Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-05, 09:15 AM  
MARIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbarbie
As a fan of the WHFN videos, I don't mind negative reviews as long as they are constructive. But lately it seems like everyone wants to jump on Tamela because she's too _________ (insert description here).
ANNOYING! Yes I want to Know this becauses after doing a workout for a while these little things become extremely unbearable even intolerable. I often even find myself yelling at poor Tony during my P90x workouts. So someone over the top would really drive you nuts over a time. I don't think Tamela is the first pretty person to be in a video either. Pretty is fine, annoying is well.....
MARIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 11:24 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA
I don't think Tamela is the first pretty person to be in a video either. Pretty is fine, annoying is well.....
I don't even know who Tamela is. But, I remember Jen Peluso in Tough Tape 2 (I think). Her mugging, acting, pouting and posing in that workout made it so I couldn't do it. She would lift a medium weight for a bicep curl and get this look on her face like, "Look at widdle, pretty me, lifting this big, awful heavy weight. I'm working soooooo hard!" :rolleyes:

It was revolting!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 12:20 PM  
lalavanb

Jen P was a whole different bag of annoying, in my opinion.

Tamela has these mannerisms that make her look like she's auditioning to be a showgirl in Vegas- sexy pouts, little crinkles, rolling shoulders- the whole nine yards...

I like lean, but she's in frame a lot, almost as much Keli, and I'm finding I like it less since she's so over the top and so present... I'm not ready to give up on this workout, but I'm finding I pause before picking it up, because I know I'm going to have watch that
lalavanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 12:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalavanb
I like lean, but she's in frame a lot, almost as much Keli, and I'm finding I like it less since she's so over the top and so present... I'm not ready to give up on this workout, but I'm finding I pause before picking it up, because I know I'm going to have watch that
There is a really annoying background exerciser in the Urban Rebounding videos. Known as "Ms. HappyPants." I cover the TV with a towel on the side she is on and I don't have to see her.

I don't know if that would work for "Lean".

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 12:41 PM  
lalavanb

Thanks Alta, but she's centered alot so...

If you remember the old firms, where the instructor faces the gang, and the focus on the back ups, you'll get the drift here. Sometimes she's front and center in the frame.

Otherwise, that's a great idea for irritating back up exercisers in most workouts. Unless they talk...
lalavanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 12:42 PM  
TinaT

First impressions is everything to me. I am struggling doing some of these b/c of the instructors and how they conduct themselves. I know once I learn ther routine, I won't have to look at the screen so much, but still it's annoying. I'm not willing to give up on any of them right now, but I already find myself grabbing for those workouts that are truly pleasant to view. Anything with Kimberly and Heidi is always in my dvd player. I've only done Tamela's WO once through. I really like Keli also, and hope BBH use her again.

Whether you've only viewed them or done them, on camera presence effects you.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 12:52 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
There is a really annoying background exerciser in the Urban Rebounding videos. Known as "Ms. HappyPants." I cover the TV with a towel on the side she is on and I don't have to see her.

I don't know if that would work for "Lean".

I actually started to "understand" Miss HappyPants after she was a lead in a couple of workouts. For some reason, I can tolerate her more now.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 12:53 PM  
MARIKA

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
I don't even know who Tamela is. But, I remember Jen Peluso in Tough Tape 2 (I think). Her mugging, acting, pouting and posing in that workout made it so I couldn't do it. She would lift a medium weight for a bicep curl and get this look on her face like, "Look at widdle, pretty me, lifting this big, awful heavy weight. I'm working soooooo hard!" :rolleyes:

It was revolting!
The things we will do to get through a video! I think who ever invented the music on,cues only should be nominated for the Nobel!! The best is when your into a workout zone you don't really even notice anything going on in the video. I'll do a tape I had for years and I'll hear or see something and am shocked that I never heard or seen it before. Sign of a quality workout!
MARIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 04:13 PM  
Baballou

Quote:
no teaching, no corrections, no form pointers
I love Liz's reviews, but when she makes this statement, it makes me wonder if she's even got the same WHFN workouts I have. Mine are full of them - including Tamela's pilates instructions (the context of the above quote).

JMHO, but these workouts in particular need a few run-throughs for most of us to really "get" them, because they are so innovative.

Quote:
DISCLOSURE: I DO NOT have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. However, I would be more than happy to have such a relationship, especially if it involves free videos!.
Baballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 04:28 PM  
TinaT

Baballou ~

You are correct in say this. I just finished FC and Kimberly is wonderful at instruction and those little reminders we tend to forget while working out. All the ones I've done so far are filled with instruction. So much more than the original Firms. I'm not sure what Liz is comparing them to. Maybe that's the key right there.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tamela hastie, whfn