Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-05, 10:49 AM  
Kathy123

Tight IT Band

I just went to a physical therapist for my recurring knee issues-chrondomalacia patallae9(sp?) and he told me I had a tight IT band-and calves and hamstring...anyway, I remember someone mentioning a tape that focused on stretching out your hips, but I can't find the reference to it. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? or have any other recommendations for good stretch videos that focus on the hip? I'd really appreciate any input, thank you.

Kathy
Kathy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 11:10 AM  
Barb
VF Supporter

Hi Kathy! I have tight hips, ITB and calves too!!! Yikes - it's quite a combo! These are the videos that have helped me:

Power Yoga for Happiness w/ Eion Finn
Unlocking Athletic Power w/ Baron Baptiste
Fitball Body Therapy Small Ball Release dvd
Rodney Yee's Power Yoga for Beginners Flexibility

I do not have (but will buy) Rodney Yee's Yoga for Athletes which I understand is great for tight hips & hamstrings.

I'm sure other people will have some more ideas. (I've found that I really need to stretch out after running & spinning.)
Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 12:34 PM  
Kathy123

Thanks Barb, I actually have Yoga for Athletes but haven't looked at it for a while, I'll go dig it out and give it a try .

Kathy
Old 02-25-05, 01:03 PM  
Kimberly33

If it appeals to you, you might want to check out the Yamuna Body Rolling threads, in particular the Legs Routine (avail on DVD)--I did that last week and my knees felt better than they had in YEARS. It's a great different way to stretch your legs.

I second Barbs recommendations as well.

Kimberly
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 01:43 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Classical Stretch Intense Athlete Stretch also does a good job of stretching those areas. I first realized how tight my IT band was when doing this workout.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 02:06 PM  
Kathy123

Kimberly-thanks for the Yamuna suggestion. The PT has me doing some rolling on my left side-the really tight one-and I was looking for something similar to do at home.
I just went to allaboutmassagers and ordered the kit, and as they are right here in Portland, I should get it pretty quickly, thanks so much!

Kathy
Old 02-25-05, 02:26 PM  
SharonH
VF Supporter

In Yogilates 3, Jonathan Urla has some great stretches intermixed with the Pilates. One of the stretches he specifically mentioned as being great for the IT band. Mine seems tight, too, if the stretch was anything to go by. I wish Jonathan's stretch for that area was included in more workouts.
SharonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 04:34 PM  
toa2002

Hi Kathy,
Have you ever tried the foam roller? I'm surprised your PT didn't mention it. It's fabulous for the ITB (and just about every lower body large muscle group as well as the back). Unfortunately, there is a dirth of videos for it (if anyone knows of good ones, please chime in). Because of that, I've held off on buying one myself and only use it after some classes I take at the gym. I do have my eye on a new DVD pilates on the foam roller on buy.com by Afram somebody (but that's not what you want, now is it ). Be warned though, the first time, it HURT 'cuz I was so tight. After 2 or 3 sessions, though, that goes away and it's all good. HTH.
toa2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-05, 07:45 PM  
fschulman

I spent several months in physical therapy for a tight ITB. It turned out I also have arthritis in my hip which may have caused the problem. My therapist designed a stretch routine for me with exercises specific to the ITB and for the legs. I also had a leg strengthening routine with ankle weights and the dynaband. I was told that I would need to stretch twice a day and do leg strengthening exercises indefinitely.

I would recommend that you have a professionally designed routine rather than use tapes. I did yoga regularly and it did not prevent the problem. Unfortunately, tight ITB can be a chronic problem -- mine is. There are also some activities I was told not to do again. For example, hiking is not good, although walking is; jumping jacks are okay, but high impact on one leg at a time isn't. I also found that I have not fully regained my flexibility in the injured leg and can no longer do sun salutations on both sides. I need to use a wedge or blanket when I sit cross-legged at the beginning of a yoga routine. Anyway, I think it's extremely important to follow professional advice.
fschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-05, 06:07 AM  
Francesca

I had a long but good stretch tape by Charlene Pickett or is it PRickett where she specifically stretched the IT band. It´s on teh side of the hip, and goes down, right? It has a dated look but is an excellent stretching tape.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheryl soleway, fitball