Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-04, 06:33 AM  
horsemom2

just curious

I'm curious to know what the resting heartrates are for those who avoid cardio completely and just lift heavy?

Barb S
who believes both my resting heartrate and blood pressure are lower since doing more lower intensity cardio and very light AWT, completely avoiding lifting heavy
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-04, 07:38 AM  
MuscleWoman
VF Supporter

Barb,

My RHR is 55. For a long time, I've been unable to do any "cardio" exercise.

I've just recently began trying (what you would normally consider to be) cardio, but it's a slow process.

For me, heavy WT has kept me fit and lean and is the core of my workouts.

Kelly
MuscleWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-04, 08:36 AM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

I'll only say one thing on the differences between Dr. Connelly and Covert Bailey, Dr. C puts his money where his mouth is and shows the results of his program on his own over 50 year old body by being extremely ripped. I've not seen Covert bare his abs?

I'm 49 years old and since I gave up killing myself on cardio, except for an occasional Taebo workout and even those are getting more scarce, I've been able to dump my BP meds, my cholestral which bordered on high, is back in the normal range, all liver and kidney functions are normal and I have the heart rate of someone 20 years my junior. I don't just believe my rates are lower, I had the complete physical and bloodwork done to prove it to myself.

During my correspondence w/Dr. Connelly, we determined that unfortnately his book was very poorly edited and there lies the problems w/several issues in the final edition, and the bp comments. My own 'former' dr. recommended a couple years ago that I do nothing but walk. But then he's not exactly Mr. Physical Specimen himself and while walking has great benefits and I do love to walk for sheer pleasure, scenery and fresh air, nothing has given me the muscles and vastly increased strength as lifting heavy has done.

I'm not lifting as heavy now, I tend to lift more as in scheme of Cycle 2 and 3 as Dr. Connelly has written in the BodyRx. This is along the lines of Slim Series and some of Cathe's higher rep workouts, for definition and maintenence. Naturally I'd love to shed more bodyfat as well! But the fact is, if you need or want to build serious muscle, you have to lift heavy to do it. Ask any professional bodybuilder and he/she will give you the same information.

However, in reality if one reads Dr. Connelly's book and other books or talks to people in the fitness industry, the truth is that 'abs are made in the kitchen,' and nutrition accounts for 70 percent of results or non-results, exercise preferance notwithstanding. So basically if I ate krispy kremes all day along, bench pressing 500lbs wouldn't change my body any more than would 4 hours of cardio a day.

I can't understand why this areobics vs. weight lifting has to be a constant argument? Why must people who enjoy weight training more than cardio and who have achieved results from this workout, have to defend their right to workout this way? By all means if you love your cardio and can't live w/out it, do it! But please don't put us all in the same box and expect that we'll all get the same benefits from the same workouts, because its simply not true.
Mindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-04, 12:13 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally posted by Mindi
I'm 49 years old and I gave up killing myself on cardio, except for an occasional Taebo workout ]
I thought this was a discussion, not an arguement. Hearing other points of view is what this forum is all about and I'm very surprised and saddened you are so defensive. The fact that I read the book must tell you that I was open minded enough to want to see what you were talking about. I'm not saying anything against heavy lifting or those who do it. I'm saying I don't do it and that I have some disagreements with Dr. Connelly. For that matter, I have certain disagreements with Dr. Bailey as well, but being a biochemist, I believe he has concrete knowledge on how the cells work and how aerobics effect whether they burn fat or sugar for fuel.

No one advises "killing yourself" on cardio. With all due respect, if it didn't work for you maybe it was because you were "killing yourself". There's such a thing as over doing it to the point where it becomes anaerobic and stressful and stress, as you may know, causes the body to hold on to fat as a defense mechanism. I won't bother pointing out the articles on over training to you since you don't do aerobics anyway. Suffice it to say, it can be overdone, but then so can weight lifting IMHO.

Another thing that disturbed me is that Dr. Connelly says that walking does nothing for the body and even says it's dangerous for older people. I'm an older person and walking alone helped me lose weight before I began doing videos and I only recently began lifting light weights so the jury is still out on how it will effect me if at all.

I've had all my blood work done recently also and except for the mild hypertension, all results are good. A person can have good numbers without ever doing cardio or lifting if he has the right genetics so unless the numbers were really bad and became really good as a result of exercise, the numbers don't mean much unless you can tell if they're good because of genetics or because of exercise. If you didn't see me and only look at my (good) numbers, you couldn't tell that I'm old, overweight and out of shape.

No one thing works for every single person and comparing workouts and results is probably the mainstay of this forum. How else do we learn but by listening to all points of view?

Sorry if my comments upset you, but I think it only fair to present both sides to those who need or want to hear it. You may as well shut down the forum if everyone is just going to agree with everyone else.

However, I recall, you did ask me to let you know my opinion of the book. Now it seems you wanted to hear it only if I agreed with you. Again, with all due respect, don't ask someone's opinion unless you really want to hear it. Especially someone as opinionated as myself. :rolleyes: Right Barb?

Nancy
Videophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-04, 01:28 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally posted by nabrudigam

However, I recall, you did ask me to let you know my opinion of the book. Now it seems you wanted to hear it only if I agreed with you. Again, with all due respect, don't ask someone's opinion unless you really want to hear it. Especially someone as opinionated as myself. :rolleyes: Right Barb?

Nancy
LOL since you asked...
there is also a tendency for some folks to become overly sensitive when their opinions are challenged or not totally accepted so a discussion can become an argument if either side reacts emotionally. The ideal goal of a discussion is to respect different opinions without being hurt if someone else's opinion differs.

