Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-06, 08:48 PM  
KathAL79

So, is Geri Yoga really that bad...?

...because I did Geri Body Yoga this evening and *really* like Katy Appleton. I just clicked with her on screen persona and manner of instruction. She made me feel like I was practically in her yoga class, which was cool. The practice itself was just about right for me: the right level, the right balance between strength, balance, and flexibility poses, the right length of the flow, etc.
Yes, just about my only real complaint was Geri's silly comments and faces (though fortunately they weren't incessant). I read that Geri is incessant in the original Geri Yoga. Is it really that bad?

I also see that Katy put out a series of three videos sans Geri called YogaWorks. Does anyone (especially anyone in the U.S.) have these? If so, what are they like? Do you like them? And where did you find them?

Thanks in advance for the help (or commiseration)!
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 09:05 PM  
Sophie

oh geez, this reminds me that I need to send the Geri DVD back to Loretta!

Well, is it really that bad - honestly, it depends on your tolerance level for chat. We had some discussion on the check-in as to "is she just an enthusiastic beginner" or "is she an attention-seeking celebrity". So it's all your perception, really.

Katy Appleton is great.

(searching for bubblewrap and mailers.....)

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-06, 09:18 PM  
KathAL79

Thanks for the heads up on that thread, Sophie. Here's the link for anyone else who also missed it.

It seems Katy's Yogaworks DVDs are in PAL. Off to investigate if there's any way I can play those on my Region 1 DVD player and/or my DVD-ROM on my laptop... (Then I could have my English friend / classmate pick me up a copy the next time he's home on holiday.)
ETA: OK, so PAL format = very bad for U.S. TV & DVD player. Guess I'll have to email Katy (finally found her website!) and beg her to release her videos over here, too.
Old 06-21-06, 10:42 PM  
blue_hydrangea

I wonder this too; I like Geri Body Yoga and Katy Appleton as a video Yoga instructor. Geri's remarks are annoying, but not unbearable (probably because she isn't constantly making them). Most reviews that I've read on Geri Yoga state that Geri continuously makes annoying remarks, and I don't think that I'd be able to stand that.
blue_hydrangea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 09:33 AM  
yoni

I bought geri body yoga in London 2 years ago, it was on sale, I never really used it although it looks quite good , but Geri kinda turn me off and I've read that on Geri Yoga she was a lot worse and constantly blabbering.
I would rather see someone like sporty spice making a fitness video
yoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 10:06 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

I loved Geri Yoga (and Geri Body Yoga). I thought Geri's little chatting was quite sweet and I love Katy Appleton. Since I was never really exposed to Geri as a Spice girl, I don't have an aversion to her.
Old 06-22-06, 02:18 PM  
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loretta S.
I loved Geri Yoga (and Geri Body Yoga). I thought Geri's little chatting was quite sweet and I love Katy Appleton. Since I was never really exposed to Geri as a Spice girl, I don't have an aversion to her.
Me too! I like both practices, although Geribody yoga has a more pleasant feel to it - it is set in this lovely graden and the workout has more flow to it.
I actually like Geri as a yoga student (I don't know her as a celebrity at all).
Geri Yoga is similar enough to Geribody yoga, although Katy does provide a lot more instruction in setting up the poses, etc. which at times disrupts the flow of the workout a little bit, but isn't too annoying (to me, at least). It's flimed in a studio - sort of looks like a regular livign room or something.
However, if Geri's chatter bothered you in Geribody yoga, I wouldn't recommend getting Geri yoga - she talks more there.
Kath, have you seen the clip?

http://www.echobridgehe.com/trailer/geriyoga/

Vous pouvez sortir Mademoiselle de Paris, mais vous ne pouvez pas sortir Paris de Mademoiselle.
The ball is round, a game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory. Off we go!

Passionate about Kundalini Yoga and Running.
Berlin Marathon - September 28, 2008.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-06, 08:20 PM  
KathAL79

Lucie, I have watched that clip, and I noticed there seemed to be more set up in Geri Yoga, as well as the indoor setting (not really a factor for me). I saw a few different poses than in Geri Body Yoga, so I'm glad to see they're not duplicates of the other.

It's not that Geri really annoys me, it's just that I could do without the boobs and poo comments when I'm in my yoga zone. But she does have some good remarks at times, too, about how backbends are energizing or how she inhales faith and exhales fear.
I guess maybe I should be more specific: is Geri's chatter in Geri Yoga more along the lines of the boobs and poo remarks, or is it more along the lines of, "Am I doing this pose correctly?" and "I find this pose relaxes me?"

I emailed Katy about whether or not there were plans to release Yogaworks as Region 1 DVDs, and I've already gotten a short but very polite response that Katy is out of town and will answer my question when she returns next week. I'll keep you posted!

Funny story about the Spice Girls (which I never got into, although a few of their songs were ubiquitous for a while): when I was teaching high school, a fellow teacher revived the intermural basketball competitions where homerooms would compete at lunch time. My freshmen had no idea about their name, so when one of them came in one morning humming a Spice Girls tune, they decided to call themselves the Spice Boys. They lost very badly in the very first game of the competition and were instantly eliminated. So that's my Spice Girls baggage!
Old 06-22-06, 09:18 PM  
jmander

I couldn't trade Geri Yoga away fast enough. I couldn't even finish the DVD once. But I liked Katy so I ordered Geri Body. Since I haven't gotten it yet, I can't tell you what my reaction will be to her in Geri Body. IMHO, there are enough good yoga dvds to spend money on, so why bother with Geri Yoga? Part of my problem was that Geri's voice annoyed me.

Tags
celebrities, geri halliwell, katy appleton, katy bowman, yoga