am really not sure what to do about the belly - I don't necessarily want to lose weight as the rest of me (my face in particular) looks better/healthier - but I just hate having this "gut"!

I guess I should just accept it for what it is and focus on health and staying healthy with a decent diet, exercise and stress management. Speaking of which, does anyone experience increased anxiety in this stage of life? I swear, I wake up with a sense of dread almost every morning. It is not fun....

BTW, for reference I'm 55.

Acey - I think anything that is touted as some sort of miracle for meno-belly is at best a complete waste of time and at worst may be harmful. Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is and remember supplements and such are not regulated. And even things that are natural and good in moderation can be harmful if over done.

Donna
Old 03-27-23, 09:05 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Speaking of which, does anyone experience increased anxiety in this stage of life? I swear, I wake up with a sense of dread almost every morning. It is not fun....

Donna
Yes! I never had anxiety prior to these last five years, I was confident, didn't worry about much. But now, anxiety has seemed to seep into my everyday life. I have random bouts of anxiety where something I've done a million times is just now anxiety riddled, like driving, or about remembering things, or my job, or my son, or sometimes just an overwhelming sense of anxiety that I can't even pinpoint what it is.

Like I said earlier upthread, my symptoms are all worsening at the moment, so that could also be part of mine. Still haven't even missed a period yet and I can't even begin to describe how hard perimenopause has been physically and mentally!
Old 03-27-23, 10:16 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is and remember supplements and such are not regulated. And even things that are natural and good in moderation can be harmful if over done.

Donna
This triggers me a bit, ha ha. That new blue pancake syrup is full of junk, and FDA approved.

I did find an herbal tincture that has helped me a lot through peri. You can message me if you'd like more info.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado

Tags
belly fat, gaining weight, getting older, menopause, menopot, perimenopause, perimenopause weight gain, weight gain