Barb S
who tries to respectfully disagree but is not always successful and sometimes reacts emotionally myself but am getting better at it (I hope)
Old 02-15-04, 01:49 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
Originally posted by horsemom2
LOL since you asked...
there is also a tendency for some folks to become overly sensitive when their opinions are challenged or not totally accepted so a discussion can become an argument if either side reacts emotionally.
It was the book I was disagreeing with, not "attacking" her opinion. It was a case of dueling doctors. (My doctor can beat up your doctor)

As has been pointed out before, there are many different opinions even among the "experts". Why a person latches on to one and not another could be an interesting study in itself.

On another site Dr. Atkins is both loved and hated all on the same forum as is Dr. Phil. It's a smorgasboard (sp?) out there. So you have to take a little from here, a little from there and depending on your taste maybe you wind up with something to your liking.

Nancy.
Old 02-15-04, 05:39 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

LOL I certainly didn't think my post reflected a defensive stance, only one that attempted AGAIN to explain my position. However, if you two wish to consider it defensive because I don't agree that areobic is the only way, well c'est la vie.

I have no use for arguments about which plan is better, I tried to present my explanation to you in a way that describes how it benefited ME, not any one else. I have NO WISh to push anything on anyone and I was requesting the same consideration. The thread was started by someone who asked the question, I responded. I simply am pointing out that Dr. Connelly walks the talk, whereas I'm not so sure about Covert Baily. If that upset you, I'm sorry, but that's how I see it. Plus, there's a huge difference between losing weight and losing fat and that's where Dr. C's comments about walking come into play.

Honestly Nancy, I don't care if you agree w/me or not, or you either Horsemom. You both love rebounding/aerobics? Great, I hope you both benefit from whatever it is you do. But please allow me to express myself as well without taking it personally.
Old 02-15-04, 05:48 PM  
Mindi
VF Supporter

I might also ask why is this considered to be defensive statement?

I'm 49 years old and I gave up killing myself on cardio, except for an occasional Taebo workout ]

Do you think that because I was killing myself on cardio, I'm intimating that everyone else was and that its WRONG? No such thing was intimated NOR can this be construed as "Defensive" unless you were looking for it.

If you can't read an opposing opinion w/out getting all huffy and attacking the person w/that opinion, especially someone as opinioned as I am, then maybe you should stay within the box and not ask questions about a different way if you have no intention of being open minded enough to consider that something else may work for someone besides yourself, especially if you're just looking for confirmation that cardio is the only way.

Now I'm not being defensive, but I am angry at being blasted for no reason whatsoever other than presenting what I know personally, to be true.
Old 02-15-04, 08:32 PM  
horsemom2

just an attempt to clarify

Quote:
LOL I certainly didn't think my post reflected a defensive stance, only one that attempted AGAIN to explain my position. However, if you two wish to consider it defensive because I don't agree that areobic is the only way, well c'est la vie.

I have no use for arguments about which plan is better, I tried to present my explanation to you in a way that describes how it benefited ME, not any one else. I have NO WISh to push anything on anyone and I was requesting the same consideration. The thread was started by someone who asked the question, I responded. I simply am pointing out that Dr. Connelly walks the talk, whereas I'm not so sure about Covert Baily. If that upset you, I'm sorry, but that's how I see it. Plus, there's a huge difference between losing weight and losing fat and that's where Dr. C's comments about walking come into play.

Honestly Nancy, I don't care if you agree w/me or not, or you either Horsemom. You both love rebounding/aerobics? Great, I hope you both benefit from whatever it is you do. But please allow me to express myself as well without taking it personally.
Mindi,
I did not wish to consider your post reflected a defensive stance. (by the process of elimination, I believe when you used *two* you were implying Nancy as one and me as the second of the two, only cuz you mentioned me in the same post further down and nobody else).
and since you asked, I do currently enjoy bouncing on the rebounder or Bosu in combination with AWT but dunno what my workout preferences will be a few months from now.
Also, dunno why you seem to think I am disagreeing with you but just wanted to clarify that I was not seeking a disagreement and don't want it implied that I was.

Barb S
who is not taking anything personally and doesn't want it implied that I am and was just responding to a direct comment from Nancy cuz I have hurt Nancy in the past unintentionally as well
Old 02-15-04, 09:23 PM  
Videophile

Quote:
I might also ask why is this considered to be defensive statement?

Do you think that because I was killing myself on cardio, I'm intimating that everyone else was and that its WRONG? No such thing was intimated NOR can this be construed as "Defensive" unless you were looking for it.

If you can't read an opposing opinion w/out getting all huffy and attacking the person w/that opinion, especially someone as opinioned as I am, then maybe you should stay within the box and not ask questions about a different way if you have no intention of being open minded enough to consider that something else may work for someone besides yourself, especially if you're just looking for confirmation that cardio is the only way.

Now I'm not being defensive, but I am angry at being blasted for no reason whatsoever other than presenting what I know personally, to be true.
Nobody "blasted" or "attacked" you. I gave my opinion. That is all. There is nothing in my posts that could be considered an attack unless you are looking for it, to use your words. You on the other hand say I don't have an open mind even tho I took your advise to read the book.

I never said cardio is the only way. Never! I did say I don't like lifting weights, but I also repeated Dr. Bailey's comment, which I agree with, that "weight lifters (who also do cardio) have the best of both worlds, because they burn fat while doing cardio as well as after weight lifting." How is it you overlooked that?

I have tried to explain each of my comments, but I guess I'm just not making myself clear so I'll just end by saying I hope you feel better soon.

Nancy

Tags
body rx, bone density, no cardio, scott connelly, weights only