Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-21, 06:09 PM  
JENILU

I think the point most, I only saw 1 comment that may have said otherwise, was loving who we are, while still having body part goals. There is a healthy mindset and an unhealthy mindset for doing so. I used to have a VERY unhealthy mindset. For me, I have to come to terms with who I am right now because all the goals I have the energy for anymore are health ones, so i have had to learn to love this version of myself, not JUST a future version.
If we are getting into what God made, we should see all bodies as HE sees them, which means going a lot deeper than the surface.
I love y'all lets not get our mean selves on please.

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 07:15 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Why not? When did vanity become a crime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I concur.
I immediately remembered this exchange (coincidentally also involving you two) from five years ago in the thread Recent Karen Voight Interview.., mainly because there are similar themes here (such as thoughts changing with age, appearance, and being "inspired" by instructors) and also because I too have long wondered what happened with those two VFers, one mentioned in each post below, who made those comments about "inspiration."

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
In my opinion, anyone who is a fitness instructor in LA, especially to female celebrities, can't show signs of aging without a major loss in income. As I said earlier, LA is the most appearance-oriented place on the planet. It might be regrettable, but I think instructors who alter their appearance do so for business reasons more so than for any personal feelings of inadequacy.

Recently I was struck by a post right here on VF in which someone wrote that a noted older instructor's physique was not "inspiring". So even here, instructors are not able to show any signs of aging, at least to some people. I hope it doesn't go against guidelines to point this out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Yeah, about ten years ago, someone else made a similar comment about not being inspired by "older" instructors. Well, that VFer is about ten years older. I wonder if her idea of inspiration has changed?
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 10:16 AM  
Leonana

Nm
Old 08-02-21, 12:14 PM  
edensmom

I work out for many reasons. Number one is love of movement, followed closely by managing my mental health. Give me all the endorphins!
Of course I want to look my best, the best version of ME and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
People make choices for their bodies and their lives for their own reasons and nobody is due an explanation for that.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 12:18 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

why is there so much defense in this thread? I don't see anyone Judging. but everyone keeps saying referring to people's choices. aren't we talking about how your view of exercise may have changed from years gone by? at least that's what I was asking..

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 01:12 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
why is there so much defense in this thread? I don't see anyone Judging. but everyone keeps saying referring to people's choices. aren't we talking about how your view of exercise may have changed from years gone by? at least that's what I was asking..
Cheryl, threads tend to meander in whatever direction the posts lead. I personally don't think there is a lot of defensiveness in the comments and people have been respectful, but some posts could be interpreted as judgmental or dismissive of what was not a whimsical or frivolous decision. It's always tough to discuss a sensitive issue when not face to face and the choice of words is so, so crucial to avoid misunderstanding.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 01:16 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Ah ha. Ihad forgotten that. Especially when they are formatted like this. The other kind where you can go back and see the original post keeps you abreast. Or I’ll say me so I know what track I’m on

It’s like that thing where you tell one person and by the time it gets to the 10th person it’s a whole new story. ❤️🤤

~~~Cheryl

Old 08-02-21, 02:01 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Cheryl, threads tend to meander in whatever direction the posts lead. I personally don't think there is a lot of defensiveness in the comments and people have been respectful, but some posts could be interpreted as judgmental or dismissive of what was not a whimsical or frivolous decision. It's always tough to discuss a sensitive issue when not face to face and the choice of words is so, so crucial to avoid misunderstanding.
Agree.
It’s fine to disagree & all the posts I’ve seen have been respectful.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 04:07 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

#1 Reason - enjoyment. I love working out, it's a stress reliever for me. For that hour every morning, it's nice to just focus on my workout and not all the other stuff going on.

#2 Reason - to stay healthy and strong. As I'm getting older, this is really important to me. I want to be able to play with my grandchildren! And when we retire in a few short years, I want to be able to do all the things I couldn't do because I had to work!

I gave up trying to look good a few years ago. Mid-life weight gain/pudge put an end to that idea! I just want to be able to do all the activities I love to do. As I approach what society considers senior citizen age, looking good becomes less and less important.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-21, 04:10 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I gave up trying to look good a few years ago. Mid-life weight gain/pudge put an end to that idea! I just want to be able to do all the activities I love to do. As I approach what society considers senior citizen age, looking good becomes less and less important.
you will look good as you will be healthy. I'm a senior and I don't feel like it and I"m working my darndest every day to keep on moving. so Rice Krispies guys don't come looking for me.

~~~Cheryl

Tags
exercise benefits, motivation, self-acceptance, vanity