Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-05, 10:20 PM  
talula

Question yamuna body rolling question

Haven't posted in a long while (fell off the video wagon due to back issues)- but I've been looking into body rolling.

Does anyone know if a foam roller might be substituted for the ball in some of the exercises? I'm reluctant to purchase yet another piece of equipment that may or may not be a good option for me.
(I've been hemmorrhaging money on chiropractic visits and various back saving devices that don't really work).

Also, are there any websites that picture examples of yamuna's postions/ exercises? I've searched, but haven't found any.

Any thoughts are muchly appreciated.
talula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 10:29 PM  
jaka13

I found a set of small balls with a instruction book called 'miracle ball method' - by elaine petrone. I don't think it is the same thing, but similar - and cheaper. It was at my local chain bookstore, Books-A-Million, but imagine they might have it at border's or barnes and noble....
jaka13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-05, 11:59 PM  
Thenu

I won’t be of much help but just want to share my experience. I can empathize with you as I am also suffering from back pain, for the past one year.

I tried using yamuna body rolling book with a ball I had at home, but it didnt help much. I got the red ball with back routine tape (it was a package from allaboutmassages.com). I really felt the difference when I followed the tape with the yamuna ball... I have now ordered the foot savers package as I have foot pain too. My chiropractor visits were not at all effective. I have finally stopped spending money for that. I am also going to try trigger point therapy.

Just want to add one more thing.. I did the metaboost dvd from WHFN today. It was really helping my back pain a bit.. Hope you will be able to find a cure for your back pain.
Thenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 12:05 AM  
getstrong

I found her book in my library system, and then bought her newer one really cheap on Amazon. Her first book is written for PT, and the second is written for the rest of us. People said in the last big thread that the second one wasn't as good because the text went overboard on unlikely claims, but it was cheaper and it's got lots of pictures that are clearer than the first edition ones. I use a cheap sportsball about 7-8" that I "borrowed" from the kids and pumped up hard.
getstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 12:30 AM  
getstrong

Adding a link I found with a demo video. The link is just below the purple "Studio" logo.

http://www.healthoptionspa.com/bodyroll.html
Old 03-29-05, 07:04 AM  
vdub

Well, I'm probably doing it all wrong, but I felt the same way about another expensive piece of equipment. I bought a firmly inflated, 5-inch (SpongeBob ) ball in the toy department at Wal-Mart for less than $3, and it works great! I really feel it and love body rolling. I'm using the Fitball Small Ball Release video as I don't have Yamuna yet.

Shari
vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 08:15 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub
Well, I'm probably doing it all wrong, but I felt the same way about another expensive piece of equipment. I bought a firmly inflated, 5-inch (SpongeBob ) ball in the toy department at Wal-Mart for less than $3, and it works great! I really feel it and love body rolling. I'm using the Fitball Small Ball Release video as I don't have Yamuna yet.

Shari
Shari, that's just too funny! I bought the SpongeBob ball at Walmart about a month ago with body rolling in mind. I'm glad to know it works. Now I just need the video!
Old 03-29-05, 08:28 AM  
sarayoga

I have a foam roller and have been trying Yamuna Body Rolling. Unfortunately I do think balls work better than the roller because they apply pressure more at a single point, and the roller is a little too soft at least for my taste as well as being not quite the correct shape.

Her balls are *very* expensive - they are Ledraplastic balls from the big company in Italy - does anyone know of a cheaper source for them? The same company makes the big Fitballs, but not the little massage balls that the Fitball people sell. So the texture of hers is similar to the texture of a big Fitball blown up to be pretty hard. On the other hand to me hers do feel softer than a child's blown up ball.
sarayoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-05, 10:14 AM  
getstrong

SpongeBob sound fun. Mine's 'StreetJam,' and it is textured with a fine zigzag pattern that worked much better than a smooth ball -- a couple others I tried tended to pop out from under me. I just checked and it measures 7 inches.
Old 03-29-05, 12:47 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by talula
Also, are there any websites that picture examples of yamuna's postions/ exercises? I've searched, but haven't found any.
Check out Danielle's comprehensive post - with links - here:

http://www.yogalila.com/2005/02/danielle_is_yog.html

Tags
cheryl soleway, fitball, yamuna