Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-04, 04:27 PM  
Daphne M

Could an occasional dabbler follow B Kest's Spinal Strengthening CD?

Even though I enjoy yoga, I just don't do it much. Once or twice a week, I have an interlude with PM Yoga or Yoga for Energy and that's it. In days of yore, I was more faithful and I developed a good relationship with Bryan Kest's Power Yoga Volume 2. But we drifted apart.

Now I'd like to try to address what I perceive as a developing "hunch" in my shoulders, caused either by too much emphasis on presses and flyes and not enough rows and pulls, or by a lot of cycling and sitting at a computer. Or maybe just by age.

Spinal Strengthening sounds as if it could be a good way to lengthen and strengthen my back. But I'm not certain if I can follow along without a video. I know that the CD comes with a picture book. But I've BTDT with picture books and that method doesn't work well for me. So I'd like to know if an occasional dabbler (me) could follow along with Bryan on this CD or if it's too advanced for me.

All opinions and recommendations are welcome.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 05:10 PM  
rad

Daphne, until someone else who has actually used the SS CD ambles over, I will take the liberty of offering my $0.02. I'd be surprised if you couldn't follow BK. One of the beautiful attributes of BK is his utmost clarity. Also, his yoga is intentionally simple. Vigorous and challenging, but achievable. I can hear him saying something like, "What's the point of doing some fancy asana if you can't touch your toes or carry your carriage upright."

Edited to read: I think I remember him saying that he has taught 14,000 classes to date. He isn't some yogi in an ivory tower having other instructors teach for him, and when he does it's only because he is teaching somewhere else, so he really has developed the art of teaching hands-down!
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 05:31 PM  
lamcpine
VF Supporter

Daphne- Yes, if you've done Volume 2 , you could definitely do Bryan's Spinal Strengthening. The booklet shows each of the poses clearly, and shows an easier modification of the pose when one is available(mainly the balance postures) I think that you'd have no problem following alone by using the booklet. Just be warned that this is a live class, not a production like his videos, but it's a great practice, and if you decide to try it, then I hope that it helps your back. I usually use mine once a week, and you're right, after suffering with Coach Troy and Cathe's chest-intensive work, then your back could probably use the help. (And if you like this one, then in addition to all its other benfits Long Slow Deep will do great things your hip flexors)
Old 01-23-04, 05:40 PM  
Charlene
VF Supporter

Daphne, if you'd like to borrow spinal strengthening from me to try it out, just PM me to let me know.

I definitely think you could follow it, esp. if you took a few minutes to glance through the book first.

Charlene

"“Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again , come , come.”

Rumi.

Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
Rumi
Charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 05:53 PM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

Yes definitely. Absolutely. No question at all. All of Bryan's audio practices come with a spiral bound booklet with photographs and details of the poses. Bryan's instruction is clear although I prefer to listen to him on my headphones, turn the lights off and practice with my eyes closed to really get into the practice. I *highly* recommend this for strengthening and relaxing the back. It's especially good for taking away back pain. It is hard work but it's totally gorgeous.

I'd also recommend getting Bryan's Long, Slow & Deep. It's a little bit hard on the wrists to begin with but it's all nectar and chocolate. Eoin's Yoga For Happiness is also a must have. My back adores this practice and I think you'll adore magically hips. You can download Eoin's Tragically Hips here.

Ali McGraw/Erich Schiffman's Yoga Mind & Body and Geri Halliwell/Katy Appleton's Geri Body Yoga are also great for backs.
ATB,
- Lisa
who is positively floating after Eoin's Magically Hips practice
Old 01-23-04, 05:56 PM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

I forgot to include a link to an excerpt from the Spinal Strengthening CD: http://www.poweryoga.com/news/pose.p...type=lateralss This is exactly what you see in the book.
ATB,
- Lisa
Old 01-23-04, 05:57 PM  
rad

Lisa, nice description of BK's two CDs. They're on my Wish List and it's just a question of time before I cave. I love that they're each 90 minutes.
Old 01-23-04, 05:58 PM  
Lisa TV
VF Supporter

90 Mins

Daphne, are you looking for a long practice like that--90 mins? Or are you looking for something to open your back and shoulders that you can add on to your post-workout stretches?

Lisa
Lisa TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-04, 06:01 PM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

I haven't timed it but I'm pretty sure that Long, Slow & Deep is close to two hours long. I can't imagine anyone not loving this practice even with the (very) occasional HHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnn from Bryan
ATB,
- Lisa
Old 01-23-04, 06:04 PM  
rad

Quote:
Originally posted by gelfling
I haven't timed it but I'm pretty sure that Long, Slow & Deep is close to two hours long. I can't imagine anyone not loving this practice ...
The more the merrier - bring on Bryan!

Tags
geri halliwell, yoga audios