Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-06, 11:03 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olexa17

Your neighbor that is losing a lot of weight without working out is (I am guessing) NOT someone whose advice you should take. Only because in my observational experience, women that lose a lot of weight like that either A) have those Gwenyth Paltrow metabolisms,
Don't forget -- Paltrow is a relatively advanced ashtangi -- she probably practices a couple of hours a day. An ashtangi like her with a demanding teacher (not videotapes) is probably light years ahead of most of us in strength, cardiovascular endurance etc. etc. I don't think it's all genetic with her. Mysore serious ashtangis are reed slim -- you kind of have to be to be able to advance in the discipline.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 11:43 AM  
olexa17

You are right I probably should have mentioned someone like Kate Moss or some other starlet who says they eat whatever they want and don't work out......!!!

olexa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 12:17 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olexa17
You are right I probably should have mentioned someone like Kate Moss or some other starlet who says they eat whatever they want and don't work out......!!!

OH yeah! Cocaine sure beats exercise for staying skinny per Kate M!! "Heroine chic", actually a term for a "look" the models took on a while back, and I think Ms. M was the lead in that one.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 12:35 PM  
MariaKatherine

What I have noticed in my own body is that d**t is the most important factor in fat loss. Second would be cardio AND strength training. Yes, they are both equally important; one is not superior to the other in fat loss.

To be more specific, I agree that intervals for cardio are the best because, although a lesser percentage of fat calories are used as the substrate, you actually burn more fat calories due to the increased total calories burned.

Moreover, with strength training, you need to do weights - not Pilates, barre workouts, Shape magazine type "toning", etc., but high rep, moderate weight workouts, a la Ripped! and Cathe.

This may not be true for everyone, but this is what has worked for me. Good luck and HTH!

"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
--Lee Iacocca
MariaKatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 12:42 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaKatherine
Moreover, with strength training, you need to do weights - not Pilates, barre workouts, Shape magazine type "toning", etc., but high rep, moderate weight workouts, a la Ripped! and Cathe.
This is a good point regarding health, whether it applies to an individual's "results" esthetically or not. Regarding bone density, etc., the work needs to be weighted and also the BONE guys say, IMPACT is important to make the bones build density. This does not mean you have to kill your knees, but you do want to GET UP ON YOUR FEET and do some heavy work.

Old 06-14-06, 01:22 PM  
MichelleRN

For bone density, ya don't have to bang on the legs with running or jumping all over the step...it'll work on your rebounder or any work that stresses the bones...lunges, lunges with weights, all of those low impact, hard work exercises will help your bones..bone loss is inevitable to a degree, but with clean diet and regular exercise - and keep in mind, plain old WALKING will benefit bones, you'll minimize loss...the body is very receptive to minimal input for survival (not talking buff fitness now, but basic long survival)..
MichelleRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 02:47 PM  
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonNYC
Don't forget -- Paltrow is a relatively advanced ashtangi -- she probably practices a couple of hours a day. An ashtangi like her with a demanding teacher (not videotapes) is probably light years ahead of most of us in strength, cardiovascular endurance etc. etc. I don't think it's all genetic with her. Mysore serious ashtangis are reed slim -- you kind of have to be to be able to advance in the discipline.
How true. There is a woman who only does Ashtanga at my studio and she is buff. She looks like a fitness model. I'd guess she's in her 3o's but who knows. I know her enough to say hi and I've wanted to ask her how she stays in such great shape but I was afraid she'd think I was strange.

Well, D__T is 98% of the formula. Now, just to turn everything upside down.... I was watching that fitness show on FitTv where the trainers from the GYM show take these overweight people on a cruise and work out with them. At dinner time, one of them asked "can you lose weight by just diet?

Surprisingly, the answer was yes. You can lose weight by just cutting your calories but without exercise, you won't look as good or be as fit.

All the trainers advocated a healthy diet and a combo of weight training and cardio.

For what it's worth - I try to play it safe and mix and match all intensities and styles of weights and cardio. Something has to work, right?
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 03:55 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop
For what it's worth - I try to play it safe and mix and match all intensities and styles of weights and cardio. Something has to work, right?
Great way to look at it.

Sandi
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-06, 04:28 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

I am not familiar with the various "forms" of Yoga, but what makes Ashtanga so effective? And how would Yoga build endurance? It certainly isn't cardio, or do you mean muscle endurance as in holding a pose for a long time? Is that what Ashtanga is, that style that holds the pose forever?

Old 06-14-06, 04:38 PM  
Talie

Here is a nice explanation of ashtanga along with pictures of the poses (particularly in the second, third and fourth series links at the bottom of the page). The practices are very vigorous and definitely have a cardio effect.

Tags
body for life, cardio vs weights, weights only, weights vs cardio