Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-05, 04:44 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

WHFN workouts - reviews and thoughts on previous commentary!

Hi guys!

I have been meaning to post about this for ages and do some reviews of these workouts and this post is cementing my commitment to do so!

At the beginning of the year I posted some thoughts about Keli Roberts working for Fitprime that got a bit inflammatory and I also posted some Fitprime reviews - some good and some not so good.

I am pleased to say that I was chosen by WFHN to receive the 12 DVD set, which I am disclosing to everyone here. I don't think that it will affect the slant of my reviews, but think that it is essential to mention.

I am just posting general impressions here - and then I plan to post actual reviews of these workouts both in GD and New Reviews, if that is OK with all.

I've had a quick glance at most of the workouts now and can say that IMHO, this set is definitely a mixed bag - one in particular was outstanding, some were OK, some were borderline and one was a complete stinker, based on the premises that they were safe, effective and motivating to a wide spectrum of exercisers. I am not reviewing these with my own fitness level in mind.

The positives - as choreographer, Anna B is all about drama, which I really enjoy - she tries to create atmosphere with her choreography - sometimes it comes off (and is awesome) and sometimes it doesn't (and becomes cheesy). Anna has put a lot of work into the choreography and selected an eclectic mix of music - it is perfectly synchronized to each track, which takes an incredible amount of skill.

The set and production values are top notch - tone and pitch of the music and the colours are excellent.

The use of leads with an extensive teaching background - Keli Roberts and Kimberely Spreen - these workouts were better taught than the others. I think Kimberley is a rising star - a bit stilted in Fast Cheetah, but magnificent in her other workout offerings.

The negatives.

Tamela Hastie - as others have already previously written, she annoyed me. I did not see one shred of evidence to support her pilates background in her leads - no teaching, no corrections, no form pointers and poor technique herself.

Some of the language used - too flowery and false sounding. At one point Tamela instructs us to "sit on our gluteals". Hello....where else are we going to sit? Hate to think! There were many "scientific" words thrown in - to a beginner, they may sound intimidating; to me, it sounded like they were all showing off. More effort in trying to connect and actually instruct us as an audience would be preferred.

The recycling of old and ineffective moves in the Kickbutt series - some minor improvements made, but the newer Fitprimes work better.

Again, the marketing of these workouts as "science based" and superior - I didn't see much evidence of this in the set. Pleasant, yes; scientifically superior...no way!

I welcome (and value) your comments! Let the reviews begin!

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 04:46 AM  
Liz N
VF Supporter

mods

Can you change my title to WHFN - I am such a dork!

"I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul" Savage Garden

Looking for some fitness inspiration? Visit my blog - see profile
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 07:14 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Looking forward to your in-depth reviews, Liz!

Carol
Old 05-05-05, 07:27 AM  
dnk
VF Supporter

Can't wait to read your reviews, even though I've already decided what else I will probably buy (and not buy). But if safety, etc. is highlighted as a big issue, that could sway me.

I know you like to do a very thorough job on your reviews- which is much appreciated- but could you quickly list which fell into outstanding, borderline and stinker?

Deb
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 07:38 AM  
metalbarbie

I think people should actually DO these videos before they come on here and post opinions. As for Tamela, I love her and think she's encouraging. I don't see her as "showing off" and even if she does mug for the camera, she should. Her form is excellent and she's pretty to boot!

I am over the moon with the Kickbutt series.
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 08:10 AM  
Redeye

Quote:
I think people should actually DO these videos before they come on here and post opinions. As for Tamela, I love her and think she's encouraging. I don't see her as "showing off" and even if she does mug for the camera, she should. Her form is excellent and she's pretty to boot!

Exactly! If the reviewer hasn't actually DONE the workouts, what's the point?

metalbarbie, I am thrilled with all 12, but the Kickbutts are outstanding.
Old 05-05-05, 09:01 AM  
Kimberly33

I appreciate all feedback on videos--preview/having done it, professional/"amateur", what have you.

In fact, I think sometimes it's easier to notice things like form and safety during preview than from having done the workout. It's also QUITE helpful when people report differences in their opinion from preview to having done it.

I think more video feedback is always preferable to less.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 09:03 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbarbie

Based on Liz's background and experience, and the fact that she tells us up front she hasn't done them yet, I am very happy to see her first impressions. With weight work especially, it's very possible to give an opinion on the safety of moves by just watching them, if one has the knowledge to back that opinion. A workout may be "fun" or have "great music," but still be risky.

Anyone who doesn't like "first impression" reviews doesn't have to read them, and others can take them with a grain of salt.

I find Tamela to be annoying and artificial as well. But how we each perceive her is our own opinion (and pretty obviously that). If she acts the same in other workouts as she does in Flexposture, I'd tend to avoid those.

Liz: I'm also interested in the ones you found to be outstanding and stinkers (is it the one I'm thinking of? )

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-05, 09:50 AM  
CourtneyOH

I too am looking forward to your comments, Liz! Thanks for your first impressions!

While I own the workouts and am enjoying them, I am interested to see what you will say about the safety and effectiveness of particular exercises.
Old 05-05-05, 10:16 AM  
metalbarbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Anyone who doesn't like "first impression" reviews doesn't have to read them, and others can take them with a grain of salt.

I could understand first impression reviews if the videos have not been released on the market and someone has first crack at them. But the WHFN videos have been out now for about 2 months. Many people have said negative things about the videos and about Tamela at first and many MORE have said that after DOING the videos the 2nd time around they were completely different and challenging. Why do we need someone else to tell us the negatives especially since they haven't done them. That's not very encouraging is it?
metalbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tamela hastie, whfn