Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-03, 06:36 PM  
verygentlebreezes
VF Supporter

Anyone use soft weighted balls?

I'm thinking of buying a pair of soft weighted balls for behind-the-knee hamstring curls, seated quadricep lifts, and other leg exercises where you're supposed to lift a dumb bell. I simply cannot hold a dumb bell behind my knee or between my feet without dropping it! I'm also thinking the weighted balls might be easier to handle than dumb bells when doing Firm-style 4-limbed movements.

I'm not sure if I'll get enough use out of them though to justify spending $30 for a pair when I already have lots of dumb bells and adjustable ankle weights that I could substitute for those leg exercises.

So I'm wondering how others have incorporated weighted balls into their work out routine and what weight balls you use? Are #3 balls too light? 5# too much?

I'm ready to cave and order, but I don't want equipment I won't use! Thanks for your thoughts!

Linda
verygentlebreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 06:48 PM  
Susan

Weighted Balls

I have them and use them for Leslie Sansone workouts, but not for other workouts. The Leslie balls are 2 pounds each, and the cheapest way to get them is to buy her original Walk Away the Pounds set. BJ's, Sam's Club, and Walmart all sell them very reasonably. If you buy the weights separately, you'll often spend as much as you would if you bought the whole kit.

These weights come "deflated" and you fill them with water, so you can make them as firm or soft as you'd like. The only problem is that they're only 2 pounds each.

On the other hand, if you want to try in-home walking as well as experiment with the ball weights, this could be an option for you.

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 06:49 PM  
SassyGirl
VF Supporter

I have soft weighted balls and I really like them. Can't remember what size I have but they are either 3 or 5 pound balls. I mainly use them for the first 3 FitPrime videos which use them a lot. I know Karen Voight also uses the small weighted balls in several of her videos. I guess how much use you will get out of them will really depend. I don't find that I use them unless I am doing a video that calls for them, but other people might use them for modifying other workouts.

SassyGirl
Old 03-10-03, 06:50 PM  
Susan

Forgot something!

Marshalls was selling some 3 pound weighted balls recently, and I remember thinking they were very reasonably priced. Of course, I can't remember how much they were, but if you have a Marshalls near you, you could call and see if they have the balls. I know they were red.

Susan
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 07:22 PM  
kkshedevil

Love them!

I got my set at TJ Maxx. They're great! I use them for Karen Voight videos. If you get some, you'll find they're a lot more comfortable than a dumbbell behind your leg for hamstring exercises.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
kkshedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 07:26 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

The balls at Marshall's were only about $10.00 for the pair. They came with a Denise Druse instructional video. Target also had a kit with the balls and a body bar.

Walmart has 3 Lb. and 5 lb. balls sold separately.

Cynthia
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 07:33 PM  
kkshedevil

Love them!

I got my set at TJ Maxx. They're great! I use them for Karen Voight videos. If you get some, you'll find they're a lot more comfortable than a dumbbell behind your leg for hamstring exercises.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
kkshedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 07:43 PM  
Cxg

Sports Authority has them too!

Hi guys: I know that both Marshall's and TJMaxx had some red weighted balls from Bally Fitness for short money. They were 3lbs. I have also seen these Bally balls @ Sports Authority for slightly more, $12.00 or $16.00. I can't remember. I do use mine more than I thought I would. Hope this helps. Cynthia
Cxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 08:28 PM  
AnneMac

I have one 2-kilo (=4.4 lb) soft weighted ball. I bought it to use behind the knee in Karen's workouts. After I got it, I discovered a soft ball is much more comfortable for any exercise where you are resting the weight on your body--eg. on the chest for crunches as in Firm Strength. You can also use it for seated French press if, like me, you are prone to clipping the back of your head with the weight.

Anne
AnneMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-03, 08:48 PM  
verygentlebreezes
VF Supporter

Thanks! Calling Marshalls

Sounds like I'm going to have to get the soft weighted balls after all. Of course, I didn't really expect my fellow vidiots to talk me out of purchasing more fitness toys. Calling my nearby Marshalls now to see if they carry them.

Linda
verygentlebreezes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tjmaxx, weighted ball workouts, weighted balls