Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-05-21, 01:01 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question O/T: Has anyone relocated lately?

We are house-hunting and hope to relocate in the next year or so. Yeah, I know the housing market is nuts right now.

It has been well over 20 years since I actually moved anywhere. Back then, I could fit most of my belongings in the back of a pick-up truck. Of course, I have a lot of stuff now.

I've heard that there a big pods that are dropped off and you fill them and the company moves the pod to your new location. I'm not big on heavy lifting of furniture, etc. so I don't know about that.

What advice would you give to someone preparing to relocate? Tips about moving companies, etc.?

TIA!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 01:19 PM  
BunnyHop

I'm in the same situation. My last move happened 20+ years ago. Feeling very much out of step with the times.
Old 07-05-21, 03:44 PM  
wendug

The only advice I can give is that if you use a moving company, DO LOTS OF RESEARCH!!! This story happened 20 years ago when we moved across state lines. Had a moving company give an estimate on our 2 bedroom apartment and set up a date for them to pack up and load the truck. At the beginning things go well. Company shows up and carefully wraps up and moves our stuff to the moving truck and heads out so we drive to our new location. Call the moving company to set up a time to receive our stuff and, SURPRISE, our belongings weigh more than the usual 2 bedroom apartment so we will have to pay an extra 1k to get our belongings back. It took an additional week to get our stuff plus an extra 1k, minus a tent that went missing. Overall, a horrible experience. I think the laws regarding state to state moving companies has changed since then. At least I hope it has. My story is not unique.
Old 07-05-21, 04:02 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

wendug I feel your pain! One move 30 years ago, they did not hire enough staff to load our house - we helped but took all night I eventually collapsed. The driver quit partway to our new home. Apparently disconnected the trailer and left it somewhere. When they finally showed up - I think a week late - the driver opened up the back and said - this is your stuff, right?
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 04:11 PM  
Leonana

The pod companies probably contract with movers who can load the pod for you, and also pack your house if you want that too. On arrival, they can send another crew to unload. My husband is a moving contractor, and he and his partners contract with different pod companies.
Old 07-05-21, 04:18 PM  
Gams

Alta, where did you decide to move to?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 04:41 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
wendug I feel your pain! One move 30 years ago, they did not hire enough staff to load our house - we helped but took all night I eventually collapsed. The driver quit partway to our new home. Apparently disconnected the trailer and left it somewhere. When they finally showed up - I think a week late - the driver opened up the back and said - this is your stuff, right?
OMG - I'm glad they found your stuff! How scary would it be for them to open the back of the truck to stuff that wasn't yours!
Old 07-05-21, 05:00 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
The only advice I can give is that if you use a moving company, DO LOTS OF RESEARCH!!! This story happened 20 years ago when we moved across state lines. Had a moving company give an estimate on our 2 bedroom apartment and set up a date for them to pack up and load the truck. At the beginning things go well. Company shows up and carefully wraps up and moves our stuff to the moving truck and heads out so we drive to our new location. Call the moving company to set up a time to receive our stuff and, SURPRISE, our belongings weigh more than the usual 2 bedroom apartment so we will have to pay an extra 1k to get our belongings back. It took an additional week to get our stuff plus an extra 1k, minus a tent that went missing. Overall, a horrible experience. I think the laws regarding state to state moving companies has changed since then. At least I hope it has. My story is not unique.
My husband was a driver for a large moving company. He would get frustrated with the salesman, because they would underestimate how much the load weighed. They want to make a sale, so quote a lower price.

I just asked him, and he said it's now illegal for them to hold your household goods hostage for more money. My husband would be paid based on weight. However, if it weighs more than the quote, he did not get paid the difference. Which is not good for the drivers, since they pay more in fuel and labor with more weight. I asked him how they resolve it, and he said the driver has to contest it before he loads the house, and the weight has to be 10% more than the quote. Then the salesman has to come out to the house and let the customer know of the increased price. He also said it depended on if it was "bound" shipment. If it's bound, the price is not increased. If it's not bound, then the price is based on whatever it weighs.

He no longer works for the bigger companies, for various reasons. So he and two partners formed their own small company and contract out for local moves.
Old 07-05-21, 05:50 PM  
Hsim

In March my husband and I relocated from Long Island, NY to Sonoma county CA. The biggest thing we learned was that with an interstate move it can take up to 3 weeks to get your household goods.
We hopped on a plane and flew to San Francisco, then rented a car and drove about 90 minutes to our new house. This was on March 17th - well surprise our furniture did not arrive until April 2nd. Long story short, we needed an air mattress, small camping table and a number of other items to see us through until we got our stuff.
The move was very expensive as we had to relocate our home furnishings, 2 cars and 3 pets.
The good thing is I'm glad we moved out of NY this year. Property taxes have increased quite a bit this year due to school taxes and reassessments. I heard that everyone back there is complaining and moving.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-21, 07:27 PM  
schoolgirl-01

we moved from Westchester County, NY to Parkland, Fl seven years ago. we used United Van Lines. they were excellent. they came to our home and packed everything and not one thing was broken or damaged. we have a lot of stuff - a recording studio and tons of musical equipment, an art studio for me with tons of equipment, and a gym with tons of equipment. the entire cost including tip was about $12,000.

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/
schoolgirl-01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off topic, relocating, retirement locations