Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-06, 12:24 PM  
merganser

Strong Women Stay Young and ankle weights

In the above book they recommend 20lb ankle weights per leg. That seems like alot. Has anyone progressed to that? I would be worried it could cause some pain or knee damage but the book has good reviews.

TIA
merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 12:26 PM  
yaya

??? I can't IMAGINE wearing 20-lbs on each leg, and my legs are pretty strong. That just sounds dangerous.
Old 05-22-06, 12:34 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

a
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 03:53 PM  
normandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by merganser
In the above book they recommend 20lb ankle weights per leg. That seems like alot. Has anyone progressed to that? I would be worried it could cause some pain or knee damage but the book has good reviews.

TIA
Miriam Nelson who wrote the book, is with Tufts University and one of the most highly regarded doctors there and a renowned lecturer and conducts many seminars. That being said -- I was always afraid to go that high, and also felt her exercises in her books were rather limited, but they're supposed to really work well. Her balancing exercises really helped me go from toppling over in the wind to being able to balance on one foot in different positions!

Linda -- My knees hurt when I bend them too much and am trying to develop hamstring strength. Do you lift both knees at once when lying down, or one at a time? I still haven't found a good hamstring exercise that doesn't involve excess knee bending. Also, what is a hip extension exercise? Thanks.
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 05:20 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Wink

n
Old 05-22-06, 05:21 PM  
Nancy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H
I'm up to 12 pounds and have been told to increase the weight. I do a straight leg lift and a sliding move while on my back and hamstring curls on my tummy. Abduction, adduction and hip extension are done standing. I want to be at 18 or 20 pounds when I have the next knee surgery.
Linda (or anyone) is there and online site for ankle weights over 5-10 lbs?
Nancy
Nancy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 05:25 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

d
Old 05-22-06, 07:10 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merganser
In the above book they recommend 20lb ankle weights per leg.
I remember getting that book out of the library. IIRC, the leg exercises are very slow and controlled and the reps are low. Also, you start with low (or no) weight and progress gradually. So I'm not surprised that eventually one can go that heavy. I'm not sure that's the best thing though, especially for older and frail exercisers.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-06, 07:43 PM  
normandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda H
... To do a standing hip extension, lift your foot off the floor and move your leg backwards from the hip. I can use 18 pounds for this but I'm usually too lazy to mess with the ankle weights to do it.

Do you have green genies? If you do, hold a green genie behind your knee and do hip extensions. The hamstring works to hold the ball so it's less stress on the knee.
I remember reading about the ball behind the knee a long time ago, and can see where it would work. Guess I'll get me some green genies! Incidentally, how many reps of each exercise do you do?

I do want to thank you for always answering questions I've asked in the past as well as now, and to tell you how much I admire you for having the will power to work through the pain. I do wish you all the best of luck!
normandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-06, 09:38 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

d

Tags
miriam nelson