Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-04, 01:12 PM  
zenchelle
VF Supporter

Thumbs up Bryan's Audios

Hi,

One of the (many) great things about Bryan's audio cds is that they come with a very detailed booklet. So, you can use the booklet as a visual while doing the audios.

I'm really enjoying his audios- LSD, SS and his Advanced audio are my favorites!

His sequencing is always perfect for me, and I love the fact that they give me the feeling of being in one of his 'Live Classes'-- even if I am stuck here on the East Coast!!

Michelle
zenchelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-04, 01:31 PM  
Elisa B.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by rad
And I wish people here would shut up already.
Excuse me?

so I just take a breath and not be nearly as reactive as I would like to.

yeah, good job there

Elisa
Elisa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-04, 02:11 PM  
isa

Quote:
Originally posted by rad
And I wish people here would shut up already. It's such a turn off for others who are contemplating a yoga practice. But, hey, that's life, isn't it? And yoga is life, so I just take a breath and not be nearly as reactive as I would like to.
Not everybody loves Bryan like you do. Maybe thatīs difficult because you may feel offended personally or want to defend him. But itīs certainly not meant as a personal attack on Bryan or you, Rad. I also find Bryanīs teaching style annoying, but that doesnīt mean I am judging him as a person. I just donīt like his teaching style. It doesnīt work for me, but I know it works for many other people.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-04, 03:16 PM  
Sophie

Whoah, where'd that come from?

Quote:
Originally posted by rad
And I wish people here would shut up already. It's such a turn off for others who are contemplating a yoga practice. But, hey, that's life, isn't it? And yoga is life, so I just take a breath and not be nearly as reactive as I would like to.
Are you referring to Sharon's post about Bryan being talkative?

It's fair comment; and I think that people who are contemplating a yoga practice, including Daphne M, who has been doing yoga for some time, can take the information and decide whether the comment is relevant to her.

I love Bryan, both his teaching style and his personality. But he DOES talk a lot, and with less restraint on his CD's than he does in his videos. It's fair to let people who are contemplating buying his CDs know that.

I hardly think that pointing this out, particularly about a CD that is meant to be slow and restorative in nature, is going to be a turn-off; it enables a more informed decision.

Daphne: no, I don't think you would have a problem doing his CD's at all. Although I don't have SS, I have LSD and the original one; the verbal cueing is quite clear, the pictures in the book are well-laid out and helpful, and I think you have sufficient experience to make your way through any of his stuff. Come on! You can do Christi choreography. You can do Bryan

PS: the power yoga ones are harder to do in segments because he tends to do long series of poses on one side. LSD is fairly easy to break up, though.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-04, 04:22 PM  
lamcpine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by rad

Anyone who is seriously contemplating a yoga practice would find that SharonNYC is incredibly helpful. Her posts, and those of all the other regulars on the Yoga Cross-Trainers check in are insightful and respectful of others, no matter what their level may be. They have all willingly shared advice, tips, and their thoughts on yoga practices that they've tried, and I feel that I've benefitted so greatly by their knowledge and experience. I hate the thought that someone may not post an honest critique because they may come under attack - we all lose so much by that. I'm really upset that the spirit and intent of VF has been violated here.

Daphne- you've seen opinions voiced by people whose opinions I highly value. I'm leaving here early Monday morning, so I couldn't send it out then, but if you'd like me to send my copy out for you to try the following week, I'd be happy to do that, so please pm me.
Old 01-24-04, 05:39 PM  
Daphne M

Thanks everyone

That was very helpful.

I think I will go ahead and order the CD. I like the fact that I can break it up into tracks. (That whole section of hip openers sounds mighty inviting as well.)

Sharon NYC, thanks for the warning on Bryan. I have picked up comments here and there that have led me to believe that BK has toned himself down somewhat in the Power Yoga series that I love so much. I don't know how the edgier Bryan will work for me, but I feel comfortable enough with him that I'm willing to give it a try.

Linda, thanks for the offer. I hate to borrow things: I'm just not good about returning them. I'd be on every bad trader list in video exercise land if I ever started trading! Thanks anyway, I'm touched by your offer.

Rad, I appreciate getting all views on an instructor. I thought the opinions here were very well-worded. I know that it's difficult to hear criticism of an instructor who may be a personal favorite, but this is a consumer site and there are bound to be positive and negative opinions of every instructor or workout. I hope that you'll be respectful of all the opinions here.

To all, thanks for the other recommendations. I'm filing them away, so I'll have a good back-up if Bryan doesn't work out for me!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-04, 05:42 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Re: Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally posted by Daphne M
Sharon NYC, thanks for the warning on Bryan. I have picked up comments here and there that have led me to believe that BK has toned himself down somewhat in the Power Yoga series that I love so much. I don't know how the edgier Bryan will work for me, but I feel comfortable enough with him that I'm willing to give it a try.

Daphne, I think if I'm able to use these CDs you probably can too. Just as long as you're warned.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-04, 08:57 PM  
txkimmers
VF Supporter

This is all you need to know about SS

After the inversions, plow and shoulder stand, he gets you into a down dog and that is the end of CD1, with no warning.

**edited to add: whoops, wrong practice. See the post above with the details on chaptering to know which segment leads into the cliff hanging down dog***

Ok, so now you won't have to be pissed off about it when it happens.

At least on LSD he warns you that the first CD is ending....

Enjoy it, it's great.
txkimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-04, 09:58 AM  
suebella
VF Supporter

Just to clarify...

To answer Daphne's original question, yes, someone who practices yoga occasionally can certainly benefit from the SS practice. It's long, but structured so that you select certain tracks and fit the practice into a shorter time frame. The poses are well illustrated in the binder.

I do stand by the comment that Bryan's personality is far more defined in his audio CDs than in his original Power Yoga series. Works for some, may not work for others.

Personally? I like both SS and LSD and do them often.

How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.”
- Author Unknown, but definitely not me.
suebella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geri halliwell, yoga audios