Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-02, 08:14 AM  
dnk
VF Supporter

Thumbs down Review for Yoga Fusion: Power

Just put this up in the New Reviews section, but I'm also putting it here in case in anyone is interested.

Short version: I hated it.

Long version: Read on.....

Yoga Fusion: Power
Teigh McDonough

I have almost never hated a video on first sight; either I'm getting more selective with age, or this is just really bad. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

First, you should know that I am a sucker for: yoga, pilates, fusion and easy dance and chi kung or tai chi. This tape has a little bit of all of that, so it should have been perfect for me. Instead, I found myself staring at the tv, wondering how this video could have been made in the first place.

The yoga here was decent, but nothing to write home about and nothing you won't find in any of the other newer yoga releases. There isn't that much chi kung here- maybe four moves- and they weren't anything to get excited about, either. What drove me to actively hate this video were the Pilates moves. I am not a stickler for following the classical sequence all the time, although I do see the benefits. What I am becoming increasingly picky about is the number of repetitions, especially when the instructor makes modifications to the form. The Pilates here is so unsafe- particularly The Hundred- that there was no way I would do this video even once or recommend it to anyone under any circumstances. She does not discuss the proper breathing or the fact that you need to pull your lower abdominals in throughout the movements. She also performs too many repetitions of the Single Straight Leg Stretch and the Double Straight Leg Stretch. I honestly feel that the risk to injure one's back with this tape is very high, especially for a beginner.

The music and the set didn't do anything for me either. The music didn't seem to work for the exercises- it was half-mellow, half-expectant- so you were left with the subliminal impression something better was coming. The set, I believe, is the same set used for Denise Austin's Power Yoga Plus. I liked what they did with it better on that video. The color blocks hanging from the ceiling for this video were oddly jarring and only added to my annoyance with the tape.

Finally, the tape promises "a powerful aerobic vinyasa". Again, I just previewed the tape, but this didn't look at all aerobic to me.

Spend your money on one of Jennifer Kries' new series, or BREATHE by Petra Kolber.

Instructor comments: Her personality was neutral- neither very inspiring or very annoying. You can tell she has dancer's training and experience in pilates. She did seem to wobble a bit, though, on the yoga poses.

Deb Nam-Krane

2/24/2002
dnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-02, 11:29 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Deb

as we discussed off list, I only did Yoga Fusion with Teigh once. I don't remember it being dangerous, but I probably did it prior to knowing much about pilates.

The yoga/pilates/etc fusion tapes I like are Yogilates (lurve yogilates), alot of the Kries Methods.

I didn't like BalletPilates, in fact, I so disliked it that Yoga Fusion seemed good in comparison.

I'll admit to liking Yoga Booty Ballet (also w/Teigh), but I'm kind of sheepish about it. The music is fun, and it moves quickly. Great summer "light night" tape. But it bears "zero" relationship to yoga or ballet, and I'm not sure it does much for one's booty.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-02, 12:39 AM  
Portia

You should copy this and submit it on the new review form. There is another video review there & sounds like they didn't like it either.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-02, 10:35 AM  
dnk
VF Supporter

I submitted an official review yesterday

Right before I posted on the general board. I saw it there and everything, but I went back a few hours later it was gone, as were about a week's worth of reviews. Did anyone else notice?

Jane, talk to me about Yogilates. I didn't like the clips I saw- it seemed like a watered down version of both. But as you know, I'm a prejudiced, often wrong person. I'm so bummed that you didn't like BalletPilates, because that was something that looked good that I really wanted to like- you know, kind of like the Harry Potter movie!

Deb
Old 02-25-02, 12:18 PM  
Portia

Yes, I noticed, too. I submitted one and went and looked for it and mine has also vanished. I hope Wendy is adding them into the permanent reviews and they aren't lost forever because I doubt I'd take the time to rewrite it.
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-02, 12:19 PM  
dnk
VF Supporter

Portia, what did you review?

Just curious

Tags
teigh mcdonough