Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-21, 06:13 AM  
Demeris

Hi, Cheryl. It's good to see you on the forum. My reasons for exercising have not only changed over the years, they've become more compelling.

I started running in college so I could keep my weight down. I started swimming for the same reasons. I moved to aerobics in the late 80s, again, for the same reasons. I became a vidiot in the late 90s, again, for the same reasons.

As I neared 50, I started thinking about aging in as healthy a fashion as possible. I also, through this forum, discovered Essentrics, Leslie Sansone, and rebounding. I was still exercising to keep my weight down, but I also understood how important flexibility, balance, and strength are.

Now, at 64, I'm not so concerned about my weight, or how buff I am. I also know that my weight has far more to do with what and how much I put in my mouth (I wish I'd learned that much sooner) than with how many minutes I keep my heart rate up. I want to be strong and flexible and able to maintain my balance in all situations for as long as possible. I want to be able to put my roller bag in the overhead compartment by myself for the next 20-30 years. I want to keep as much height as possible. I want to be able to get up off the floor unassisted for as long as possible. I want to walk with a confident stride for as long as possible. I want to be able to twist and bend and do side flexion for as long as possible. Exercise is about living well, now. And I i wish I had known this when I started running back in college.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 07:12 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post

Now, at 64, I'm not so concerned about my weight, or how buff I am. I also know that my weight has far more to do with what and how much I put in my mouth (I wish I'd learned that much sooner) than with how many minutes I keep my heart rate up. I want to be strong and flexible and able to maintain my balance in all situations for as long as possible. I want to be able to put my roller bag in the overhead compartment by myself for the next 20-30 years. I want to keep as much height as possible. I want to be able to get up off the floor unassisted for as long as possible. I want to walk with a confident stride for as long as possible. I want to be able to twist and bend and do side flexion for as long as possible. Exercise is about living well, now. And I i wish I had known this when I started running back in college.
^^^Those are sustainable reasons to exercise!!
Excellent Demeris!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 07:40 AM  
Sollamyn

Cool

At 62, I have definitely changed my attitude about exercise and why it's important. I used to want to look hot, now I want to look healthy. And, more important, I want to feel well and be healthy. There are so many things I still want to do in life. If I'm tired, cranky, and unfit, I won't be able to reach my goals and do what I want.

For about three months, I had to give up my workouts and couldn't even walk around the house for more than a few steps while I was recovering from my broken ankle (8/29/20--my 1 year anniversary is closing in!). After that, it was slow going until late spring when I was finally able to physically and mentally return to regular exercise. I am now at a point where I can run errands and stay busy throughout my day without feeling exhausted by mid-afternoon. I love that feeling and I don't want to give it up. That is a huge motivator!

I think healthy is the new hot.
Old 07-29-21, 08:20 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
cheryl
When I say mirror motives, I'm referring to the endless selfies posted.
I'm glad they are not here because I'd probably not read many posts. I think people who weren't able to go to Gyms last year have created more desperate people for attention who could not get it at work or the gym.. So selfies have definitely boomed.

I'm glad they aren't here. That's one good thing about the continuity of VF. It hasn't changed anything at all.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 08:24 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Hi, Cheryl. It's good to see you on the forum. My reasons for exercising have not only changed over the years, they've become more compelling.

AMEN. since I've gotten dangerously sick, I now have a better appreciation, different view of exercise.. and it has nothing to do with what I am wearing to do it..

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-29-21, 08:26 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
At 62,

I think healthy is the new hot.
it sure is..

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-29-21, 08:46 AM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

Quote:
Hi Demeris,

yes, I fly away but like birds, I know VF will be home

~~~Cheryl

Old 07-29-21, 09:55 AM  
Karla25

Now that I’m older, fatter and happier, I no longer exercise to be slim. If I go more than a few days without exercise, I have back issues and am a bit grumpier.

When I was younger, I dreamed of being able to look (and move) like some of the instructors. Sadly, even when a size 6 was getting a bit loose on me, I wasn’t happy with my appearance. Now I exercise because it feels good. I value the gifts of strength and mobility and hope to keep them as I age. So many people cannot get around or are completely disabled. I always took mobility for granted as a youth. Now I realize how fortunate I have been. I guess now instead of focusing on my many imperfections, I focus on my blessings.
Old 07-29-21, 12:07 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I work out for many, many reasons - and yes, I want to look good and feel good in my clothes.

My focus has changed over the years. I now try to address bone health, working around injuries and balance/fall-prevention. I've added more rest days/stretch/balance/mobility work than in the past.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 01:04 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post

For about three months, I had to give up my workouts and couldn't even walk around the house for more than a few steps while I was recovering from my broken ankle (8/29/20--my 1 year anniversary is closing in!). After that, it was slow going until late spring when I was finally able to physically and mentally return to regular exercise. I am now at a point where I can run errands and stay busy throughout my day without feeling exhausted by mid-afternoon. I love that feeling and I don't want to give it up. That is a huge motivator!
I'm glad your ankle is doing better! I broke mine many years ago and it took a year (almost to the day) to heal. I'm facing foot surgery soon and will have to take a long time off from any exercise (or any weight-bearing at all) and am freaking out about it. How did you manage mentally? This is really weighing on me. I depend on exercise for the physical and mental benefits and for weight management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytbody View Post
AMEN. since I've gotten dangerously sick, I now have a better appreciation, different view of exercise.. and it has nothing to do with what I am wearing to do it..
I'm sorry you were ill! I didn't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla25 View Post
Now that I’m older, fatter and happier, I no longer exercise to be slim. If I go more than a few days without exercise, I have back issues and am a bit grumpier.

When I was younger, I dreamed of being able to look (and move) like some of the instructors. Sadly, even when a size 6 was getting a bit loose on me, I wasn’t happy with my appearance. Now I exercise because it feels good. I value the gifts of strength and mobility and hope to keep them as I age. So many people cannot get around or are completely disabled. I always took mobility for granted as a youth. Now I realize how fortunate I have been. I guess now instead of focusing on my many imperfections, I focus on my blessings.
I LOVE this. Thank you for posting.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exercise benefits, motivation, self-acceptance, vanity