Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-05, 10:26 AM  
cmiyachi

Hi Liz - thanks for your thoughts on these.

I actually liked Tamela's pilates form and pointers. I admit she did have a few "come hither" stares that reminded me of the old firm days.

The moves on this set did seem super safe to me though - slowly done and carefully taught. I'd be interested in your comments on this.

I have a professional relationship with web sites that sell yoga downloads.
cmiyachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 10:31 AM  
MARIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbarbie
I could understand first impression reviews if the videos have not been released on the market and someone has first crack at them. But the WHFN videos have been out now for about 2 months. Many people have said negative things about the videos and about Tamela at first and many MORE have said that after DOING the videos the 2nd time around they were completely different and challenging. Why do we need someone else to tell us the negatives especially since they haven't done them. That's not very encouraging is it?
It encourages me not to waste my money!!!
MARIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 10:38 AM  
Megan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz N
Again, the marketing of these workouts as "science based" and superior - I didn't see much evidence of this in the set. Pleasant, yes; scientifically superior...no way!.
I had a similar reaction to the use of the words "yoga" and "pilates" when I did Lean last night. I have to say that this is the only workout from the series I've done so far, and I'm not sure if the others are any different. BUT, the box advertsies 5 minutes of yoga and 6 minutes of pilates. There was 5 minutes of stretching at the end, but it definitely wasn't yoga. There was also 6 minutes of ab work at the begining, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't pilates either!

So, is there any actual yoga and pilates in the other workouts??? In a way I'm releived that they haven't attempted the real deal (since that requires highly trained instructors which they are not) but it is false advertising to claim that there is something in the workouts that really isn't there.

I'm looking forward to your analysis as well. I sort of enjoyed Lean last night, and I liked some of the weight work but I'm not sure how effective this series would be for me overall. The cardio was very low intensity but that could be a good thing, especially for beginngers or people trying to stay out of the "grey zone". Depends on your fitness goals, I guess.

ETA: Come to think of it, it would be really cool if these segments were more yoga/pilates - like, as long as they were reasonably well taught.
Old 05-05-05, 10:54 AM  
Thenu

Liz, I am awaiting to hear your opinion about the WHFN workouts. I really do like your reviews and form pointers. There will be always some people who will have contradictory views for your reviews (either because of their love for the workouts or jealousy that your reviews are admired by many people). Please do not let those views hinder your thoughts about posting the detailed reviews of each and every one of these workouts.
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 11:03 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbarbie
I think people should actually DO these videos before they come on here and post opinions.
I have often posted and enjoy reading reviews of previews and first impressions. I take them as exactly that. And wait for other, more detailed reviews to follow.

As Liz did, folks make it clear in their review that they have not done the workout yet. I don't see any problem with that.

You don't have to DO a workout to notice the music, set, whooping, level of form pointers, production quality, an instructor's personality, safety, etc.

I have even posted reviews of videos that I have only previewed, and based on that preview would never do. I post why.

The more reviews, the merrier!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 11:06 AM  
benemma

Thanks Liz! I am with everyone on the "more reviews the better" front!

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great.
-Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own
benemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 11:11 AM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta
I have even posted reviews of videos that I have only previewed, and based on that preview would never do. I post why.
Yup! If someone dislikes a DVD so much that s/he can't even get beyond the preview stage, I want to know that and why.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 11:15 AM  
CourtneyOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan
So, is there any actual yoga and pilates in the other workouts??? In a way I'm releived that they haven't attempted the real deal (since that requires highly trained instructors which they are not) but it is false advertising to claim that there is something in the workouts that really isn't there.
I would say that the "yoga" and "pilates" are very far removed from a traditional understanding of these disciplines. I would label them yoga and pilates-inspired--but hesitantly, as I still think they are more of a hodgepodge of stretch, yoga, pilates, traditional abs, and, for lack of a better description, "Anna" (anybody ever get the feeling she's just making some of this stuff up?).

I have noticed some yoga influence--for example, in Upper Body Burn, there are some shoulder stretches with the towel that are vaguely reminiscent of the shoulder stretches in Erich Schiffmann's Backyard beginner tape. In that workout, there are also sun salutations, but heavily modified using the high step. One thing these workouts are *definitely* not is Ashtanga Yoga (as advertised), as all of the yoga-like poses are WHFN-ified variations on traditional poses and are extremely prop-heavy. Sometimes the sections labeled yoga are not even recognizable as such.

I agree with you, Megan, that it would be really cool if someone would do some workouts of this type with actual pilates and yoga! That said, I still like the workouts even if I don't agree with the labeling.
Old 05-05-05, 11:39 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

For goodness sakes, do we have a little side web ring that lights up every time a few of our vfers post? Hurry, get over and post something so and so posted an opinion, it must be invalid? Sheesh.

I've done over 200 videos, maybe more, and I certainly can preview a video and have a good feeling for what I'm going to like and dislike. I can tell if the cueing is time, non existent or late. I can tell if weight moves are going to work for me, or are too little or too much.

It doesn't take an exercise professional to realize that the "hand stands" probably are dangerous, ditto the pushups with one side of your body up 14 inches higher than the other. And scientific.. I don't trust ANY workout that claims scientific superiority.

I also wondered where the pilates and yoga were, but was another who didn't mind that there really wasn't any "real" of these disciplines. Like every workout I've ever tried, there are good points and bad point.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 01:22 PM  
lalavanb

The more reviews, the better! People can always post a new review, if after time, they change their minds.

Liz, I'm also curious what you liked and what you thought was a stinker. I thought FlexPosture and Floor Burn were stinkers. I like Lean.

I also got these free from WHFN...
lalavanb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tamela hastie, whfn